I have a LISP now??!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mogwai

I have a LISP now??!

#1 Post by mogwai »

Hi everyone! I tried to post this before, but I can't find it now - hope this isnt a double post now!

I am having pre-treatment for Invisalign, this involved having 4 extractions, and 'train tracks' on my bottom teeth and elastics on my top for 6 months.

So I just got the top ones done today - I have a molar band, and buttons on the eyeteeth which allow elastics to be stretched onto them to pull them back and rotate them. The problem is the molar band that rests at the back of my front teeth - its given me a LISP! CRIPES!

Will this go away over time? Its so embarrassing! :oops: I think its because the molar band is not flush against my top gums so I can't say my s's properly. My family are asking me for renditions of Sylvesters 'sssufferin sssuccatash'!

Its got a tad better since this morning, but its still there! Will it go away???

NotBob1

#2 Post by NotBob1 »

It will go away, I assure you. At least it will go away to a point of where strangers will not notice, but you and your spouse might.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

dancing8433

#3 Post by dancing8433 »

i have ceramics and metals and i have somewhat of a lisp :( its so embarrsassing but i guess it will kind of fade hopefully as time goes on. i almost feel like cindy brady sometimes..ugh another transition :roll:

nimo

#4 Post by nimo »

The more you talk, the faster it will go away. You just have to figure out how to talk normally with all the new stuff in your mouth. With my spacers and then braces I had to figure out how to say my S's. When I got my extractions, having two premolars taken out gave me new speech problems. Read out loud, listen to how you sound. It'll get better with practice.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

mogwai

#5 Post by mogwai »

yeah, its getting a little better already, it kind of comes and goes so i guess I can 'retrain'

will be back on here to wail and moan if it doesnt! :wink:

krennen

#6 Post by krennen »

The lisping I have noticed seems to come, get better and get worse again. I imagine it is because my teeth have been moving and bite changing. Right now it is in one of those bad times and it is so annoying. This has been quite a journey and I have a looong way to go. I just hope I reach a point where things settle down and stay that way for a while!!