Does Everybody Have To Get Elastics...?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JumpTheDitch

Wonky

#16 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Anticipator, you guys don't use "wonky"?

How bout "squiff" ?

Anticipator

Re: Wonky

#17 Post by Anticipator »

JumpTheDitch wrote:Anticipator, you guys don't use "wonky"?

How bout "squiff" ?
I've never heard or read a native born American use the term wonky, but I certainly think it sums things up much more succinctly (and pleasantly) than most of the other words that are available in our dialect.

Definitely never heard "squiff." Unless it's been used extensively on this board or had a notable appearance in an Austin Powers film, I'm probably unfamiliar with much of the British coloquialisms. :(
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

BraceUrself

#18 Post by BraceUrself »

Yesterday, I just hit my 6 mo mark & my Ortho told me that next week on the 13th, I will be coming in to get more spacers so I can be fitted for new bands to hold my -yep you guessed it-ELASTICS! I am excited but nervous too-I can take it though cause it all means progress right!!?? :D
Spacers-9-19-05
Top Braced-10-03-05
lowers on-10-17-05
appliance installed in mouth 10-17-05
2 extractions on 8-3-06
2 years treatment time

Dr says I won't finish on time

perfectangel818

#19 Post by perfectangel818 »

ok, a question about elastics... do damon3 brackets have the ability to do elastics? I'm not sure if i need them, but as far back as my jaw sits, i would imagine so. Anyway, just curious
Stacy

I_LiKe_PiNAPpLeS

yup yup

#20 Post by I_LiKe_PiNAPpLeS »

yah I think it depends on ur treatment..I think they're basically for your jaw allignment.

I first got rubberbands and the were really weird because they went across my front teeth :(

and today I just these ones which will only let me jaw open like half an inch! YUCK! well I'm just complaining..lol

I mean they're not that bad and they come in cool colors..and it sometimes means u'll be getting your braces off soon! woo! :D

JumpTheDitch

#21 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Anticipator you're missing out on some of the finer (and more colourful) examples of the english language! :lol:

"Squiff" is a little gem I picked up living in the Shetland Islands in the North Sea. They nearly laughed me out of the factory when I said "crooked". :D

PnkPrincess024

#22 Post by PnkPrincess024 »

ive always seen ppl have elastics in the back, not the front teeth

why do some people need them cris-crossed in front???

Flora2006

#23 Post by Flora2006 »

PnkPrincess024 wrote:ive always seen ppl have elastics in the back, not the front teeth

why do some people need them cris-crossed in front???
I asked about this to my ortho today when i had an adjustment and he said that it's for very particulr reasons. He said that I will probably not have elastics in the front, thank goodness...I really wouldn't be able to manage that!

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Kazan

#24 Post by Kazan »

I think Damon 3s can definitely take elastics. My ortho said I might have to have them - dont know if the might means "will" and he was just trying to ease me into it gently - and I can see that the Damon brackets at the back have these extra hooks on them so I suspect they aint there for hanging Christmas decorations on later in the year......................

JumpTheDitch

#25 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Novel idea though, maybe you should give that a go?

You could start a new trend..

JumpTheDitch

#26 Post by JumpTheDitch »

"All going pear shaped" is a fav of mine too :)

sjsarre

#27 Post by sjsarre »

I have a question with elastics. In my job it involves speaking on the phone to clients and meeting up with clients 5 days a week. I'm not certain that my ortho has planned elastics for me. I don't have an uneven bite or overbite.

Can people talk ok with elastics? Or do they become tiring?

xostephie

#28 Post by xostephie »

Hey yall! I got elastics on yesterday:( One my right side, they go from the very bottom back tooth to the top front K-9, and then on my left it goes from the back top tooth to the bottom front tooth (basically just the opposite on both sides, lol). I have an overbite so I'm assuming this is to correct it (My orthodontist tells me nothing!) Ok...so I have a question. He said wear it 24/7; does that include eating? I've been taking them off while I eat, and then just putting it back on right after. Do you think that's ok? Will it really affect it?

jmpmntwnty3

#29 Post by jmpmntwnty3 »

I have to wear elastics VERY soon, and I just got my braces put on :shock: My next appointments are July 26 and July 27. On July 26, I'll be getting spacers put in my top teeth to prepare for the RPE palatal expander :( And on the 27th, I'll be getting the darned thing installed :o Along with getting my braces tightened (TALK ABOUT PAIN!)

And then in August/September, I think I'll be getting elastics. Whew, the things we go through for perfect teeth :oops:

flowertowngal

take them out

#30 Post by flowertowngal »

I always took my elastics out to eat - I know some people can leave them in and they are just fine but I never could. I was obsessed about putting them back in immediately though - I can only think of twice in the 4 months or so that I wore them that I allowed an hour or so to go by after eating before putting them back in and those were special cases - out to dinner with friends and just didn't feel like it, you know?

We go the movies a lot and I had to get a mirror with a little light so that I could put my elastics back in DURING the movie when I was done with my popcorn, candy, whatever. Now that's dedication!