weird, no pain : )

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

akabraces

weird, no pain : )

#1 Post by akabraces »

*greetings*

Its so weird, I haven't had
any real pain yet since getting
spacers and braces...I was
expecting so much pain but
I've been fine so far, no
wax or tylenol necessary...
I keep checking to make
sure I really do have braces
on my teeth!

I hope the assistant
pulled my teeth enough
so that they are moving : )

But I'm certainly not
complaining about no
pain! Hope this pain-less
streak continues!

ta ta,

*aka

Anticipator

#2 Post by Anticipator »

I haven't had anything I'd qualify as "pain." I've had stuff I'd qualify as unpleasant, like poking wires or tooth sensitivity and tenderness, but so far I certainly haven't had anything that I would consider painful.

I've done many painful things throughout my existence (like most people I'm sure) and orthodontics is definitely nowhere near the top of the list.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

Tiffchelle

#3 Post by Tiffchelle »

Wow! You are definitely lucky! I only have spacers and they are hurting something awful. This morning, I woke up thinking "WHAT AM I DOING?? CAN I REALLY GO THROUGH WITH THIS??" Then I took some aleve and got over it. They are still sore, and rubbing on the gums with my finger really comforts me.

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

Same here, I experience soreness/sensitivity in random teeth all the time, but its nothing big. The only painful thing is when my wire pokes and starts cutting my cheek...

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

akabraces

the weird thing is...

#5 Post by akabraces »

I'm sorry to hear about your spacers!

I thought my spacers would kill because my teeth are so close together that my ortho couldn't believe it...and you know he's seen alot! Even when they put my bands (?) around my molars, it took forrrrrrever...they had to keep shoving them up there over and over again, that part hurt but afterwards,
they weren't even really that sore!

Granted, I do have a high threshold for pain, but I'm thrilled to have this experience be off to a good start, b/c I was so anxious about having pain and tenderness...I'm sure I'll be in for a real treat though when I have my first adjustment...oy...

Back to the grind (pun intended),

*aka

Tiffchelle

#6 Post by Tiffchelle »

I know what you mean about the tight teeth. The tech putting in the spacers tried first with the plier thingy's and couldn't get them in, and had to floss them in. She ended up breaking one of them and breaking the floss as she tried to get it out from between my teeth. My gums were all cut up from her trying to use the pliers first.

I'm a little nervous about the metal bands myself. Hopefully, like yours, they won't be that sore afterwards.

Brace-day is April 4th, I sure hope the pain settles down - it feels like it is radiating to all my teeth, and they just feel all banged up! I have to go in on Friday to have the spacers that *ahem* fell out put back in.

Anticipator

#7 Post by Anticipator »

Flora2006 wrote:Same here, I experience soreness/sensitivity in random teeth all the time, but its nothing big. The only painful thing is when my wire pokes and starts cutting my cheek...
Yeah, that's not fun. I just had to make my first emergency appointment on Thursday to have them trimmed. I think that some of the pain was decreased though by the idea that my teeth had made that much movement in only a day or two though.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months