today was the day

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

trequ

today was the day

#1 Post by trequ »

Today was the day i got braces on!! im going to miss eating all those good things i cant have :( oh well i guess i'll just have to adapt. i walked into a resturant today, and thought everyone was staring at my teeth.

what has everyone else felt like when you first got your braces??

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

Hi!

Congratulations on getting your braces. What are you being treated for? How long?

Don't worry too much about the food...You will be eating normal food in no time. I eat chocolate ALL the time...Just make sure to brush your teeth right after.

I know what you mean when you say you feel like everyone is looking at you. I get the same feeling and it's been almost 3 months for me! I guess this takes time...longer for some people ;)

I hope you aren't in too much discomfort/pain/soreness. Make sure to rinse with warm water with a teaspoon of salt...and use your wax if your braces are hurting your cheeks.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

camusx

#3 Post by camusx »

:arrow:
When I first got my braces, I felt like I wasn't going to be able to eat anything. However my friends who had braces before told me they ate anything if they cut it into pieces. So its not that bad :-) I just dont rip appart food with my front teeth, I put pieces of food with a fork or with my hand inside of my mouth and start chewing. You should get a waterpick, they really help to clean your teeth for excess food stuck in your braces.

:D

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

I felt totally spaced out after getting my braces (possibly from being in a horizontal position for over an hour), ran a red light on the way back to work and almost hit another car. Fortunately, the driver of the other car was very sweet about it.

Saycheesenikki

#5 Post by Saycheesenikki »

Trequ- Hey there! Welcome & Congrats!!!! Im only on my second day of braces but I feel shy, proud, Excited & all other emotions. I woke up this morning (my first morning with them) I ran to the mirror to make sure nothing was hanging or broken or anything. Then I laughed. I havent gone out to eat in public yet. I need to get used to these guys first. I wish you a very smooth journey. Advil every four hours & I find using the electric toothbrush on my gums is heaven....Read up on everyones advice in these forums, they are great....Smile! :D
3/28/06 8 Spacers
4/6/06 Fully Braced(Ceramics)
7/11/06 3rd Adjustment

Don't Frown. You never know who's falling in love with your smile.

trequ

#6 Post by trequ »

flora2006, im being treated for crowding and an overbite. The ortho said it would be about 24 months

ashantia

#7 Post by ashantia »

Welcome!!!

Its only been 5 days and I still feel like EVERYONE is looking at me saying "look at her HUGE mouth" :) Its really silly cuz they dont look bad at all. I remember the night or two before I was thinking omigosh, a 26 year old with braces!!!! But then If found this site and was like thank goodness for archwired!!! I am always looking in the mirror trying to see what it looks like when I talk or smile because I feel they look really big to other people but they dont. I believe everyone that this will pass soon, and I will forget about them even being there!

Tia