Elastic placed on the wrong side?? pic

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JPSmiles

Elastic placed on the wrong side?? pic

#1 Post by JPSmiles »

I got my top clear braces in early Feb. Mid Feb I got bands put on, except for lower right due to tiny cavity. Early March, got spacers for lower right band to go in. Today I went in for my lower right band and noticed that I couldn't get my teeth to come together in the back so I can chew (chomped to see if I can feel metal).

So I mentioned this to the Dr. and she filed it down a bit and put me on some "speed wire" (what?). She said that cuspids on lower right molar fits in between cuspids on the top molar. By having a metal band, the outerside of the band is now hitting the top molar.

The Dr. instructed the assistant to put me on elastic. Then the assistant gave me elastics to put on. Here is what I don't understand. The mechanics/physics of this. If elastic connects from lower outside to top inside like this picture, how will my lower right molar "turn" outerward to face the top molar??? and come "face to face". I am thinking that it should be opposite. Hook from inside of lower molar to outside of top molar. Should I talk to my Dr? I won't see her for 4 weeks and I am scared that this elastic plan is going to do just the opposite of what should happen.

Today with purple ligs on bottom:

Elastic gone wrong??

JPSmiles

#2 Post by JPSmiles »

Not sure if i am posting pictures right.

JPSmiles

#3 Post by JPSmiles »

Not sure if i am posting pictures right.

mtbrncofn

#4 Post by mtbrncofn »

Your pics aren't coming through. Are you hosting them on another site? Image Shack works well for these things.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

NotBob1

#5 Post by NotBob1 »

I copied and pasted them. It looks like the elastic is set up for reducing a crossbite. This is what I will have shortly.

Call your Orthodontist to check and see if it is on right.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

Way Too Old For This

#6 Post by Way Too Old For This »

NotBob, I had to try to figure out what you meant by copying and pasting them....so I think I finally got it... well I don't know if this is what you did, but I can at least see them now.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6 ... cNnDFo0ctG
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6 ... cNnDFo0ctG

JpSmiles, it does look to me like that configuration will make matters worse. I would just call and see if you can stop by and ask them. They would probably rather have you do that then wear elastics wrong for a few weeks.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

MusicIsMyLife

#7 Post by MusicIsMyLife »

I wore that same configuration for a couple of months. It's to fix crossbites.
Braced Sep. 29 '05
Tongue crib inserted Oct. 6
Tongue crib removed April 5
Estimated treatment time: 20 mths