Metal vs. ceramic dilemma

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tiffchelle

Metal vs. ceramic dilemma

#1 Post by Tiffchelle »

Hello, all!
My ortho does not charge any extra to have ceramics put on top, so I am considering doing that. However, I would like to be able to have fun with color. I've seen some pics here with colors on ceramics, and I thought they looked great. However, when I mentioned it to one of the assistants, she made me feel kinda stupid and said "Well, what would be the point of having ceramics then if you wanted color ligatures?" For those who have worn color (or who have thought about it), which colors did you like best? I was thinking of doing a soft pink or purple. Also, did you feel as if your not-so-white teeth stood out more from the ceramic brackets with color ligatures?

Thanks for your help!

samantha_lou

#2 Post by samantha_lou »

Tiff,

Go for it! I'm totally planning on having ceramic brackets with hot pink ligs and powerchains (I've seen that combination on one of the patients at our office and it looks great!)

Pay no attention to the grumpy assistant, have your ceramics and have fun with your colors!! :D

Dark_angel

#3 Post by Dark_angel »

I have metal brackets but i love getting colours especially purple, ive had purple and black, silver, hot pink and im now wearing a clear powerchain and purple ligs. If you want to go for colour as well as ceramics go for it, who cares what a tech thinks. If the ceramics are free go for them, they may help soften the impact of braces and if you have a special event and you want them to be less visible you can get clear ligs and a white archwire.

Kittysopretty

#4 Post by Kittysopretty »

That assistant is silly!! I, for one (though I don't do colors) think that the colored ligs on clear braces are soooo cool because the focus is on the color. It's pretty PLUS you have the option of going clear if you choose (let's say you know you will be photographed and want clear or whatever)

That said, I will say that if I was a colored lig type person I would have gone with metal since they are smaller, faster and stronger.

Well....maybe not....clear brackets with colored ligs looks so friggin neat!!

ssfw

#5 Post by ssfw »

Hi Tiffchelle,

If you want colored ligs with clear brackets, go for it. What the ortho assistant said to you was her opinion. Don't think there are any rules regarding ligs and clear brackets. I think colored ligs look great, especially the neon colors. Choose the color(s) you feel like having when you're at the appt. Change the colors at each of your appts. - will be more fun that way. Some choose them according to the upcoming holiday, some people alternate the colors, some people have one color on one arch and another color on the other arch, etc. If you want colored ligs, get them - you will enjoy wearing your braces alot more. In fact, I just recently saw someone with alternating pale green and shamrock green ligs for St. Patrick's Day - they looked great. You may even begin a trend in your ortho office.

Don't forget, the clear and white ligs do stain, and smoke and grey don't show much but do not stain - per the info. read on this website.

Enjoy!

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Tiffchelle

#6 Post by Tiffchelle »

Thanks so much for your replies! I definitely want to have fun with colors. I'm thinking of blue, as I have a ballet recital coming up and my costume is this gorgeous blue color. Or maybe I'll do blue and pink! Hmmm, I've got some thinking to do!

Anyhow, KK, I absolutely love the purple ligs. I also thought the other pics were great as well. I have 11 days to decide, and I am sure that it will take me up until the very last moment to make my final decision. I'm still excited!

rockexrolloh

#7 Post by rockexrolloh »

Who cares what that assistant thinks! There might be times when you don't really want your braces to be noticeable and you can always get clear/silver ligs. And other times you may be feeling a little gutsy and want colors. I think ceramics are great in that sense.
I really like the pink ligs on ceramics. Bright or light pink, they both look great. Sometimes colored ligs on ceramics really make them glow.
I say go for it!