i'm new and need cheering up =( ps jus got expander

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kibracesitall

i'm new and need cheering up =( ps jus got expander

#1 Post by kibracesitall »

Hi everyone...i'm new...and i need some encouragement.
I got braced 2-6-06...jus uppers till next appt (in a month)...and got my quad helix placed yesterday afternoon...along with a normal adjustment.
and now today, i am in so much discomfort and so freakin hungry!!! :x
yesterday i couldn't eat because how do u eat around the aparatus..which i may add looks a little different from what i've seen on here, mines is squarish and rest in the front of my mouth...behind my front teeth...
to make matters worse i can't eat the normal foods that people would eat as i am VERY lactose intolerant...which forces me to eat almost vegan...and i don't handle soy very well...so i guess i'm just all jacked up :?
the upside is i have a wonderful hubby, and two cute lil boogers (girl 3, boy 1.5) that i stay home with...and when my dh comes home he doesn't mind taken over and lettin me mope in bed while he takes care of me...and keep the kids out of my hair...
so i come humbly to u all for encouragement and advice...and to remind me why i am doing this, cause i look at my mouth and cant see that it could ever look nice like i see on other people...
btw...i have affectionately named my expander "banjo" since i can play it like one...thats an upside...i can tell everyone for the next 6 months i play a banjo... :D :D :D
sorry i rambled...nice to be here with all of u

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

Welcome to the board!!

Don't worry, things will get better real soon. It won't be like that for long. Once you get used to all this stuff in your mouth, you'll be back to your normal self :)

:banana:

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

Hi kibracesitall,

I understand that you feel sorry for yourself with that awful thing on the roof of your mouth. I thank my lucky stars that I don't have one.

Take comfort from your loved ones (how lucky you are to have a supportive OH and two great kids) and I'm sure you'll feel better soon.

kibracesitall

#4 Post by kibracesitall »

:heart: thanks all ready feeling better...i just spoke with my dh we have lunch dates (over the phone) and he commented that i didnt sound my normal self...i think the pain is okay...its just the hunger that gets me down...especially with my dietary constraints...i think i will open another thread with best soft foods to eat...i tried to conduct a search but couldn't find it all in one place...
thanks again for the well wishes...it goes a long way
btw, any expander advice/experience greatly helps...

ssfw

#5 Post by ssfw »

Hi kibracesitall,

I have had my Quad Helix expander for about 2 months. I will be getting my braces in about 3 months. The first couple weeks, I did have a slight problem with speech. I think it helped when I talked slower. I never had any pain from the expander, the spacers (just a bit of irritation while chewing, but no pain) or bands. The only problem I had with my expander was my tongue got very sore from the constant rubbing from the expander during the first couple weeks. I tried not to use wax because I was thinking my tongue would adjust to the expander. I found that was a bad choice. Use wax if you need it. I found the back part with the mini coils was the area that irritated my tongue. Rinse with warm salt water rinses at least twice/day, more if your mouth/tongue is irritated. The warm salt water rinses helps alot - KK's orthodontist recommended rinsing with warm saltwater rinses throughout ortho treatment. If your tongue is very sore, swab some hydrogen peroxide on the affected area in addition to using the saltwater rinses.

After about a month, I sometimes forget I have the expander but remember when I'm eating, but that's no big deal.

By the way, I had my first adjustment to my expander about 3 weeks ago, felt a bit of pressure when he was making the adjustment, but that pressure lasted for 10 seconds. Again, no pain.

I eat almost all of the same foods I ate prior to getting the expander, the only thing I won't eat is popcorn, jellybeans, toffee, hard items as big pieces of carrots and anything sticky or gooey that I may not be able to completely remove while brushing my teeth or have a chance of breaking the expander. Otherwise, there is still plenty of food to choose from.

I hope this info. was of some help to you.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

ren

#6 Post by ren »

hi kibracesitall,

It will get easier-it'll take some time....I've had my rpe (different kind of expander) in for 18 months & counting. Eating is difficult & frustrating at first...water pic helps after you eat and while you're eating just drink lots of water to wash the bits of food stuck up there-try using a straw. You'll eventually get used to it and you'll be able to get the food out easily.

The best part of the expander is when they "seal" it off-which means no more turning of the key-it seals off that area so it's smooth and nothing gets caught up there now. I never wanted to go the palate expander route-but let me tell you the progress is sooo worth it. I had MAJOR crowding, crossbite, etc and the expander made plenty of room to bring my incisors (that were behind my front teeth!) forward and bring my canines down and over a bit. I also had the surgery to make the expander work correctly and the progress is amazing! Esp. lately I cannot believe that my teeth are SO straight and they've all come forward!! I never thought that I would have straight, normal teeth like everyone else and now I do! It's a great feeling to not have to cover my mouth in embarrasement anymore :)

I nicknamed my expander X :lol:

Hang in there-you can do it!!
Ren