it looks like a retainer but the doctor call it bite plan?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tantra_204

it looks like a retainer but the doctor call it bite plan?

#1 Post by tantra_204 »

hi, I am new here actually. I have one question. I just got this thing called a bite plan..I am wearing my top braces right now and the doctor made a mold of my teeth last meeting. So today I went for the appointment and the doctor told me to wear this thing called bite plan. It looks like a retainer but you wear it the same time as braces, so my mouth is really full right now.. :(
The doctor said that it is used to separate the bottom teeth from the top teeth, so when I get my bottom braces, the braces will not hit the top teeth, has anyone here ever use it?How was it?oh, and doctor said I have to eat with that thing in my mouth, but I can take it off to clean it..Well, I try to eat and I could not even chew because that thing wont let me close my mouth, so I have to take it off before I eat.
If you ever used it, how did you eat with that thing?
thanks in advance. :wink:

Samantha08

#2 Post by Samantha08 »

Well I have a thing that sounds just like what you are talking about, but its called a "bite plate." Im guessing its probably the same thing. My ortho told me to take it out when I eat. But now I only have to wear it at night :)
You get used to it really quickly.
Estimated Time: 15-18 months

tantra_204

#3 Post by tantra_204 »

Bite plate?probably that's the name, i might have misheard it.
Does your bite plate is used to prevent the bottom teeth's wire scraping the top teeth?If it does, then it is the same thing as mine.

HeadgearJoe

Re: it looks like a retainer but the doctor call it bite pla

#4 Post by HeadgearJoe »

tantra_204 wrote:hi, I am new here actually. I have one question. I just got this thing called a bite plan..I am wearing my top braces right now and the doctor made a mold of my teeth last meeting. So today I went for the appointment and the doctor told me to wear this thing called bite plan. It looks like a retainer but you wear it the same time as braces, so my mouth is really full right now.. :(
The doctor said that it is used to separate the bottom teeth from the top teeth, so when I get my bottom braces, the braces will not hit the top teeth, has anyone here ever use it?How was it?oh, and doctor said I have to eat with that thing in my mouth, but I can take it off to clean it..Well, I try to eat and I could not even chew because that thing wont let me close my mouth, so I have to take it off before I eat.
If you ever used it, how did you eat with that thing?
thanks in advance. :wink:
hi tantra , yea i had to wear one even after my lower braces went on for about 6 months, i guess your like me an hand a very deep overbite, i had to eat with mine in , only to take it out to brush , you will get kinda use to it after a while , good luck , hgjoe
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

cactus

#5 Post by cactus »

Mine referred to it as a bite plane, with an "n" - and yes, the first few days of excess saliva were a bit much until my mouth/stomach or whatever realized that it wasn't some food stuck to the roof of my mouth that needed more juice to be dissolved.

And I finally, after a few days of having food [especially lettuce] slip right through my teeth without having been ground up, figured out where food bits/chunks had to be positioned in my mouth to have sufficient contact between upper and lower to get chewed properly. It should just take you a few frustrating days before you get it. But you WILL get it. Good luck

tantra_204

#6 Post by tantra_204 »

this plate is horrable...I tried to eat with it, I could not even chew my food and could not swallow it coz it's too big to be swallowed..
But seeing that there are some of u that can eat with it, I'll give it a try..
Thanks for the support guys!!! :D :D :D

akabraces

count me in

#7 Post by akabraces »

*yikes*

i'm getting a bite plate too...and so curious about it, like does it go under your teeth so they don't hit the lowers or BEHIND the teeth?

and can other people see it?

thanks!

*aka

sydsmom

#8 Post by sydsmom »

Mine just has two wire "hooks" that curve under my bicuspid on either side. Other than that, it can't be seen.

Although, the plastic part is really really thick, so it interferes with my speech. I only have to wear mine at night for now, but if I had to use it during the day, I'm pretty sure people would know I was wearing it because of the speech issue even though it technically can't really be seen.
Lower bicuspids extracted 1/11/06
Braced (full metal) 1/18/06