how long do u wear wax

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sweetgurl

how long do u wear wax

#1 Post by sweetgurl »

how long do u wear wax? it has been 1 1/2 weeks and it still hurt inside of my mouth with the banding. how long do i have to wear wax. does it take the whole two years or one month. i think i have a thick cheek. could that be the reason. thank you any reply is grateful.

Missingorigin

#2 Post by Missingorigin »

My brackets have never bothered me. I have not used wax.

brandee987

#3 Post by brandee987 »

When my uppers went on I needed wax for 2.5 weeks... When my lowers went on I never needed any.... I have thought that every once in awhile a tooth felt like it was touching a new part of my mouth and I needed to wax but I usually dont and it gets better on its own... Good LucK!
Ceramic Upper braces: November 29, 2005
Metal Lowers go on: March 7th, 2006

candygrrrl

#4 Post by candygrrrl »

I wore wax on my bottoms for about a week, gradually weaning myself off. I think the mouth toughens up pretty quickly and the salt water rinses really help. But when I got my expander a couple weeks ago, the nubs on the two bicuspid brackets stick way out and I have to wear wax on those 24/7, even when I'm eating. The poking and scraping is horrible. So I think a lot depends on the position in your mouth, the spot the braces hit, etc. I've also notice that some spots will toughen up only to flare up again. Don't be ashamed to use the stuff. It really helps.

Geri

#5 Post by Geri »

Wax was my little buddy for the first week after getting up upper braces, that and lots of warm salt water rinses. Fast forward six months, and I used wax last week for a couple of nights on a lower bracket that was getting too close to my lip (ie welded to it at night). I gave my insider lip a rest for that couple of nights with the wax and its all back to normal now - well almost....no need for wax at least.

Hope you get wax free soon Sweetgurl.

G
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

materialsgirl

#6 Post by materialsgirl »

Like others who posted here, I seemed to need wax for the first week or so, then my need for it lessened. I haven't used any wax at all for the past couple weeks. I did a lot of warm salt water rinses, which helped tremendously. Like others have said - you use the wax when you need it, however long that may be. It really does get better - hang in there! :)

rockexrolloh

#7 Post by rockexrolloh »

KK wrote:To be honest sweetgurl, you use wax for as long as you need it.

Also rinse at least once a day with warm salt water as it will help toughen the inside of your mouth making it less likely for you to get a sore. If the inside of your mouth is already sore, then rinse as many times as you can in a day ... the more often the quicker it will heal.

Most people find that using the salt water and wax means that things settle within a week or three ... but every now and then after a tooth has moved, you'll need to apply wax again as the bracket finds another piece of skin to annoy.

The important thing is to treat a rubbing bracket as soon as it rubs ... the faster it's treated the sooner the skin will heal!

Good luck with getting through this phase! :banana:
Do you think it could be helpful to do salt water rinses before I get my braces?