Only the second day, me so hungry

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

today53

Only the second day, me so hungry

#1 Post by today53 »

Hi all,

Got the metal on my teeth yesterday, haven't been able to eat properly and I am starving. I can't believe it is so difficult to eat, the hook at the end contantly poking my tongue while I try to eat. It is simply frustrating.

In addition, just found out that one of the brackets poped off when I got home this afternoon, will have to see if the orthodontist could fit me in during lunch time tomorrow to glue that thing back on, if not, may have to wait till next Monday. Frankly, it is not a great start of a 2 year sentence, very discouraging.

today53

shaynesgirl

#2 Post by shaynesgirl »

Hi, I was braced on Wednesday also (ceramic on top, metal on bottom).
And I have those hooks sticking into my tongue as well, so today I have a very sore tongue!

As KK advises, wax is my new best friend, I don't go anywhere without it, I've got little packets of wax in every room of the house!

Today I ate beef noodle soup from a Chinese takeaway, the noodles and meat were very soft and it was a satisfying meal. I've also stocked up on eggs, yogurt and rice desserts. Hopefully the soreness will subside within a few days and I can try chewing again.

Good luck today53, from what I've read on this forum, the soreness and sensitivity will not last too long.
35 yr-old mother of 2
Braced 5/4/06
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers

jas_2008

#3 Post by jas_2008 »

Hi -

I felt the same way when I had my braces last Monday! hang in there and it will get better. and use the wax ... for a whole week I was living on yogurt and rice pudding. only this week was I able to try some over-cooked noodles, very very slowly... :lol:

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

Hi today53, hang in there, it will get better. I had lower ceramics placed on Monday and they have a much bigger profile compared to what I've been dealing with on my upper arch. It's taken me til today (Friday) to turn the corner with the lowers, but I'm on my way.

I don't know if there's anything in what I'm about to write, but I'll put it down anyway. I swim heaps, including in the sea. I've had very little trouble with irritation from my braces and I wonder if it's the effect of the salt water and pool chemicals?

So if you're close to the beach and like frolicking in the surf, give it a go and see what happens.

OneTime

#5 Post by OneTime »

Stavation sucks, I too know how it felt when you can't eat right. After 3 weeks it started to get better. I was eating more and normal.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

sydsmom

#6 Post by sydsmom »

Ahhh, the evil Day 2 strikes again! Hang in there, Today53!!!

Day 2, at least for me -- and probably for many of us here -- was absolute MISERY! My ortho had warned me but I didn't believe him :oops:

I had pokey things stabbing me in the cheeks, my brackets were tearing up the inside of my lower lip, and my molars didn't touch so I couldn't chew a thing. What a nightmare, I thought, to suffer like this for the next two years!

Eventually (with the help of the awesome folks on this board!) I decided to end the insanity by giving in to the wax after much resistance, doing saltwater rinses 4 or 5 times a day, and eating liquid food and things I could swallow whole (which I resisted also, out of pure stubbornness) for a few days. Soup with soggy crackers is great, as are smoothies, protein drinks, soft bread with peanut butter, etc.

I turned a corner around Day 3 or 4, and by Day 7 or 8, I was pretty much back to normal and wax-free. You will get there too!
Lower bicuspids extracted 1/11/06
Braced (full metal) 1/18/06

Saycheesenikki

#7 Post by Saycheesenikki »

Hey Today53, I'm sorry to hear you are having a rough start. I hear things will get better, Hang in there. We are all here for you. Im on my 2nd day & I refuse the attempt to chew so Im eating noodles like a pelican. ha ha. The blender is wonderful & I got a food chopper which helps a great deal. It chops the meats & veggies up so you can eat it off a spoon. It sounds gross but its good & helps get the nutrients a body needs.
I hope you feel better.
3/28/06 8 Spacers
4/6/06 Fully Braced(Ceramics)
7/11/06 3rd Adjustment

Don't Frown. You never know who's falling in love with your smile.

Kourtney Kitty

#8 Post by Kourtney Kitty »

I've been braced for 8 days exactly and I am starting to be able to eat normally. This morning I ate an eggg mc muffin from McDonalds, and I just took it really slow. Your mouth will also toughen up in about a week. I dont have the brace imprint on the inside of my cheeks anymore.

Continue to use wax, and take it slow. You will be able to eat very soon.
Kourtney Kitty = Geek Girl = Brace Face! Whoo Hoo!

sjsarre

#9 Post by sjsarre »

Hey, i'm hoping it will be the same for me!! Its been three days since I had my brace put on and i'm in alot of pain. All my teeth are throbbing. I'm managing to eat. But not chew. I have to eat soft food which I use my tongue to break down even more on the roof of my mouth before I swallow.

Fingers crossed in the next couple of days I might actually manage to get some sleep aswell!

lionfish

#10 Post by lionfish »

The first few days are the worst, but it will ease up after that. I was out to dinner last night and coping quite well with Portuguese sausage (which is quite chewy), lamb and chicken. And I had no problem biting into the egg tart at the end. Just cut the stuff up small and chew slowly.

And none of my mates noticed my braces! Ha ha.

today53

#11 Post by today53 »

Thanks for all the encouraging words, appreciate them.

Apart from the bracket thing, the hooks, cheek poking wire and not able to eat properly, the experience is not as bad as I first anticipated. I still have to wait till Wednesday to get the bracket clue back on though.

On the bright side, I discovered a cafe that serves really good soup near my work place. What a bless!