Any Other Vegetarians Here?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Charles08b

#16 Post by Charles08b »

Woohoo! I've been a veggie for almost eight years now! I was doubly relived to see my ortho's list of things I am not supposed to eat because not only is meat not an issue, but I'm not much of a sucker for sweets, either!
Char

fromjersey

Vegetarian

#17 Post by fromjersey »

Well here's another one. Am almost vegan, meaning most of the time I am. Have not had meat for about 12 years. I'm surprised to see so many of us here. But glad.

doglover1395

#18 Post by doglover1395 »

I'm a veggie too...
It's amazing how many vegetarians are on this board!
Braced: 3/4/05
Debraced: 5/21/07
Sentence: 26 months

LizzyG

#19 Post by LizzyG »

I'm veggie too :D

Damon 3's upper and lower - 10 February 2006

materialsgirl

Me too!

#20 Post by materialsgirl »

Yup, I'm a veggie too - mostly vegan except for an occasional cheese indulgence. I'm new to this forum, and don't have braces yet, but it's good to know that my eating habits shouldn't pose too much of a problem. :)

lesdents

#21 Post by lesdents »

I was a vegetarian, but I'm not good at imposing diet restictions on myself.

I have a friend who is ANTI-vegan. She despises vegans and, to counter their efforts, she won't eat anything that doesn't have animal products in it!

She hates vegans. I don't have any hate, but I'll explain why they also annoy me:

I don't care if someone wants to just quietly not eat meat or animal products, declining offers of these foods with a simple, "no thanks." But a lot of people seem to really enjoy the attention of saying, "I'm vegan," like it makes them interesting or something, which it does not. AND, I know some people who, after being SO in-your-face about their high-maintenance eating agenda, sometimes eat breads that DO have eggs in it! And I've even seen some vegans refuse foods on the basis that it has honey in it. That just seems silly.

My boyfriend hasn't eaten meat since he was 4 - it makes him sick. He doesn't go around telling anyone, he just quietly refuses meat, because he's not doing it because of an image thing.

I think Americans eat way too much meat. We are being unneccesarily cruel to animals, whom we treat as pure commodities without any regard for their right to live in humane conditions. Also, overproduction of animals for meat is inefficient use of land and spoils its pH balance for many, many years, which is a shame. So I agree with vegetarianism, but I dislike when people are too "showy" about it. Makes it seem like an attempt to get attention, which is just lame.

Anyway, good for you guys for your discipline. You'll surely avoid cholesterol woes and ingestion of all the awful hormones they feed to animals these days.

missing_tooth

#22 Post by missing_tooth »

All this talk reminds me of how someone once registered peta.com ( the animal loving site is peta.org ) Supposedly they put a head line to the tune of P.E.T.A. People Enjoying Tasty Animals. In any event it now belongs to peta.

- Missing Tooth -

missing_tooth

#23 Post by missing_tooth »

All this talk reminds me of how someone once registered peta.com ( the animal loving site is peta.org ) Supposedly they put a head line to the tune of P.E.T.A. People Enjoying Tasty Animals. In any event it now belongs to peta.
So I heard

- Missing Tooth -

wearetheborg

#24 Post by wearetheborg »

I'm not a "vegetarian vegetarian" but I'm close to being a vegetarian. There are months where I'll go without meat. Not intentionally, but it just happens - I dont crave meat. Veggies on the other hand - ummmm. 8)

Svensk Tiger

#25 Post by Svensk Tiger »

I'm vegetarian, but only because I dont like meat, it makes me feel quite ill. I'm not an ethical vegetarian and have no problem with other people eating meat and will happily eat food containing meat products (i.e. chicken stock in soup) as long as I can't taste it!
Metal upper and lower: 6th Sep. 2005
Quad helix in: 1st Dec. 2005
Quad Helix out: 31st March 2006
Surgery (upper/lower/genio): 11th Nov. 2006
Braces off: 17th March 2007
Under chin liposculpture and fat transplant to cheeks: 20th October 2007

PigTails

#26 Post by PigTails »

I'm a vegan :D

missingu

#27 Post by missingu »

How do the veg/vegan folks get enough iron?

I tried veg. for about a year and became clinically anemic, so now I respond to my body, but shop at stores that do not support commercial farms or animal cruelty.

Flora2006

#28 Post by Flora2006 »

I am almost vegetarian. I eat chicken sometimes. Not a lot but still. I do want to become completely vegetarian so I try to eat chicken as little as possible... I don't eat and other meat or fish though.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

ingyandbert

#29 Post by ingyandbert »

missingu wrote:How do the veg/vegan folks get enough iron?

I tried veg. for about a year and became clinically anemic, so now I respond to my body, but shop at stores that do not support commercial farms or animal cruelty.
Meat is not the only source of iron. You should be able to get enough iron by eating dark green leafy stuff like spinach. I also take a multi-vitamin which contains iron. It's not a problem for me; I'm actually sensitive to iron. Too much iron in my diet makes me ill, so I have to be careful not to overdo it.

sydsmom

#30 Post by sydsmom »

Many people aren't aware that the calcium in dairy foods blocks iron from being absorbed. Some folks, upon trying a vegetarian diet, overdo it on the dairy because they're overly concerned about "getting enough protein" and might become anemic because of that.

As Karen said, it's definitely important to balance iron-enhancing and iron-inhibiting foods. My mom eats plenty of red meat and -- surprisingly to some, but not really to me --became severely anemic a couple of years ago.
Lower bicuspids extracted 1/11/06
Braced (full metal) 1/18/06