Phos-Flur and saltwater questions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

Phos-Flur and saltwater questions

#1 Post by genxsis »

I just have 2 quick questions about a couple things:

First, is saltwater supposed to help heal sensitive teeth when they're "on the move", or does it only help to heal irritated cheeks and toungues from the sharp edges of brackets and molar bands?

Second, what do you think of a flouride rinse called Phos Flur? My ortho recommends it, but it is so much more expensive than ACT, which is the flouride rinse I normally use. Is Phos Flur that much better, or am I just as well off continuing to use ACT?
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

Hi!

Rinsing with warm salt water will sooth and make your mouth feel better. Definitely rinse if you are having problems with irritation, cuts, etc...

As for the fluouride, ask your ortho if it's okay for you to keep continuing rinsing with what you were using before. But if he recommends the other one, than maybe its a better one? I can't really answer that one because I use Listerine's fluouride moutwash

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Leslie022

#3 Post by Leslie022 »

Hi <b>genxsis</b>, I use Phos-Flur and I love it. Not only does it help prevent cavities but it also helps prevent the nasty, permanent white spots that sometimes develop on teeth. I don't know how ACT and Phos-Flur compare, however.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

LoobyLou

#4 Post by LoobyLou »

I'm glad I know this - the horrid wire poking out at the back of my brace has gouged the inside of my cheek raw!!

LoobyLou x
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

genxsis

#5 Post by genxsis »

Loobylou:

If I were you, I'd go back to the ortho and have him cut the wire for you. It only takes a second. You'll be glad you did!

And thank you everyone for the replies to my questions. I've been having problems with the cleats on my molar bands tearing up the back of my tongue. The problem comes and goes. It gets real bad, and I use saltwater. A couple days later, it's better. Then a week later, it happens again. I thought it would toughen up and stay toughened up, but that doesn't seem to be the case with me for some reason.
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

trentb

Phos Flur vs. ACT

#6 Post by trentb »

Hi. I had the same question, so did some research. The amount of Flouride in Phos Flur and ACT is nearly identical. The difference is that ACT contains alcohol and Phos Flur does not. I suspect the lack of alcohol is what makes Phos Flur more expensive.

Note: if you compare the ingredients, the amount of Flouride is expressed in different ways. Don't let that confuse you. When converted to the same units, the difference is negligible.

Cheers!!

genxsis

#7 Post by genxsis »

trentb:

That you for the info. abou ACT and Phos Flur! Now it sounds like I'll be going back to ACT and start saving money again!

I kind of wonder why dentists and orthos recommend the expensive stuff even when it is no better than what's more readily available and cheaper!?!? As for the alcohol content: what's so bad about alcohol if you don't even swallow it?

cactus

#8 Post by cactus »

perhaps the concern is with the alcohol irritating the mouth

cactus

#9 Post by cactus »

perhaps the concern is with the alcohol irritating the mouth

genxsis

#10 Post by genxsis »

I haven't had any irritation yet. I've used ACT at night for a long time, and I use Listerine in the morning. Sure, it stings some, but I always thought that meant it was "working".

Dark_angel

#11 Post by Dark_angel »

I believe the problem with alcohol is that it dries the inside of the mouth, meaning less saliva and therefore reduces protection for the teeth. When i use listerine it 'burns' a little too.

genxsis

#12 Post by genxsis »

DarkAngel:

You know what? I just checked the bottle of ACT (actually the Wal Mart store brand equivalent) and it says on the bottle "Alcohol free". So does that mean that it's really the same stuff as Phos Flur for only a small fraction of the price? I paid over $11 for Phos Flur and only $1.97 for the ACT store brand.

MsMargo

#13 Post by MsMargo »

A bit late to the party, but...

ACT, PhosFlur, and most other over-the-counter floride rinses contain the same amount of flouride. Most are now also alchohol-free. The reason that PhosFlur is more expensive is a bit like why store brand asprin is less expensive than Bayer Enteric Coated asprin - it's the formulation + a name brand.

PhosFlur is a name brand marketed specifically for a niche market - us folks with braces. It also is formulated with acidulated phosphate flouride, which Colgate claims get the flouride into the enamal better. (And it theoretically should.)

Does it actually work better? None of the studies I found showed it worked any better, or any worse. The prevailing opinion is to use a flouride rinse, and use it regularly. Using it, or not using it, seems more important than the brand you use.

jas_2008

#14 Post by jas_2008 »

My ortho gave me samples of Phos Flur but also said I could use ACT ... so I think that means they do the same thing!

genxsis

#15 Post by genxsis »

Well, that does it for me! I'll go back to Act! Thank you for that info. It's going to save me alot of money and/or worry! :D