flossing

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DichCa

flossing

#1 Post by DichCa »

Hello everybody! I just had my braces put on and i'm wondering how to floss exactly. They gave me these plastic sort of hoop-like things. It's a little stick with a hoop at the end, and I'm not too sure as to how to use it exactly. I hope you know what I'm talking about :?
-Noone can make you feel inferior without your consent-

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

I just use regular floss...my ortho gave me some with that straight end but I just never used it. It just takes practice, you will get the hang of it :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

materialsgirl

#3 Post by materialsgirl »

I'm surprised someone at your ortho's office didn't show you how to floss. Those plastic hoop things are called "threaders", and you take your regular floss, and thread it through the "eye" of the threader, then stick the threader under your archwire in order to get the floss between all of your teeth. It takes a bit more time to floss with braces, but once you get the hang of it, it's not a big deal at all. I use the stiff-ended floss (you can get it at the drug store), which eliminates the need for the plastic threader. Or, if you're really savvy, you can just use regular floss with no threader. I can't do this, as some of my brackets are just too close together to get regular floss between. Just practice and it will become easy as pie. The first time I tried to floss, it took me 10 or 15 minutes! But now I've got it down to 2 or 3 minutes. :)

DichCa

#4 Post by DichCa »

thanks guys! will have my first attempt tomorrow! should be fun :lol:
-Noone can make you feel inferior without your consent-

stclair5211

#5 Post by stclair5211 »

KK got it right! Super floss!!! :D I love it! When I first got braces they gave me some of those little plastic threaders, they worked ok until I found super floss! The problem with the plastic ones is the floss would always come off it :evil: . I guess your suppose to tie the floss on, but they only gave me ten or so! :cry: I like to think I was recycling them, helping to reduce pollution... :wink:

Granola

#6 Post by Granola »

I use Glide Threader floss, and it is the greatest. At first I was doing just what KK described, threading it down from above and up from below. That worked great!

I then discovered that I could save a few moments by threading it straight back between the teeth at the gumline, then flossing as normal. When I thread it through at the gumline to the back, I catch it with my tongue and push it down so I can grab it with my fingers. It is faster for me this way and I too am down to flossing in under five minutes.

I really like the particular brand I'm using because it doesn't shred in the least (for me).
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

rockexrolloh

#7 Post by rockexrolloh »

http://www.rosenthallortho.com/oral/default.asp

Go to flossing. That is my orthodontist's website and it seems to be very helpful.

Lyn

#8 Post by Lyn »

rockexrolloh
Your ortho has an awesome website. The demo. of flossing and brushing is perfect for newbies!!
Hope y'all opened this link, its a good one!

Good Luck!
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

Flora2006

#9 Post by Flora2006 »

Lyn wrote:rockexrolloh
Your ortho has an awesome website. The demo. of flossing and brushing is perfect for newbies!!
Hope y'all opened this link, its a good one!

Good Luck!

I agree, the website is awesome. I love the intro music :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Slawdawg

#10 Post by Slawdawg »

I may be really screwing up, but I HATE flossing. I have rarely flossed anthing in my life and my teeth are strong. I knew with braces and things it would be different, so I tried it a few times. Too much time and more annoying than flossing without braces. I shared my concerns with my ortho and she advised the waterpick. For me, it's a lot easier than playing "thread the needle" and according to her, just as effective. It takes about five minutes to make it all the way around the inside and outside, but boy, it is so much easier! I am not a dentist, I don't even play one on TV. Just thought I'd share what my ortho told me and what I'm choosing for now. I'm sure someone will correct me, but the convenience of the pounding water is much easier for me and I figure it's better to do something than completely forget the flossing thing, which is probably what I would do.
Braces: Feb 1, 2006
SARPE: April 5, 2006

pinkdiamond

#11 Post by pinkdiamond »

HI Slawdawg,
All I have to say is SUPERFLOSS by Oral B It makes life so much easier . I Love it
Pinkdiamond

pinkdiamond

#12 Post by pinkdiamond »

HI Slawdawg,
All I have to say is SUPERFLOSS by Oral B It makes life so much easier . I Love it
Pinkdiamond

jas_2008

#13 Post by jas_2008 »

thanks for the website! that's really cool... but I've been wondering how you guys floss the backteeth? is it even possible with the metal bands around them? I can manage to handle the front teeth (6 of them), but can't seem to be able to get to the molars with the threader!

lionfish

#14 Post by lionfish »

jas_2008 wrote:thanks for the website! that's really cool... but I've been wondering how you guys floss the backteeth? is it even possible with the metal bands around them? I can manage to handle the front teeth (6 of them), but can't seem to be able to get to the molars with the threader!
Just stick your hand in there, pull your lip back if necessary so that you can see to guide the floss in the right direction. You will get it, promise!

colleen

#15 Post by colleen »

When I went to my first cleaning after braces (about 6 months in), he dental assistant was like, "Wow, your teeth look great! Have you been flossing?" I told her (wearily) that I had indeed and she laughed and told me to get a Waterpik. I've had it for a year and a half now and I'll never floss again!