sandwich

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DichCa

sandwich

#1 Post by DichCa »

Hey guys! I got my braces about a week ago, and yesterday I decided to bring a sandwich for lunch, something real for a change. Boy, was it a struggle. I do not understand how people can go for 2 or more years of this nightmare. I was so happy that my teeth do not hurt anymore, and was all ready to enjoy my lovely sandwich. Two bites later, i could feel the gunk everywhere around my braces. Half of it was bread, so not too hard to remove with tongue and water, but then pieces of deli slices would get fundamentally stuck. I was sitting there, picking at it with my tongue for like 10 minutes with no success, so I decided to go to the washroom. The little piece managed to wrap itself around the wire, and it took some time to yank it off there.
My question is: How do you people eat normal food in public?? I understand that yes some pieces get stuck, but not too many people seem to have that much trouble with it. Do you have some sort of technique of chewing worked out? Please help. My lunch today consisted of porridge and some veggies...I was hungry and not a happy camper. Any suggestions?
-Noone can make you feel inferior without your consent-

Brandyleigh35

#2 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Cut everything into small pieces and chew it with your rear molars. That is what I do with everything. It is so much easier to eat stuff like pizza, sandwiches, etc that way. Then you mostly only have to clean out your rear brackets which usually come out pretty easy with a bit of water and swishing. Always have toothpics or dental pics with you to get the rest out. That is the best way I have found.

Brandy

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

lol aren't braces just a joy ;)

I actually haven't eaten in public since I got the braces...I'm too scared of having food stuck everywhere. Considering I will have braces for another 22 months...we'll see how long I last until I can't take it anymore and will have to eat in public.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Missingorigin

#4 Post by Missingorigin »

It does take time getting used to, Today it is gonna be two weeks since I got mine on. I ate 3 hours after i got my braces on. cutting the pieces into smaller ones makes it worst. it makes it easier to get stuck on your braces. when I bite, i chew with my back molars trying not to toss food around my mouth and swallow as fast as I can, I eat in public everyday. well for lunch i go to restaurants. just to smile alot after you finish eating. then go to the restroom and rinse or somthing.

DichCa

#5 Post by DichCa »

thanks for advice! So basically, everyone just pretends that it's all fine and dandy in those braces, huh. :) I carry those tiny little brushes with me at all times...my one and only savior! I guess it's just a matter of getting used to the new lifestyle of the braced! exciting times ahead...i can feel it! :wink:
-Noone can make you feel inferior without your consent-

kirst1583

#6 Post by kirst1583 »

Best advice I can give is just to not actually bite into anything (if possible) but to break bits off and pop them in your mouth. That way when you chew, any food that gets stuck will only be at the back where it's not visible. It still feels yuck, but at least you're the only one who knows it's there!

Idislikebraces

#7 Post by Idislikebraces »

Hmm...I can eat perfectly fine in public...no problems...I even went to Fuddruckers where u make ur own burger nd put more than enough stuff on it...it was totally overflowing! And I came out of there with nothing in my braces! :o I guess u just have to learn how to eat...lol :lol:
August 10, 2005
Ceramic Uppers and Metal Bottoms!
A few months later a Nance Appliance.
anddd nowwww:
De bonding on October 23, 2007!

ingyandbert

#8 Post by ingyandbert »

You'll get better at it. I have no problems eating in public and I eat just about everything, including big sandwiches. With practice, you get better at loosening the stuff from your braces as you go. I don't consider anything off limits as far as teeth cleaning goes except for maybe pesto.

Lyn

#9 Post by Lyn »

:lol:
You'll get better at it. I have no problems eating in public and I eat just about everything, including big sandwiches. With practice, you get better at loosening the stuff from your braces as you go.
I agree...........it gets easier as you go. My worst thing is lettuce....very hard to get out with just swishing w/water. Eventually you'll be able to bite into stuff, it just takes time getting used to it. And I just warn people [when we eat out w/friends] not to look at my grill while I'm eating. When I'm done, I excuse myself and go "pick" in the restroom!!
:pinkbraces:
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7