What moves the midline?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

freya333

What moves the midline?

#1 Post by freya333 »

hi guys

just a quickie - my bottom midline is 3mm out - how does it move around to become central, is it the elastics?

Cos if so, i've had mine on for a few weeks now and can't see anything moving, in fact i've not even had any descomfort (except in the first few days and even then it was only the two teeth that the elastics were attached to on the top!)

Cheers!!

Train tracks Feb 05-Dec 06

freya333

#2 Post by freya333 »

sorry - typo - discomfort of course!

JumpTheDitch

#3 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Hey freya333,

I'm far from an expert on all things bracial (that's my new adjective for the day!) since this is all new to me but I asked that same question at my ortho's last week. Don't quote me on this but apparently it depends on whether it's the top arch that's out or the bottom arch (so one of the orthos told me anyway).

I don't know how it works in other cases (seeing everyone's case is so different) but for my situation (extraction gaps to close in the upper arch), they would take the degree of malaligned midline into account, and adjust their power chain usage accordingly. So they'd pull one side back more than the other to even it up, culminating in a centred midline.

If it's the bottom arch that's squiff, apparently that's where elastics come in. My "squiffness" is in the lower arch, so elastics are apparently in my future, along with power chains for extraction gaps in the top.

I'm not too sure how it all works if it's your upper arch that's off-centre, but you don't have extraction gaps to close; maybe that's one for the docs!

Good luck with your elastics! :)

Kell

#4 Post by Kell »

I can't answer your question but I have been wondering that myself. My midline was okay before I had braces put on and not the top is way off from where it was. My midline has shifted to the left a lot. It was the braces that moved it in the first place so I am thinking that in my case it can be fixed again with just the braces. I'm sure it all depends on the patient.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

adollface

#5 Post by adollface »

I might be able to help but again no expert here. My upper midline was off and I had no extraction. It was corrected with just elastics. It took some time (2 1/2 months). It's a slow process I think.

Amy
Damon 2's top and bottom
braced 12-16-04

brandee987

#6 Post by brandee987 »

My midline was okay before I had braces put on and not the top is way off from where it was. My midline has shifted to the left a lot.
Kell This is me too!! My top midine was perfect now its off about 3 mm to the left.. I hate looking at my off midline.. I mentioned at my appt and they put a powerchain on the front 4 teeth but I do not see how that will correct the midline.... I am gonna ask next time I go in again! :)
Ceramic Upper braces: November 29, 2005
Metal Lowers go on: March 7th, 2006

kirst1583

#7 Post by kirst1583 »

My midline is almost fixed (not sure how far out it was before - my guess is about half a tooth space).
The only way it has been corrected is elastics. A stronger one on the left.. i'm assuming to pull things across.
It's worked great. Has been 6 weeks and is almost perfect.

dena

#8 Post by dena »

no clue. my midline was a tiny bit off...i saw it but the ortho hasn't ever mentioned it necessarily. but my braces corrected the midline (extractions, too)

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

rsprouse

Re: What moves the midline?

#9 Post by rsprouse »

freya333 wrote:hi guys

just a quickie - my bottom midline is 3mm out - how does it move around to become central, is it the elastics?

Cos if so, i've had mine on for a few weeks now and can't see anything moving, in fact i've not even had any descomfort (except in the first few days and even then it was only the two teeth that the elastics were attached to on the top!)

Cheers!!
Hi,

Forces move the midline :)

The force of the archwire on the brackets can move the midline by shifting the location of the teeth. But the most common way is via elastics. The force of the bands moves an area of the arch at one time and articulates them with the opposing arch. Don't worry, the elastics will give you some short term pain over time.

Best,
Rory

mtbrncofn

#10 Post by mtbrncofn »

My midline got a tad bit off and they used one elastic to correct it. It only took a month. Sorry I can't help you out with a measurement or anything. It was barely noticeable though.

I can't believe you have no discomfort with those darn things. Within hours of mine, I was in agony.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

freya333

#11 Post by freya333 »

hi guys

Thanks for all your replies - i think i'll have to ask my ortho what's going on when i see him on the 3rd

because.... i've had these elastics on now for 4 weeks 4 days (i have just counted!), i can't see a blind bit of difference to any of my teeth, or the midline etc... AND there is no discomfort or pain! Hmm!

kirst1583

#12 Post by kirst1583 »

What strength elastics are you using?
And in what configuration?
I'm assuming those 2 factors would make a big difference!
Mine is 3 and 1/2 ounces for one elastic and 6 for the other (just so you have something to compare to). I definitely felt the pain when I 1st got them.. after about a week it was back to normal though.