Wednesday is the day

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

today53

Wednesday is the day

#1 Post by today53 »

Hi all,

I am a bit excited and a bit concern, as I am finally getting braces on Wednesday morning.

I have been in and out of the dental office for the last 6 weeks or so, having my teeth pulled out and such.

Really don't know what to expect on Wednesday. Really worry that I won't be able to eat some food, especially curry. Also, having to brush my teeth after every meal is not exactly encouraging. Imaging bringing a toothbrush and toothpaste on a nightout...What have I gotten myself into?!

missingu

#2 Post by missingu »

Welcome today53. I'm not exactly an expert at braces, having only had them a few months.

From your comment about curry, I guess you are getting some ceramic since curry stains are not an issue with metal. But i'm guessing.

In the "best" world, we'd all take a toothbrush with us when we go out, but sometiimes that isn't the case, and the ortho assistant who put on the braces talked about that. She basically said brush after eating when you can, when you can't, at least try to rinse your mouth out with water after the meal and brush when you can.

I hope no one thinks I'm saying not to brush cuz I 'm not! It's just that even the ortho's office said that sometimes life gets in the way and you brush very regularly, but if you can't now and then, as long as you do your best to keep your mouth clean, they don't want braces to mess up things for you. You'll probably find you want to go to the ladies room once or twice when out just to see if there is food in the braces, just to make sure everything looks OK when you are out.

Beyond that, depending on what your treatment involves and the braces, you'll probably be sore for a few days after getting them on - I wasn't !! - and maybe inside of mouth a little rough. The other tips I've seen from other people who posted are to put on lip balm before/during if your lips get chapped and go to the restroom before the process starts. Bring music to listen to if that will help, too.

Keep us posted between now and then and welcome.

sjsarre

#3 Post by sjsarre »

Hey, i'm in the same boat. Getting ceramic upper and lowers on Thursday morning at 9am..

I absolutely adore curry and in fact all the food that you can't eat with braces, guess it'll be great for the diet!

Mind you. Knowing me and how much I love my food, its gonna be a case of where there's a will, theres a way with me...

I'm sure i'll find an genius way of eating all that stuff...

kirst1583

#4 Post by kirst1583 »

Hi today53 - nice to see another Sydneysider!
Good luck for Wednesday, i'm sure it will all be fine.
Braces are like anything. It will take you a little while to adjust but after that you wont even notice them. Just keep remembering the reasons for your decision and focus on the end result :wink:
On the topic of going out - generally I don't take a toothbrush with me, but after I eat I just go to the bathroom and check my teeth and if need be I swish some water and get any food out that way. It doesn't become too much of a hassle. You get used to it pretty quick.
Well once again good luck. I'll look forward to hearing how things go.. so be sure to keep us posted. :thumbsup:

sjsarre - Good luck for Thursday. Hopefully all will go well for you also and it will be a smooth beginning to your braces journey!

Kroozergirl

#5 Post by Kroozergirl »

Hey Today,,,,,Wed is the day for me as well! getting Ceramics on top, Metal on the bottem,,,excited but nervous at the same time!
:)

shaynesgirl

#6 Post by shaynesgirl »

Hi all,

I am new here and also a Sydneysider :)

Wednesday is also my "B-day" and I'm very much looking forward to it. At the moment I have 8 spacers/separators between my teeth but have not had to have any extractions.

I've also been worried about having to brush after eating, as my job involves face-to-face contact with the public and alot of talking. I think I'll be sticking with soft food for work and deal with the more complicated food bits at home!

KK I am closely following the advice you have to give. It's good to know I will be well-prepared for those first few days after having the braces put on!

missing_tooth

#7 Post by missing_tooth »

Congrads on getting braced. I know it's easier said than done, but it's really nothing to worry about. I found no pain when getting braced, with a couple of exceptions hours later. Yes it does take some getting used to, but I found it to be very manageable. As far as taking a toothbrush with you everywhere, I confess to not doing that. Almost always a swish of water will remove any food. Note: Almost always.

In any event, welcome to the world of braces.

- Missing Tooth -

today53

#8 Post by today53 »

Hi all,

thanks for the reply. Just like to share this moment with everyone, got the metal on my teeth an hour or so ago. The feeling is quite strange.

Good luck, shaynesgirl, Kroozergirl and Sjsarre.

lionfish

#9 Post by lionfish »

Hi today53, I'm also in Sydney.

On which side of the Harbour are you?

Kroozergirl

#10 Post by Kroozergirl »

Hi All, Got my braces this morning, went pretty smoothly, no pain....yet:) Got pieces of harden wax on my back molars so I can eat,, Have an over bite thats why. For sure going to be drinking lots of smoothies in the next while...I will show some pics soon.
Krooz

shaynesgirl

#11 Post by shaynesgirl »

Hi Kroozergirl, I also have an overbite, and a bit of crowding of my front teeth. Was braced Wednesday, yesterday morning. I have been eating mainly soups and yogurts and mashed potato as I find I can't really chew anything yet without pain. Hoping it will get better soon, I'm getting hungry!
35 yr-old mother of 2
Braced 5/4/06
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers

Kroozergirl

#12 Post by Kroozergirl »

Hi Shaynesgirl, I don't really have to much pain, just discomfort, but that could be because my mouth does not close together at the moment:)But I did wake up with a sore neck this morning!! I had mash potatoes yesterday and yogurt, right now I am going to try some pasta,,,,,,