Does Everybody Have To Get Elastics...?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Samantha08

Does Everybody Have To Get Elastics...?

#1 Post by Samantha08 »

I was just curious if its a part of EVERYONE's orthodontic plan, or if it just depends on how your teeth are? I figure its just depends on your teeth but I wanted to ask. :)
Estimated Time: 15-18 months

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

I think it depends on everyone's teeth but to be honest, I have never met anyone who did not have elastics lol.

I really don't want to get elastics. Having elastics in the back might not be too bad...but if my ortho would ever tell me that I need to wear them on my front teeth...I would refuse. That would just over-exceed the limit of my mental strength as far as braces go!

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

flowertowngal

That's funny...

#3 Post by flowertowngal »

That's pretty funny that you say you would refuse - that is what EVERYONE is telling me - they take one look at my crisscross elastic configuration, with a big "X" right over the front, and say "Uh, no...you should just put your foot down and tell him you won't do it."

I've considered it but gosh - I've put in 16 months now with these braces-seems like I should be able to handle the home stretch, you know?

It's partly "good girl" syndrome I guess - I don't want to go back to the ortho in six weeks and have him know I cheated and didn't wear them!

But oh Lord, do I hate them!

Samantha08

#4 Post by Samantha08 »

Flowertowngal I dont know HOW you do it. Are you even able to speak? I think I would absolutely die if I had to do what you are going through, but I agree with you. I think I would just do it anyway, and be a mute for the next 6 weeks lol!

Flora2006

#5 Post by Flora2006 »

lol, well my ortho has been winning on all arguments thus far so who knows.

BUT I would HATE him if he told me to wear them in the front. I don't think I will because my teeth aren't that bad...I don't have an overbite/underbite, etc.. or anything like that.

I have my next adjustment next week, I will ask for sure!

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Samantha08

#6 Post by Samantha08 »

Flora thats a good idea! I will ask my ortho as well because I might as well find out now so I can brace myself lol! No pun intended!

R-A-M-O-N-E-S

#7 Post by R-A-M-O-N-E-S »

I'm home early today because my mouth hurts after a tighting and i also got an elastic across the front of my teeth it sucks
man i dont want to wear it .
Braced Sept-27-05

lionfish

#8 Post by lionfish »

Elastics are in my future. I'm a bit concerned about the visibility factor, but will have to deal with it like everything else I guess.

hannah164

#9 Post by hannah164 »

I know it depends on the case but most people I know have had elastics or will at some point!

I know elastics are in my future, I'm thinking my next adjustment! :shock: At my last adjustment, my ortho almost gave me elastics but changed his mind! :? Lately, it seems everyone has gotten elastics! Like all of my friends and lots of people on this board! :roll: I'm almost jealous, hoping we'll start fixing my horrible bite soon, like at my next adjustment! :wink:

~Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Last Adjustment: February 28, 2006 where they gave me a new bottom wire and attached my impacted canine, newly bracketed, to the wire! OUCH!

ssfw

#10 Post by ssfw »

Hi Samantha08,

I don't think everyone has to wear elastics.

I do know I will have to wear elastics in the future to reduce my overjet. I'm sure the elastics correct other types of orthodontic problems too but not sure of whattypes of problems.

Yes, I think you had a great idea that you will be asking your orthodontist of what to expect during your ortho treatment. I tried asking all of my questions during the consultation and even a few more questions by phone after my consultation. I had my list of questions (this really helps - if you have alot of questions, you may have a chance of forgetting some of your questions while talking to your orthodontist). I had my list but thought of a few more questions with the information he shared with me. My questions were geared towards what will be done during the treatment to correct my orthodontic problems, the appliances to be used, other options available, pros/cons, possible use of headgear, I shared my concerns, etc. Just list your questions, no matter how trivial you think it is - if you have a question about it, you might as well get the answer. Because I know what to expect, I think this has helped me to enjoy my orthodontic treatment (yes, I wish I didn't have to wear braces, but since I do, I am very pleased with the process).

The two orthodontists in my office are the greatest - if I have questions, I just ask them during my appointments and they are more than happy to answer my questions. I have fewer questions now - since my preliminary questions are done. My questions now are usually about current treatment, how it is going and what to expect at my next appt., etc.

Hope this helps.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

JumpTheDitch

#11 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Yeah, I think most people end up getting elastics. I know they're in my future, along with powerchains (quite soon I think). They do look kinda scary sometimes, but I guess we've all put up with quite a bit so far in the name of good dental health/appearance ( especially those with RPE, etc) so I guess we'll cope with elastics too.

A friend of mine told me that when her sister laughed hard, hers used to 'ping' off and fly across the room! :shock: :lol: I hope they've made some advancements in elastics since then...

altinure

#12 Post by altinure »

I don't have to get elastics.

R-A-M-O-N-E-S

#13 Post by R-A-M-O-N-E-S »

I was told that my elastics are to help close some of the gaps I have
it just really sucks having to wear them right in the front of my mouth for the world to see :shock:
Braced Sept-27-05

Svensk Tiger

#14 Post by Svensk Tiger »

I don't need to get elastics, I get a special treat instead...

..double jaw surgery! Lovely, I can't wait :wink:
Metal upper and lower: 6th Sep. 2005
Quad helix in: 1st Dec. 2005
Quad Helix out: 31st March 2006
Surgery (upper/lower/genio): 11th Nov. 2006
Braces off: 17th March 2007
Under chin liposculpture and fat transplant to cheeks: 20th October 2007

Anticipator

#15 Post by Anticipator »

I was told during my consultation that elastics would be a part of my treatment. Now that my bite has gone completely wonky (I love you UKers for that word) I'm hoping they'll come soon so I can get back to using more than three and a half teeth to chew with.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months