Teeth Gap

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Cultureicons

Teeth Gap

#1 Post by Cultureicons »

I have pretty big gaps between my two front teeth and between my top and bottom teeth and I was wondering if anyone knew what type of braces I'd need and such? Or could give me any advice?

& how long from having your first consultation does it generally take to get the braces on?

Thanks.

mtbrncofn

#2 Post by mtbrncofn »

Hi Cultureicons!

I had the same problem as you. I have full metal braces. My ortho told me he wouldn't put ceramics on my teeth because when you have large gaps like I had, you need to put a lot of force on them to close them and the ceramics just aren't strong enough.

I've been in braces for about 11 months and I'm set to get mine off. Here's where I started. You can see mine are similar to yours.
These were my teeth two weeks into braces.

Here is one taken about a month and a half ago.

It's well worth it, IMO.

Good luck!
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

Cultureicons

#3 Post by Cultureicons »

Oh wow, your teeth look great mtbrncofn. You have now made me excited to get my braces on.
& only 11 months? That's amazing.
Thanks for the pictures, I now know what to expect.

mtbrncofn

#4 Post by mtbrncofn »

Cultureicons wrote:Oh wow, your teeth look great mtbrncofn. You have now made me excited to get my braces on.
& only 11 months? That's amazing.
Thanks for the pictures, I now know what to expect.
Thank you very much! It's such a change after going through my whole life with those dratted gaps. If you're anything like me, you hate them with a passion.

I wish you all the best in your braces journey!

mtbrncofn

#5 Post by mtbrncofn »

KK wrote:mtbrncofn I forgot to add that yor teeth are looking fantastic! :thumbsup:

Plus I love your purple chain ... gee I hope my ortho has some coloured ones ... I was shattered when I was back in the car and realised I had tooth coloured ones on ... yuck! :cry:
Thank you very much, Karen!

I guess they do differ. Yours seems to be working well and mine did too, so obviously they are both good at what they do! :)

Congrats on that great progress there, Karen!

mtbrncofn

#6 Post by mtbrncofn »

KK wrote:I should have done exactly that Meryaten ... as that's way better than feeling p'd off and wondering how these tooth coloured things are going to look after being attacked by copious quantities of curry, tea, red wine ... etc.

I'm hoping my ortho has coloured chains ... as it's really weird he didn't say anything, as he commented on me wanting to change from purple to blue ligs ... oh well ... another 5 weeks and 6 days ... or whatever ... and I can find out! :banana:
I would think they would, Karen. For your sake, I hope they have purple for you! :D My ortho has chains in all the same colors that ligs come in.