Teeth extraction question...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sillygirl

Teeth extraction question...

#1 Post by Sillygirl »

Hello all,

I had 5 teeth extracted last Tuesday (4 pre-molars and 1 wisdom). The wisdom tooth area is giving me a lot of pain, the other 4 no problem at all.

My biggest question (and concern): is it possible for the oral surgeon to leave part of the tooth in there???

My pain has been getting worse since day 3 of the extractions. Some days are a little better than others. I am one who hates taking medication, OTC or prescribed, and I have taken alot of the pain meds the doc prescribed. Anyway...yesterday was the worst day so far (pain in ear, under jaw, throat, pulsing near extraction site, etc.). Last night I looked at it to see how it was healing and I saw a white thing in the whole where the wisdom tooth used to be (I had just brushed my teeth and rinsed well). I thought it was food so I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed, it was still there. So I carefully took a floss pick, had my husband hold a flashlight and I tried to pick it out. When I first touched the white spot it dissappeared. Wierd! Then I swallowed and looked again and it was back. So I touch it with the pick and it was hard, like a tooth or bone. I scraped the pick across it, it didn't move, it didn't hurt either, but it was HARD, not food.
This morning it is gone. What was it? Should I call my oral surgeon? I am wondering if a piece of the tooth is still in there and that is why it is hurting soo bad and getting worse as the days go on.

Please HELP!!
Thanks-

**I posted this in the "ASK DOC" section as well**

March 7, 2006 Quad-Helix Expander placed

wearetheborg

#2 Post by wearetheborg »

Yes call him, it cant hurt for him to have a look. My surgeon actually had me come in a week after to see how things were progressing - it only took him lke 30 seconds (everything was fine).
I was not in pain a week after (tho I was not eating chips ir nuts or hard foods).

Sillygirl

#3 Post by Sillygirl »

I called the office this morning. They said it was bone chips and it is very common for them to work their way out. YUCK! Most people don't even notice.
They said I probably swallowed it last night while I was sleeping. Lovely. Just what I always wanted.

But other than that, I am doing ok.

debonairdenise

EWWW!

#4 Post by debonairdenise »

WOW...I HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH FROM THIS SITE. SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR PAIN. I'M HAVING MY 4 WISDOM TEETH REMOVED ON THURSDAY (4/4/06) AND NOW I'M REALLY WORRIED. HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOU TO HEAL AND BE PAIN FREE OR ARE YOU STILL IN PAIN?

DENISE

Sillygirl

#5 Post by Sillygirl »

It has been one week today since they have been removed. Today has been the best day so far. I think the pain was because of the bone chip. The surgeon's office said it is normal/common but I haven't seen anyone post anything about it on here.
I don't want to scare you, everyone is different. Just follow the instructions the doc gives you and take a few days to recover. Don't hesitate to call them after the procedure if you have any questions.

Good luck on Thursday!!

Missingorigin

#6 Post by Missingorigin »

I am VERY LUCKY. AFter i got all 4 wisdom teeth out at the same time, I had pain about 1 hour after, i only took the tylenol ONCE, after that, I had NO pain at all, though i did have trouble with making it stop bleeding. it took me 24 hours to make it stop bleeding.

braceface1230

#7 Post by braceface1230 »

One of my wisdom extractions left a chip in there. It too was irritable the entire time it was in, but it did work its way out in about 2 weeks.