yeeaaahhh Im braced

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Saycheesenikki

yeeaaahhh Im braced

#1 Post by Saycheesenikki »

My name is Nicollette (Nikki) I am 27 & I just got braced this morning. I want to thank everyone here who has posted questions & answers. I have been reading these forums like a bible lately & because of that I was so prepared today. I knew what to expect & felt so relaxed. Which is cool because I am the biggest baby & have no pain tolerence at all. The bracket fitting & the sour taste I could of done without. The spacers are definitely more painful than the braces but lets see what tonight holds. :shock: Im flying on my adrenaline so Im feeling numb of any negative feelings. I feel slight pressure but so far so good. It's so exciting. I will post pics of my ceramics (upper & lower) later today. Im starving & I need to go blend something to drink. Thank You all again & I hope everyone is smiling. SAY CHEESE!
3/28/06 8 Spacers
4/6/06 Fully Braced(Ceramics)
7/11/06 3rd Adjustment

Don't Frown. You never know who's falling in love with your smile.

samantha_lou

#2 Post by samantha_lou »

Congratulations Nikki! I'm looking forward to seeing your photos! :D

I am totally with you on the spacers, they are nasty little critters...I have mine in for another week :shock:

Take care, and I hope you have a pain-free and relaxing evening.

ssfw

#3 Post by ssfw »

Hi Nikki,

Congratulations on getting your braces and I'm glad placing the braces on your teeth went smoothly. Do you also have spacers now? Yes, this website was a big help to me also when I was trying to decide if I wanted to proceed with orthodontic treatment.

I hope you don't encounter too much discomfort.

Keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

shinyam

#4 Post by shinyam »

Congratulations on taking the plunge!

shaynesgirl

#5 Post by shaynesgirl »

Hi Nikki, Congratulations! I know what you're feeling right now as I'm going through the same sort of feelings. I was braced on Wednesday and I was also thoroughly prepared thanks to this forum :)

I am smiling ALOT more lately even though I have some soreness. Hopefully you will be soreness-free so good luck with that! :D
35 yr-old mother of 2
Braced 5/4/06
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers

Saycheesenikki

#6 Post by Saycheesenikki »

Thanks guys. Its really not that bad so far but its still early :? . SSFW He removed the 8 spacers thank god felt so good. One was a metal spacer on bottom right because the rubber wouldnt get in there & the fitting for the bracket was rough but the other three went fine. So far I was more sore from the spacers. I couldnt believe how those little spacers changed my bite & all. Hang in there it gets better. So here I am at day 2 & my tongue will not sit still. My teeth are super sensitive but brushing feels good. I wont let my bite touch b/c thats not a good feeling. I had my blender & food chopper all ready so Im eating well but I was looking forward to losing a few pounds :wink: Shaynesgirl hello again, I hope you are feeling good, I hope you have no pain. Every 4 hours on the hour I have my 2 Advil as others suggested. I have to have the braces on for 12-15 months so its not that bad. My lips are lubed with vaseline & I think I will need my wax soon. That upper lip has to learn not to hang out on the top brace. Do you ever feel a tooth start to dance? Last night one of my teeth was doing the salsa or something. I figured it was a nerve or it was as excited as me & wanted to dance? ha ha I hope everyone is doing great if not I hear it gets better & hang in there. SMILE!
3/28/06 8 Spacers
7/11/06 3rd Adjustment

shaynesgirl

#7 Post by shaynesgirl »

Hi there Nikki, days 2 and 3 were ROUGH, but I have "turned the corner" as they say and now into day 4 feeling much better. Have learned how to use the wax, and starting to chew again :)

I think I have felt the salsa thing :lol: I like that because I feel like it's progress... I'm braced for at least 2 years I'm told

It's amazing what a difference the spacers make and now after being braced I can feel even more of a difference in my bite. I'm loving it... because, again, I feel like it's progress, however small.

Good to hear that you're well-prepared, you sound like you're coping great. It's good to know there are people out there who are going through the same sort of thing, I don't feel so alone. I hear you on the tongue thing :lol: I just can't keep it still either...
35 yr-old mother of 2
Braced 5/4/06
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers

Saycheesenikki

#8 Post by Saycheesenikki »

What intrigues me is that I am not in any pain. I know some people are cursing me right now. The ortho said before I left that if Im in that much pain call him but I felt just throbbing & sensitvity. Maybe after the spacers this is a walk in the park? Im confused b/c people are complaining about all the pain & all. Im on my 4th day & the only complaint is not being able to chew using front or side teeth. Super spongy. My back teeth are able to bite soft foods. Grilled cheese being my favorite this week. I know everyones pain tolerence varies but I am the most drama baby out there. Not that Im looking for the pain but just confused. Also my lips arent cut up I got no sores. I used wax on the top bracet thing on the back molar for one afternoon but thats it.

Shaneysgirl Im so glad things are smoothing out for you :D .
3/28/06 8 Spacers
7/11/06 3rd Adjustment

shaynesgirl

#9 Post by shaynesgirl »

KK the salt-water rinses are GREAT, I try to do that as often as possible and it's definitely helped.

Nikki, my 1st adjustment is on the same day as yours, 11 May :) I do alot of talking at work (customer service) and being on Day 6 with braces, at the end of a work shift, I am finding that my bottom lip is sore and a little swollen from the constant rubbing against the bottom braces (metal). That's about my only complaint at the moment (besides still feeling quite strange at times with braces in my mouth, "trapped" even :shock: )

I guess we are both lucky so far or just very well prepared from the advice we've received on this board.
35 yr-old mother of 2
Braced 5/4/06
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers

Kourtney Kitty

Me Too!

#10 Post by Kourtney Kitty »

My 1st adjustment is May 11th too!!!! As of now, I dont feel any pain except for in my jaw (CONSTANT pain) and when I eat. Looks like we're in this together!!!!
Kourtney Kitty = Geek Girl = Brace Face! Whoo Hoo!

Saycheesenikki

#11 Post by Saycheesenikki »

KiwiK I appreciate your input. Your advice is so great. Like I said its impossible to compare my level to others but I guess I just read so much of these forums & expected to feel the same. Im glad you yourself have had a smooth journey. I wish you many more comfortable days to come.

Shaynesgirl Very cool we are on the same page together. Yeah the lip soreness from the braces rubbing feels like a sunburn almost. But I bought vaseline intensive lip care & that is very soothing. I hear you on the "trapped" feeling. I've wanted to rip the braces off but I take it as a reminder of accomplishing that smile. Drinking a lot helps too this way the mouth doesnt get dry & start sticking. :? Otherwise Im also glad its been a nice ride so far for you as well. Now lets see how our first adjustment turns out, we can count down together :D.

KK Try using an old fashion waterbottle w/ warm water or soak a warm towel with warm water & apply. It helps along with advil of course. I hope it gets better for you. Very cool you have the 11th too.. well we can all count down 8). How long are you in for? How has it been aside from the jaw discomfort?

Thanks again to everyone. :D [/b]
3/28/06 8 Spacers
7/11/06 3rd Adjustment

Saycheesenikki

#12 Post by Saycheesenikki »

Shaynesgirl How are you feeling these days? How's that bottom lip doing?
Are you able to floss yet? I cant, due to my teeth being so tight together & super sensitive. I am brushing fine but Im kind of grossed out I cant floss. I bought the threader floss & That bad boy is not getting through either, it hurts from the pressure my teeth are feeling already so the slightest tap is not cool.... I guess I have to wait. I got some pics to post but Im a typical "blonde" when trying to figure how to do it. As soon as I get it I will definitely post 'em.

I hope everyone is doing well & smiling.
3/28/06 8 Spacers
7/11/06 3rd Adjustment

belmikry

#13 Post by belmikry »

finally found your forum! :lol:

sounds like things are going smoothly! - to upload pictures, open up whatever program you have to view images [paint, or digital software witht he camera] each will have a resizing option- I opt for around 300 pixels width so everyone can see- it's about life size then :)

then, go to photobucket.com or imageshak.us and upload your pictures- they will automatically upload and give you the copy paste links fo rhtem :) hope that helps- and I can't wait to see :)
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom