Orthos office - Mostly kids? Adults?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

paw655

Orthos office - Mostly kids? Adults?

#1 Post by paw655 »

I'm interested in hearing about orthos' offices - specifically, does anyone go to an ortho where there are separate waiting areas for adults (or at least quiet areas) or separate treatment areas for adults?

The ortho I will probably use for treatment has pictures up all over the walls (including treatment room), as do most orthos, of former patients with beautiful smiles. I doubt any of the patients were over 14, and from what I saw, none were persons of color. I kind of felt uncomfortable, as literally all the decorations were aimed at children, and I felt like I didn't belong. I understand the majority of his practice is children (they say 20%, but I don't know), but I guess I hoped for some kind of acknowledgement that adults went there too (if they do??).

How does your ortho make their practice adult-friendly?

Any advice on the best way to work with the ortho assistants who are at least half my age but seem to forget that just because I am a patient in the chair?

Thanks for your help.

nvcarissa

#2 Post by nvcarissa »

My ortho, though he does treat a lot of kids and teenagers, also treats a large number of adults. His waiting area is adult looking, but has magazines and such for all ages.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

missing_tooth

#3 Post by missing_tooth »

he ortho I will probably use for treatment has pictures up all over the walls (including treatment room), as do most orthos, of former patients with beautiful smiles. I doubt any of the patients were over 14
It's probably to make the bulk of his customers feel comfortable. My ortho's office is done in looney toones stuff, and the staff has shirts that say, acme denistry. I mean really how cool is that.

In short I wouldn't worry about the decore and waiting area. I see the waiting area for 10 minutes every 6-7 weeks, and everyone there acts like adults. In any event, find an ortho your comfortable with, and enjoy your braces.

- Missing Tooth -

NotBob1

#4 Post by NotBob1 »

My Ortodontist's office is mostly an adult theme. She treats mostly adults, though I believe she does treat former patient's kids....I think she said that 80-90% of the clientele are adult. I liked this. This is why I chose her.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

DizzyKitty

#5 Post by DizzyKitty »

I have seen a couple other braced adults in my ortho's office but it's mainly teens and the adults sitting there are their parents. The office is just normal "Doctor's office decor" and there is reading material for all ages but mostly "adult" magazines (like Time or Contemporary Living, not the other "adult" LOL ) . There is a TV and last time I was in, they were playing one of the Batman films, which my husband was happy about.

The assistants do most of the work and I think they like me b/c they can talk about their kids and stuff to me. I notice they don't talk much to the teens but they talk up a storm w/ me.
- Dizzy

Kell

#6 Post by Kell »

My orthos office is very generic and not geared towards kids at all. There is a beautiful fish tank in the lobby. They pride themselves on not making anyone wait at all so I barely see the lobby anyway.

The times I've been in there were mainly teenagers there but there was at least one other adult every time. I know he has a lot of adult patients because the shelves are filled with box after box of patients Invisalign trays. Every room has shelves filled with Invisalign boxes. He is one of the top providers of Invisalign. I still didn't want them though and he didn't recommend them for me anyway :) The pictures on the walls all seem to be teenager though. I'm not sure why.

I don't know what to tell you about the assistants. I've had the same assistant every time. We talk about our kids so maybe that helps her to remember I am an adult.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

mackenzie

#7 Post by mackenzie »

You know the TV cartoon Rugrats? That's ALL over my ortho's walls. Huge murals of Tommy and the rest of them smiling with big obnoxous braces. It's weird because they're 2 years old but I deal with it. :wink:

Dark_angel

#8 Post by Dark_angel »

I go to a dental hospital for my treatment and the waiting area is combined for child dental health and the orthodontic department. There are fish and other sea creatures on the walls and there used to be a huge connect 4 set and some other toys but they've dissapeared after it got a little make over. Ive been going to the ortho department for about 8 years now and they have the same fish tank although im hoping that they havent had the same fish.

They treat mainly children and believe in early detection and hence the reason i had twin blocks all those years ago. However yesterday i saw two other adults, one was about 40 the other early 20's it did suprise me a little. Id never seen an adult in the chair.

hollywood_smile

#9 Post by hollywood_smile »

my ortho is near a mall, so if i get there early then i have time to shop or at least window shop lol, or if its a painfull appointment then, what better way to forget about it and feel better than shopping! lol!!!

its a pretty place with a small garden and two tables in the garden for waitance, inside theres a huge fish tank with reall fish! (some time ago they had those fake fishmade of plastic) there a re tonz of magazines and also some books for kidslike WALLY! I love those lol!, some very comfortable couches, and a tv, if you ask for the remote or you are the only one they give it to you so you watch whatever you want lol, most of the tmes i ve seen kids but most of them goes with their parents so i dont feel that bad....and most of the times i go with my mom! lol! i hate going by myself! :lol:

i dont remember the color of the walls but i remember those tinny spots for light, kind indirect light lol!, a comfy place to wait.
I sooo Want a hollywood smilee....!!!!
http://hollywoodsmile.blogspot.com/

jcdamon3

#10 Post by jcdamon3 »

My ortho does not have a separate waiting area. I choose to make this a non-issue for me. I would rather my ortho cater to the kids, since it doesn't matter to me what is on the walls, etc. All that I care about is that I get good treatment and that I am treated well as an individual.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Marzipan

#11 Post by Marzipan »

My place is inside the college of dentistry for a large university. So the ortho department waiting area is mixed in with the pediatric dentistry area. I know my ortho deals with children as well as adults because the techs sometimes talk about the kids, but mostly I see other adults and occasionally an older teen (like at least high school age).

Actually the setup is rather interesting and at first it was a bit odd but now I'm very comfortable with it. There is a big room (with ordinary doctor-office artwork on the walls) with four dental chairs. All the people getting treated get one of the chairs. There are enough techs to go around, and the orthodontist is there the whole time, moving from one patient to the next. She always has a "Hello" for everyone who walks in, and it's very friendly and open. She does take people to her private office for consults, but for the treatment, we are all in there together.

This way she spends time every session with every patient, and she places all the brackets and sometimes puts on the other appliances or instructs the techs.

She's a professor in the dental college but the people in this room are private patients. There is a gigantic room with dozens of chairs where students work on patients (at discounted rates). Lots of people in town use the students and I've heard they are very careful and thoughtful and do good work. Still, for braces, I wanted professionals only.

Way Too Old For This

#12 Post by Way Too Old For This »

My ortho treats 20% adults. His office is decorated pretty generic, but they decorate lavishly for all holidays which I think is kind of fun. They are a fun group. One ortho is retirement age, the other about 40 somthing, the other more like 30. You can almost tell which ortho is there that day by the music that is playing.

Waiting room has all types of magazines, but I'm never in there very long. I try to get my appointments in the morning. It seems more adults go in the morning to avoid the after school rush. So I usually see plenty of adults getting treated.

The assistants are very respectful of all the patients no matter their age. I've never had a problem with any of them.

On my first visit it was kind of funny though. My very young for her age looking daughter came along because we were doing something together after. We were in the waiting room and when they called my name and I got up you could tell everyone else that was waiting did a double take because they had expected my daughter to be the one to go in. Since that was my first visit I was very self conscience about being so old but I'm so over it now. The only people who look at me funny are the kids. I get the feeling they think I'm crazy for doing this when "no one is making me".
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

CLAmom

#13 Post by CLAmom »

The office that I go to has generic decor. He says about 30% of his patients are adults. The place where they do the work is one open room with 3 chairs in it. You lay there side by side with your mouth hanging open and anyone waiting beside you can get a good view of your tonsils! I find this uncomfortable but luckily he is adding another room. Hopefully, there will be more privacy then. The 3 times that I have been there I haven't seen another adult getting worked on, just kids. Oh well, a little public humiliation is good for the soul! :oops:

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

Flora2006

#14 Post by Flora2006 »

My ortho's office is in a house so it's very comfy. There is a tv and sofas, with magazines and some toys for kids. The actual treating room is very clean, comfy, spacious, huge windows, plants...just very cozy.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Tiffchelle

#15 Post by Tiffchelle »

My ortho's office seems mostly catered to kids - he's got an arcade game and three small televisions each with playstations. But I really don't mind too much. I asked one of the assistants if they have many adults, and she said that at least 40% of his patients are adults. I really like it so far. Of course, most people tell me I look very young, and I tend to blend in with teenagers (except for my wedding rings - which I have had people ask if I got my mom's permission to get married!). It is a very relaxed and almost "fun" atmosphere - including the ortho himself!