food particle size: how large could I swallow problem-free?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cactus

food particle size: how large could I swallow problem-free?

#1 Post by cactus »

I'm newly braced, full metal mouth with a bite plane - therefore, my chewing is painfully taking place in the front of my mouth for many of the items I'm eating. My side teeth don't meet because of the bite plane. Once I get the pieces down to a smooshable size for the roof of my mouth to handle, I may be swallowing pieces that are larger than what I swallowed pre-braces. Where I notice this primarily so far is with bits of apple I've cut up - and I'm not sure I'm getting the apple skin bits chomped up small enough. But once I start eating more regular foods, this may also be a problem with those foods as well.

Should I be concerned, or will my gut take care of the rest of the disintegration for me? Just how small a piece must I get these suckers chewed into?

susieq182

#2 Post by susieq182 »

I know what you are going through. Been there still doing that. It does get better as you go. You will be so amazed at how fast your teeth come togetherI have had mine in for almost 4 months. I am still not used to it and crunchy food is pretty much out, but I can eat salad and soft meats again. I lost 17 lbs. in the first 8 weeks of treatment because i lived on shakes and yogurt. I found the easy way to gauge if I could eat something was be smashing it with my fork if it didnt smush through i wasnt going to be able to chew it. if you have any Questions feel free to IM me
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

susieq182

#3 Post by susieq182 »

I know what you are going through. Been there still doing that. It does get better as you go. You will be so amazed at how fast your teeth come togetherI have had mine in for almost 4 months. I am still not used to it and crunchy food is pretty much out, but I can eat salad and soft meats again. I lost 17 lbs. in the first 8 weeks of treatment because i lived on shakes and yogurt. I found the easy way to gauge if I could eat something was be smashing it with my fork if it didnt smush through i wasnt going to be able to chew it. if you have any Questions feel free to IM me
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07