I'm going to get braces but...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

vivi

I'm going to get braces but...

#1 Post by vivi »

Ok I dont have insurance I live in Las Vegas the cost would be 5,680 for 28 months of treatment is it ok or too expensive?? I would have to pay everything in 14 months...

Oh and my orthondotist wants to remove 4 teeth AFTER I put on my braces do most orthontists do that because I've heard is easier to do it before I get my braces

perfectangel818

#2 Post by perfectangel818 »

Don't know if this helps, but mine are 5175 for 24-28 months, and i will pay 440 for each arch (before my insurance) and 155 a month. but remember that i'm in the midwest, in a small town, so it is bound to make a difference. as of right now i don't have to have any extractions, but we'll rethink that after 6 months.

If you have any doubts, get a second or third or fourth opinion. :)
Stacy

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

Hi, I am paying 5500$ CAN for my braces. I think it depends on your ortho and where you live. If you live in a big city (which you do), prices are usually more expensive.

As for the extractions, they can be taken out at any time. If you have concerns though, talk to your ortho.

Good look with everything :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

$5800 is a bit higher than average, but Las Vegas could tend to be more expensive. My treatment was around $5,000 for full braces for 2 years. I don't know why you have to pay for a 28-month treatment in 14 months. Most orthos stretch it out to the time of your entire treatment. Seems to me it should be over 24 months at least, not 14! You may want to ask why you need to pay it off so soon into the treatment.

Regarding the extractions, you should ask your ortho why he/she wants to do them after the braces. I'm sure there is a logical reason. Which teeth will be extracted? It must be back molars or wisdom teeth, because otherwise you would have gaps that would need to be closed.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

KJM

#5 Post by KJM »

Vivi,
I live in a big city area and my braces are $5400 for 24 months.
Did you get more than one consult? My sons first quote was over $6000 ( big fancy office!!) and the ortho we went with was $3800. ( not so big fancy office but did really great work) so they can vary depending on the ortho.

Good Luck!! :D
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

Kazan

#6 Post by Kazan »

I would think you definitely want the instalmnt payment regime to run over the length of the treatment. What happens if the guy closes down for whatever reason. The active phase of my treatment is scheduled to run for 12-14 months with the passive (retention) phase for a further year. My payment plan stretches the instalments over this entire two year period.

Often there are discounts for paying over a shorter time period but, in my experience, not significant and you still run the risk of having paid for goods that havent been delivered.

Joual

#7 Post by Joual »

I've had consults with 3 orthos.

Ortho #1 said about $6000, about 2 years - all clear braces (not sure if they were Inspire or ceramic braces, he showed me a picture of adult models wearing them). He's the only one that didn't write down the price. I wasn't comfortable with just a verbal estimate.

Ortho #2 said $5850, 25 months - ceramics on top, metal on bottom.

Ortho #3 said $4100, 20 months (he would do adjustments more often than ortho #2) - ceramics on top, metal on bottom.

I live in Buffalo. The first 2 consults were with orthos with their own private practices. The 3rd consult was with an ortho who is part of a group - he works for a practice where they have general and cosmetic dentistry as well as ortho. It's the same practice where I get my teeth cleaned & examined.

jennielee81

#8 Post by jennielee81 »

bbsadmin wrote:$5800 is a bit higher than average, but Las Vegas could tend to be more expensive. My treatment was around $5,000 for full braces for 2 years. I don't know why you have to pay for a 28-month treatment in 14 months. Most orthos stretch it out to the time of your entire treatment. Seems to me it should be over 24 months at least, not 14! You may want to ask why you need to pay it off so soon into the treatment.

Regarding the extractions, you should ask your ortho why he/she wants to do them after the braces. I'm sure there is a logical reason. Which teeth will be extracted? It must be back molars or wisdom teeth, because otherwise you would have gaps that would need to be closed.
Yup, that's what I was gonna say :wink: Thanks Lynn for saving me the time!! :-**

In addition...mine are $4,765 for 18 months for Damon 3's in the Washington DC area. My youngest daughter's were $6250 with a different ortho, for 36 months with traditional braces.

My best wishes for everying to you!!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

vivi

#9 Post by vivi »

well thank you everyone for replying so fast! =) I think I am gonna get a second opinion and no I am not getting my molars or wisdom teeth extracted ( I dont know what they are called) They are 4th from the front ( I dont know how to explain it) and they said they were going to extract them later because they didnt want my teeth moving around.... but does it matter if signed some papers because my friend told me that I signed a contract ... do I have to get them there now?? It looked like a contract I dont know what I was thinking.. Im 19 I shouldnt have signed anything huh? =(

Joual

#10 Post by Joual »

Vivi, it's the bicuspids that you're getting extracted.

No, you don't have to get the braces there. I signed some papers when I saw my 2nd ortho. I also made 2 appointments - one to get records & x-rays and another one to get braces on. I canceled those appointments when I saw the 3rd ortho since he had a much lower price estimate.

vivi

#11 Post by vivi »

Thank you Joual for replying Ive been stressing out because Im realizing how much money it actually is... Im gonna call them tomorrow to cancel and I'll let u know how it turns out thank you all so much....