The real deal with Damon?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

twinklehunkydory

#31 Post by twinklehunkydory »

jennielee81 wrote:
Betty Bat wrote:Sorry that my post wasn't clear. I don't regard changing wires as a problem either. I'm on my third set of wires and it's been about 6 months. I don't have a good feel for whether this is "fast" or "slow", compared to other folks. And, there was a question about treatment speed somewhere in the initial post.

But, the opening/closing part has become a problem for me. I'm currently using Colgate Total toothpaste. What kind do you use?

And, when you said "It's the skill of the ortho, NOT THE BRACKET", were you referring to my opening/closing problem? If so, do you have any advice? I really don't want to switch orthos at this point.
SO glad that's clearer now. :dance: I don't want a newbie thinking that wire changes were a problem!! I've had 5 upper and 4 lower wire changes in 11 months.

I use Rembrandt Canker Sore or Sensitive toothpastes. Every time I suggest someone use one of these, I get this: :roll: . Hey, it's worth it if it helps, right? My ortho's assistant is always quite pleased at how easily my doors open and close.

No, I was referring to the original poster about the skill thing. Not your doors. I'm very sorry if that was vague. :oops: Thank you for being patient with me :wink:

I just think (please note that this post is directed at NO ONE in particular) that my ortho and Damon 3's are a perfect fit. Neither the Damons nor my ortho are for everyone. Like Maryaten said, the problems seem to be infrequent.

To each his own, what works for many may not work for some. I don't know if what I want to say is what a I am saying...... :cry:

Just be aware that I am not judging, ridiculing, or cutting anyone down for their orthodontic choices. I just want posters to know that Damon's aren't bad. (again, not directed at any previous posters).
All this is rather new to me, all I've ever had was a removeable brace, i think you guys call it a retainer, when I was very young. It didn't help much in the long run.

So yeh, all this stuff about wire changes, and sores, and ulcers, and wires slipping round, headaches, pressure... erm, it's a little bit scary! I've been geting really psyched about finally getting my teeth sorted, but I guess it's good to know all that's involved, even if it is a little bit off nervewracking!
dare to reach for your dreams, and dare to live those dreams

ingyandbert

#32 Post by ingyandbert »

Regarding the relative popularity of Damons, my ortho's office is also a Damon training center. They have orthos from all over the U.S. and many foreign countries come to train on the Damon system. At one of my appointments about a month ago, the ortho told me they had just had a group of orthos from Korea come in. Damons are definitely gaining in the marketplace.

Betty Bat

#33 Post by Betty Bat »

I think that one of the best things about this board is the support that you get - on almost anything.

And, I also think that the board is remarkably consistent in the advice that is given out. Once again, it's clear that your ortho makes much more of a difference than the type of brackets you have.

But, if you have a few extra bumps along the way, remember that there is almost always someone out there who has gone through the same thing. Or at least is willing to give you some words of encouragement and support. Thank you so much.

I will say that I have found my braces to be much easier than I had expected. And, they are making a real difference in the way my teeth line up. I'm very pleased with my progress. Now, if only my brackets would open on command, ....

missingu

#34 Post by missingu »

jennielee81

Articles of interest:

1. "Self-ligating brackets: where are we now?"
Journal of Orthodontics, 2003
Volume 30, pp. 262-273

(pretty easy to understand article, just right)

2. "Friction of conventional and self-ligating brackets using a 10 bracket model"
Angle Orthodontics, 2005
Volume 75(6), 1041-1045

(too technical for me)

3. Anything off Ormco.com's web site. Go to Ormco.com, click on the Damon box, click far right on Publications, click on Clinical Abstracts

(too marketing for me)

As always, information is power!

KittyW

#35 Post by KittyW »

I've had my Damon 3's on since December 2004. I'm 14-15 months into treatment and my ortho hinted that my teeth "were almost there" at my adjustment last week. :) My treatment time was estimated between 18-24 months. Who knows if traditional brackets would have done the job in a similar time frame? Everyone's treatment time will vary depending upon the severity of the corrections needed, so you have to look at your own individual situation.

I like the Damons because I don't need the rubber ligatures. Sometimes my adjustments can span 8 weeks. I went thru a 3 week period recentlywhere 3 brackets popped off. The ortho assistant said it was normal...the glue ages and the brackets sometimes pop. Could just as easily as happened with traditional brackets. As far as pain, I don't doubt that all braces cause about the similar amount of pain and inconvenience. :)

I've had issues of the doors not opening at adjustments. After 15 months in these things, I've decided that a properly trained ortho assistant using the special Damon tools usually has no trouble opening them. Whenever there are problems opening the doors, it is particular assistant who has the trouble in my case. As soon as she asks another assistant or the ortho to help her, viola, the door magically opens! :lol:

My ortho loves the Damons, but offers ceramics and traditional metal ones too. The ceramics are the only ones that cost more. Damons and traditionals cost exactly the same at my ortho's practice. About $7,000 for the entire schbang...xrays, braces, molds, all appts, retainers and 2 years of followup.
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006

Nikkiekoala

#36 Post by Nikkiekoala »

I have Damon 3's and I love them. I have/had crowding and a crossbite. When I went for a consult about 8 years ago I was told I would need 4 extractions to give me the room I would need to get my teeth straight. I decided at that time to wait. When I went in for a consult with a different Ortho a year ago. He recommened Damon's and didn't say anything about any extractions. SO I asked, he said with the Damon's I wouldn't need extractions. He also mentioned that having extraction could give me a sunken in profile therefore making me look older. Yikes I don't want to look older! I am really glad I didn't go for braces 8 yrs. ago. I am 8 months into treatment, I know longer have crowding and my crossbite is now gone. My treatment time is supose to be 24 months but it looks like it will be less. At my year date (Aug. 11th) the Ortho will be able to nail down how much longer I have. I have been very pleased with the Damons.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

Anna

#37 Post by Anna »

oh no. on april 22 i will be getting damon 3's attached on the lower row. its severely crowded which is why they recommend damons instead of the traditional brackets. i have traditional metal brackets above but had 2 extractions because of a huge overbite & overjet. i'm from the philippines however, the 2 orthodontists i consulted studied in the US. does ormco have some certification to install their product? i think i still have time to change my mind. i'm getting nervous after reading what some of you had to say. i don't believe i have ever personally met anyone wearing damons perhaps because i'm 34 and it has been about 17 years since people my age wore braces. :D
upper row (Metal) installed March 23
lower row (Damon3) to be installed April 22
2-year metal mouth sentence

Kazan

#38 Post by Kazan »

Hi Anna

I am in Damon 3s (and I'm 36!) Had them less than a month but so far not so bad other than things like canker sores which I guess come with braces of all kinds. I'm based in the UK but my dentist is South African and the Damon technology comes from the US so quite a mixed bag. I'm impressed with the technology so far. I imagine there will need to be care and maintenance as the months go by but from my previous days in braces I think that isnt unique to Damon. Overall, I'm a fan so far.

One question to all though: people keep mentioning that with Damons there is less need for extractions. Why is that? Is it because the brackets go on the front of the teeth and so they can cope even with severely overcrowded teeth?

Thanks

Kazan

Leslie022

#39 Post by Leslie022 »

Anna, try not to worry! Very few of us have had any problems with our Damons. No matter what bracket you choose, there is always a chance that a bracket might pop off or a wire break. I have absolutely NO problems! You should be fine as long as you have a competent orthodontist. I believe it was <b>ingyandbert</b> that said her orthodontist's office is a training center...
[quote=ingyandbert]Regarding the relative popularity of Damons, my ortho's office is also a Damon training center. They have orthos from all over the U.S. and many foreign countries come to train on the Damon system. At one of my appointments about a month ago, the ortho told me they had just had a group of orthos from Korea come in. Damons are definitely gaining in the marketplace.[/quote]
So, yes, your ortho <i>should</i> be trained. If not, report him! :)

Again, try not to let some of these "bad" stories scare you! I'm love my Damon's and find them to be incredibly comfortable. I wouldn't change brackets for anything...well maybe I would if someone offered me at least $50,000! :D
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Harpua

#40 Post by Harpua »

twinklehunkydory wrote:
jennielee81 wrote:
Betty Bat wrote:Sorry that my post wasn't clear. I don't regard changing wires as a problem either. I'm on my third set of wires and it's been about 6 months. I don't have a good feel for whether this is "fast" or "slow", compared to other folks. And, there was a question about treatment speed somewhere in the initial post.

But, the opening/closing part has become a problem for me. I'm currently using Colgate Total toothpaste. What kind do you use?

And, when you said "It's the skill of the ortho, NOT THE BRACKET", were you referring to my opening/closing problem? If so, do you have any advice? I really don't want to switch orthos at this point.
SO glad that's clearer now. :dance: I don't want a newbie thinking that wire changes were a problem!! I've had 5 upper and 4 lower wire changes in 11 months.

I use Rembrandt Canker Sore or Sensitive toothpastes. Every time I suggest someone use one of these, I get this: :roll: . Hey, it's worth it if it helps, right? My ortho's assistant is always quite pleased at how easily my doors open and close.

No, I was referring to the original poster about the skill thing. Not your doors. I'm very sorry if that was vague. :oops: Thank you for being patient with me :wink:

I just think (please note that this post is directed at NO ONE in particular) that my ortho and Damon 3's are a perfect fit. Neither the Damons nor my ortho are for everyone. Like Maryaten said, the problems seem to be infrequent.

To each his own, what works for many may not work for some. I don't know if what I want to say is what a I am saying...... :cry:

Just be aware that I am not judging, ridiculing, or cutting anyone down for their orthodontic choices. I just want posters to know that Damon's aren't bad. (again, not directed at any previous posters).
All this is rather new to me, all I've ever had was a removeable brace, i think you guys call it a retainer, when I was very young. It didn't help much in the long run.

So yeh, all this stuff about wire changes, and sores, and ulcers, and wires slipping round, headaches, pressure... erm, it's a little bit scary! I've been geting really psyched about finally getting my teeth sorted, but I guess it's good to know all that's involved, even if it is a little bit off nervewracking!

It is all quite nerve racking indeed, but once you get going, you will find likely find it a breeze when you consider all the fear you've worked up. Don't get hung up on a certain kind of bracket. If you would like to avoid extractions, get a few consults. There may be an ortho that is confident in approaching it without (regardless of bracket), but even still, in the end, extractions may be your best treatment. I understand trying to avoid it, but if it is the best option, it is the best option. Extractions are typically a walk in the park. I was majorly freaking out about mine, but I had 4 extractions done with only local anasthetic, took less than ten minutes and was pretty well recovered in about 2 days - virtually no pain. I had second bicuspids removed and no one could tell in the slightes that I was missing any teeth. Also, if its speed you want, extractions are gonna make for fast progress.

JoeMama

#41 Post by JoeMama »

I would hate for this message to get lost: There IS some difference in the type of bracket used for some people. And of course, you should always ask your ortho for his/her advice, they're the experts. I would have needed extractions and surgery if I used regular brackets. Mine wasn't a hypothetical situation, it was the real deal. I'm not going to need that with the Damon system. At least that's what I'm told. The point is that you should ask your ortho, but sometimes different brackets can have advantages for different people. I'm not saying that Damons are better or worse, I'm just saying that you should ask you ortho which method would be best for your situation.
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

Betty Bat

What type of Damon training should your ortho have?

#42 Post by Betty Bat »

Just to beat this subject a little farther into the ground ...

What should you look for if/when the ortho suggests Damons? How do you know that your ortho has the right training? Is there some required course for them to go through or is there some buzz word that should be mentioned? This sounds like a good thing for folks to check before they get their braces.

JoeMama

#43 Post by JoeMama »

This is what I would ask, and a couple of these questions would be good regardless of what they're recommending:

• How often does the ortho use Damons and how long have they been using them? Are they happy with the results?
• Why are they recommending Damons (or other) for you? And why would they be better for you than other braces?
• Ask them about their training if you're curious.
• And if you're still not satisfied or confident, ask them if they have a reference. Most professionals are asked for work refereces on a regular basis. I'm not sure if orthos do this or not, but you can ask.

In the end, you're the client - you have the right to ask as many questions as you want. You're hiring them to do work for you. Ask ask ask! :D

JoeMama

#44 Post by JoeMama »

Oh - and one more quick thing. Once you've asked your questions and made a decision regarding your ortho and treatment, you sort of need to trust them (in my opinion). You can always ask more questions, but constantly being in doubt your treatment doesn't seem like much fun.

ingyandbert

#45 Post by ingyandbert »

I had a consult with my current ortho several years ago, before they started using the Damon system. At that time, they told me I would need several extractions due to crowding. Later, I went back to them for another consult and they said because of the Damon technology, I would need NO extractions. In just two months in Damons, my teeth are much straighter and my arches are dramatically widened. I'm a believer!