4 pre molars out yesterday- i am a freak of nature

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sonyablade

4 pre molars out yesterday- i am a freak of nature

#1 Post by sonyablade »

Well I had my extractions yesterday evening- 4 pre molars. I wish I could say it was easy but it wasn't. I had the gas so I was pretty relaxed but my top teeth did not want to come out. The first one the dentist tried to pull gave him alot of problems. It ended up breaking off and they had to drill and use alot of different tools- it turns out that tooth had 3 roots! The dentist said that is extremely rare. The other top tooth had 2 roots it didn't break but it was a long hard struggle to come out. The bottom two came out much easier but the dentist said it wasn't as easy as it should have been- he says my roots are very long. I was soooo uncomfortable last night and the bleeding went on until this morning. I took two Vicodin last night to go to sleep. Today I am taking Motrin 800 but I still haven't eaten anything. My mouth is very sore- I think because of all the pulling and tugging- and my lip was cut in the process. I am really depressed about the holes in my mouth because they are premolars they are visible when i smile- i feel like a hillbilly. :( To top it off my braces are doing absolutely nothing right now. They forgot to put my spacers in on my records appointment so when I got my braces put on on 3/9 they only put on the brackets and a small arch wire that connects my front teeth. So basically they are just for show- no movement at all. Because my ortho is so overbooked I now have to wait until 4/ 17 to have the spacers put in and then a week later for my first adjustment. So I have a month of walking around with braces and holes in my mouth for nothing. I am sorry for the long rant I am just frustrated with slooooow progress. :x

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

Hi, I hope you fee better soon. That is crazy that you have to wait so long for the ortho...are you sure the wire on the front teeth is just for show?

Sounds like you didn't have an easy tooth extraction day. Some teeth are really stubborn aren't they?! I had a baby tooth taken out last november and it turned out to be a complicated extraction with tons of pulling, tools, and stitches at the end. My jaw hurt for a few days and I could't talk for about 4 days but at the end, you will see it's all worth it.

Eat ice cream and things that are really cold, it makes your mouth feel SO good, especially when the jaw any everything hurts.

Hang in there :P

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

katy

#3 Post by katy »

Hi Sonyablade,

I feel your pain... I had all four second pre-molars extracted prior to being braced 20 months ago. I had nothing as bad as what you went through - the worst thing was one of my lowers had a hook on the end of the root so it took ages for my dentist to pull it and when she finally got it out, it had torn up my gums on the way up. :soremouth:

Anyway, now begins the fun stuff - watching your teeth transform... It is a long and slow process (for most) so hang in there. Your teeth will start looking great in no time... :mrgreen:

Good Luck with everything!

Katy

ingyandbert

#4 Post by ingyandbert »

On the positive side, you sure don't have to worry about your teeth just falling out!

Regarding the arch wire, of course it's doing something! My lower wire is not connected all the way to the back and after only 2 months the difference is HUGE. And that's without extractions.

Hang in there!

sonyablade

#5 Post by sonyablade »

Thanks for the support everybody! This board is great! :D About the arch wire- the teeth next to my two front top teeth are pushed back- they are not connected to the wire. Same on the bottom- the two teeth next to the canines are pushed back and they are not connected to the wire. The ortho assistant said it is not going to do anything because there is no room but that was before the extractions. The wire is hooked behind my canines- I don't see how it could improve anything because it is not connected to any of my crooked teeth that need to be moved. But hey- I am no ortho! I don't expect any improvement until after my first adjustment- if i see some before them great! Does anybody know about rinsing(with salt water, listerine, crest mouth rinse, ect) after extractions? Is it bad or good? What is the deal with the no straw rule? Why is that?

Flora2006

#6 Post by Flora2006 »

sonyablade wrote: Does anybody know about rinsing(with salt water, listerine, crest mouth rinse, ect) after extractions? Is it bad or good? What is the deal with the no straw rule? Why is that?
You should not be rinsing your mouth for about 8 hours after the extraction. Mouthwashes are advisable especially after meals one day after extractions IF you have stopped bleeding.

The straw can dislodge the sockets (or whateve its called) that are present at the extraction site for healing...

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006