Should I settle for a midline that's off?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

flowertowngal

Should I settle for a midline that's off?

#1 Post by flowertowngal »

My ortho has said for the last two visits that I'm close to being done. At my last visit I told him we may be moving in a couple of months. So he really did alot at that adjustment - he said be sure to take some painkillers when I left! - and he scheduled an appointment just two weeks later. My feeling is that he's trying to get me done before I move.

The thing is, though, there are some things still bothering me - my midline is way off - almost half a tooth - but I honestly have no idea if it was off at the start of my treatment or not - that was before I even knew what a midline was! Anyway, my appointment is tomorrow and I'm going back and forth about saying anything - well, I guess I will say something but what if he says it can't be fixed before I leave? I guess I'd rather just continue treatment with someone else when we move but gosh - I can't imagine what it will cost - I'm a year and a half into treatment - I can't imagine I would get much money back from this ortho.

Never thought I would be so conflicted about being this close to the end of my treatment! Any thoughts?

smilezofmetal2

#2 Post by smilezofmetal2 »

I think you should say something so that you know what you're options are...if it can be fixed then fix it...you should be happy with your smile...but then again some people dont mind having their midline off...but I'm sure you dont want to have any regrets so bring it to your ortho's attention cuz he seems like a nice person.

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

Definitely ask! Hopefully he can fix it by the time you move.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

SamanthaClavier

#4 Post by SamanthaClavier »

you will prob get nothing from your ortho,i wouldnt settle with it being half a tooth off though :(

rsprouse

#5 Post by rsprouse »

Hi,

There is nothing functionally wrong with having a midline that is off. In fact most people have a different dental and facial midline. That being said, it is all a personal preference and you are spending good time and money to have this fixed. It may be an inconvenience for you to have a little longer treatment to get it corrected, but if it is important to you then do it. Nobody can decide but you. So, if it doesn't bother you to have it off slightly (99.9% of people would never notice anyway) then leave it. But if it is important to you then do it. As an FYI, that is one of the hurdles that I will have to overcome in my treatment and I would like to have it match up. YMMV.

Good Luck,
Rory