What is your dental chair position ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wearetheborg

What is your dental chair position ?

#1 Post by wearetheborg »

There are studies linking sleeping postions to personalities. I also dimly recall reading something about leg positions.
So, whats your leg position while on the chair ? Mine and almost everybody elses at the office was "legs crossed" -- perhaps indicating aprehension ? :oops:

momof2grlz

#2 Post by momof2grlz »

Gee, I always cross by legs at the ankles thinking it makes me seem cool, calm and collected about the torture that's about to befall me! And all this time it signals apprehension? Who knew.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

JoeMama

#3 Post by JoeMama »

Might seem a little odd to have your legs spread open?

Kidding - I'm definitely a little apprehensive so of course my legs are frimly crossed. Sometimes my arms are too. I'll even go so far as to clench at something in my hand. I know that can't be good! :D
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

Mine are always crossed just because I like it, feels more comfortable.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Way Too Old For This

#5 Post by Way Too Old For This »

momof2grlz wrote:Gee, I always cross by legs at the ankles thinking it makes me seem cool, calm and collected about the torture that's about to befall me! And all this time it signals apprehension? Who knew.

Chris
I'm trying to keep from laughing at my desk and giving away the fact that I'm on this website instead of working !! But that is hilarious!

KK...why would they tap you. Is it bad for the legs or did they know you were going to sleep?

I really don't know my position. I go in on Thursday, so I'll try to take note. Now, the question is...will I let this question affect the way I'm sitting or will I sit the way I usually do? Oh Dear!
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

BlueeyedManda

#6 Post by BlueeyedManda »

I always cross mine, makes me feel more comfortable. Funny thing is my regular dentist actually commented on this the first day I was in the office. He jokingly said to the assistant, her legs are still crossed she must still be scared of us. :lol: I wasn't scared but crossing is just a habit.

hollywood_smile

#7 Post by hollywood_smile »

i dont "cross" my legs, cos i dont wanna look too calmed and too comfortable i even sometimes let one leg down but the ortho tells me to feel comfortable that i wont need to run :oops: or sometimes the same leg ilet down i kinda "fold"(?) ( knee) but seems that it bothers the dentist so she says to stay calmed :oops: i act like an animal out of its "habitat" lol!! :D

but i do cross my hands :wink: i cross them and put themon my stomach :lol:

do you have a link or something???? :?:
I sooo Want a hollywood smilee....!!!!
http://hollywoodsmile.blogspot.com/

Flora2006

#8 Post by Flora2006 »

Lucyloop wrote:I find I fiddle with my hands a lot though at my adjustments. I also hate waiting for the chair to raise at the end, so I just sit up myself. I'm not a fan of those chairs!! :)

LUCY xxx

I do the same thing :) I especially hate when the chair starts going down...that's the worse because it means the beginning of whatever it is the doctor has to do. It feels like the chair goes down forever.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Leslie022

#9 Post by Leslie022 »

My legs stay crossed as well....arms too. Speaking of the chair raising/lowering. I always wait until the chair all the way down before I lay back. I just find it annoying to keep having to re-adjust as the chair lowers.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Way Too Old For This

#10 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Well I took note yesterday while in the chair for more than an HOUR! Yikes. And that was after going in the AM to get the wires off, then going to the dentist for a cleaning...

My legs were crossed and my hands were clenched together the whole time, except for twice when I actually stuck my finger in my mouth with hers because she was trying to put bands on my very back top molars and got some cheek caught between tooth and band. Ouch. It is very very tight back there...don't know how I'll ever keep it clean.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

wearetheborg

#11 Post by wearetheborg »

KK wrote:This is another interesting question ... love these types of questions! wearetheborg have you any links to this research ... I'm interested due to having a number of clients with sleep issues?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3112170.stm

This is the only one I found. But I swear I think I read in readers digest on other positions, whether legs were crossed, on top of each other etc.

wearetheborg

#12 Post by wearetheborg »

Crap, we really do need the edit option...Anyhoo, by legs crossed I meand just the ankles crossed - it doesnt effect the position of legs from knees upwards.
So I didnt mean are legs crossed or wide open as in a split - I mean just the lower leg position

meesoo100

#13 Post by meesoo100 »

i always cross my legs at the ankles too. it's very comfortable and i always thought it gave out the notion that i was relaxed and intrepid!.....guess i was wrong there! lol :lol:

jcdamon3

#14 Post by jcdamon3 »

I have no idea if I cross my legs or not. I probably do. I am MUCH more aware of my hands because I have to concentrate to keep them out of a clawlike configuration. I try to clasp them together but when something painful starts happening I can feel fingers start to try to move out of the position - rising up in oppostion to what is going on!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

SmileyGirl

#15 Post by SmileyGirl »

Ankles crossed usually.

If my mouth is open I'm hanging on for dear life to the arms of the chair. My dentist always asks me if I'm ok because I clench the arms of the chair so tightly.