expander, hurt??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

poloaa

expander, hurt??

#1 Post by poloaa »

My ortho said i may need to wear the expander, and it is not the one in the mid, but around the mouth cus my upper arch is too "narrow", and i have to wear that for 6 longggggggg months, i would like to know how painful it is, how long i have to suffer for the pain???
Thanks. My extraction appt is apr.18, then will have spacers and braces done.

po

shinyam

#2 Post by shinyam »

Only six months? I had to wear mine for three times that period. :(

LUV2SING

EXPANDER ?

#3 Post by LUV2SING »

I have to wear my quad helix expander for 6 months also. I was not prepared for how hard it was to talk at first. I got my braces and expander put on 03-02-06. My tongue was dying! Please follow the advice of everyone here and do the saltwater rinse. I think I could have saved some pain with that. I also recommend sucrets or the cloraseptic spray to numb your tongue. It was a lifesaver! Forewarning, the wax does not like to stay on the expander. Try to take it easy with talking. Everytime you speak your tongue is going to rub on that expander. I found that when I spoke a lot my tongue got extra sore. By the 3rd day, I just wanted to crawl in a hole. That's where the sucrets came in. AAAHHH Relief!! Anyway, I'm not trying to scare you. I just want you to take good care of yourself and give it time. I woke up one day about a week and a half later with no pain. I promise, it will get better! I'm back to eating normal and talking (mostly normal.) Some words are still a problem for me, but I don't sound like I did. Hang in there..

Chris87

#4 Post by Chris87 »

Just dont eat spaghetti, it has a habit of wrapping around the expander at one end and the other end just dangles down your throat choking you until you can get your hand in there and rip it off, same goes for bacon rind.

Hope this cheered you up :wink:

btw by the time mine comes off it will have been on for 2 years :(

poloaa

#5 Post by poloaa »

Thanks for your replies, i don't know what is the differences of the one in the MIddle of the mouth and the one is around the mouth??
thanks again.

Po

pinkdiamond

#6 Post by pinkdiamond »

poloaa,
My best advice for you is get some MACKS EARPLUGs it sounds weird but it was the only thing that would stick to my expander . It saved me . good luck
Pinkdiamond[/b]