Question about elastics - HELP!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Painfulvanity

Question about elastics - HELP!

#1 Post by Painfulvanity »

Hi, I am 40 yrs old and do not yet have braces, however I have a quadhelix appliance. My ortho glued some brackets on the outside of my upper molars and on the inside of my lower molars. She is trying to widen my teeth and at the last visit she put elastics on (the right side only) attaching them to the upper/outer teeth and running the elastic to the inside of the lower teeth to try and pull the bottom teeth out. First of all, has anyone had this done?

I always thought elastics were used on the outer top to outer bottom, sometimes crossways, etc. The second problem is that by having the elastics on one side only it pulls my lower jaw because there is no counter balance on the other side. I hope I am explaining this well, because I am hoping this is a common practice that works. Please help? Thanks

Clo

#2 Post by Clo »

Hi,

yes, I had that even several times.
You can see it on this picture :

I had it on my left side only and later on on both sides. Mine were attached
to my second molars. It worked to tip my lowers out a bit. In my case, the
elastics there were very heavy, but still I did not feel this unbalance thing.
But maybe it is because I have elastics in all sorts of configurations for so
long now. I guess within some days you will not feel this anymore. After
some days, I did not feel them not at all anymore. And to ease your mind,
of course this works. And even very quickly !

Good luck !

Painfulvanity

thanks for you reply!

#3 Post by Painfulvanity »

Hi there and thanks for taking the time to reply and for the pics.

Much appreciated!

chrisd

#4 Post by chrisd »

this can be done to correct a crossbite too
http://community.webshots.com/user/cruelcanbekind
3m clarity on top changed to supertorque metal
3m victory metals bottom
estimated treatment time 16-20 months