Spacers Input please

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Saycheesenikki

Spacers Input please

#1 Post by Saycheesenikki »

Spacers still hurt since April 4th? I got 7 rubbers & 1 metal. They make my teeth feel so loose (I know its just a feeling) but it really bothers me. Is this normal? The throbbing doesnt help either but Advil & noodles make it better for time being. I get braced with ceramic uppers & lowers this Thurday- woo-hooo :shock:
3/28/06 8 Spacers
4/6/06 Fully Braced(Ceramics)
7/11/06 3rd Adjustment

Don't Frown. You never know who's falling in love with your smile.

Tiffchelle

#2 Post by Tiffchelle »

Hey, I feel your pain! I had spacers put in 3/23, and ended up picking them out because I couldn't deal with it. I had them put back in last Friday, in preparation for my brace day, which is tomorrow. They hurt me something awful for quite a while, and today they are just a little sore, not really in pain. It's probably normal for you to still feel the pain. When I went back, the assistant to who put them back in told me that if you just go with the pain for 3 to 4 days, it gets much better after that. I found that BC powder works really well, really quickly, since it circumvents digestion and gets right into your system. I hope you feel better soon! Best wishes on your brace day!

Saycheesenikki

#3 Post by Saycheesenikki »

Tiffchelle- thanks for replying. Yeah Im not feeling pain just annoyance. Im such a baby though. I read some people after 3 days could chew & all & Im still not able to bite down without thinking my teeth will fall out ( I know they wont). They dont feel strong enough & kind of hurt when I do bite down. THese 4 freaking Molars feel huge. Good luck tomorrow & let me know how it goes. Its so exciting & scary at the same time. Thanks again & smile :D
3/28/06 8 Spacers
4/6/06 Fully Braced(Ceramics)
7/11/06 3rd Adjustment

Don't Frown. You never know who's falling in love with your smile.

nimo

#4 Post by nimo »

I had spacers for almost two weeks and they never really stopped hurting. The degree to which they hurt changed, but I was still beyond happy to get them out.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

shaynesgirl

#5 Post by shaynesgirl »

Hi there,

Today is my sixth day in (rubber) spacers, I have 8 of them. The soreness has been low-grade and constant. I found that a good brushing of my teeth was the only thing to alleviate it (for a couple of hours). Biting down and chewing has been difficult, I have had to use my front and back teeth more and eating softer type foods.

The spacers will be removed tomorrow when I finally get braced (ceramic on top, metal on bottom). All the best to all of us being braced this week!

Evelyn

#6 Post by Evelyn »

Hey Nikki,

Time's the only thing that's really going to make the pain go away, but in th mean there are ways to temporarily get rid of it. My best recommendation would be fresh fruit smoothies and advil, always an award winning combination for pain imho

xoxo Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

sweetgurl

hey

#7 Post by sweetgurl »

spacers are really not that bad. i had four non metals one. the second day it hurt that i took them out. then at night i put them back on. but then the third day it was ok and so forth. some soreness but it ok. hang in there. i think spacers are more sore than braces. braces is just the banding hurt your cheek but not that bad than spacers

Saycheesenikki

#8 Post by Saycheesenikki »

I wasnt expecting my bite to change from the spacers & the spongy feeling kind of freaked me out :shock: I have no idea of what to expect so I love this site & everyone here is great. It makes this journey so exciting knowing so many people are here for one another. Thanks for filling me in. Group Hug.
GOOD LUCK today Shaynesgirl Lets us know how you did. Yes I can relate on brushing I actually use the electric brush just to massage my gums & that works wonders. Evelyn- Look at you almost done Awesome!
Only when I bite down I am quickly reminded of the spacers & After eating macaroni like a pelican I have switched to Smoothies & stuff. Thanks Everyone. 2 more days to B-Day.........Lets do this! 1-2-3-Break!( isnt that what football SPAMMERS LIKE ME say before making the play? ha ha) Good Luck Everyone.

shaynesgirl

#9 Post by shaynesgirl »

Thanks nikki, I'll be letting you know, I will be fully braced in approx in approximately 3 hours :shock: I lose 2 more spacers yesterday, those things can only take so much chewing....

ashantia

#10 Post by ashantia »

I was wondering if anyone here has or knows of braces and spacers being put on at the same time? I just got braced yesterday, ceramic tops and metal bottoms. But I have 4 spacers in-3 metal, that were put in when my braces went on. I have to go back next week for another hour long appt. so I am assuming it is to take them out and put the brackets maybe that will connect everything? Any thoughts? My roomie had braces too and thought it was weird that they went on the same time so thought I would ask. I know different orthos have different methods, and I think I read of this a while back....

Thanks!

mia_cro

#11 Post by mia_cro »

Ashantia I had the same question and I am glad not to be the only one!
I got braced 2 months ago (upper ceramic) and 3 days ago I went to get lower metal. My otho said that he has to put spacers (4 rubber) to make room for the bands but has placed brackets on front teeth!!!
What puzzles me is that my next appointment is 05.05!!!!
Everybody says you wear them for like 10 days! Can I take them out earlier?Or would that close the space made???
Ortho said not to worry if they fall out cause it means they did their job...
I'll freak out if I have to wear them for over 3 weeks!!!!
Advice anyone???

Leslie022

#12 Post by Leslie022 »

Just know that the spacers are the worst part of the whole process.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top