Not a good appointment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

adollface

Not a good appointment

#1 Post by adollface »

This could be a long post so bear with me. At my last appointment the ortho said "we're getting close". So when I went in on Thursday I was thinking this was going to be one of those times were I had nothing done and maybe was given a debanding date. Well no such luck. He did his usuall poking around and had me bite down. He even said my bite was looking really good and it was where he wanted it. Than he asked me "How attached are you to your wisdom teeth?" (Now keep in mind I am one of those few people who actually has room for all four of them and they are all in all the way no problem). I said "I can take em or leave em, either way". They are a pain to keep clean. He said the reason why he was asking was because the lower right one is out of line with the rest of the teeth and he gave me a mirror so I could see what he was talking about. He said I can either pull it or put a bracket on it and pull it into place. Now I'm thinking in the back of my mind, but never actually asked, which one would be faster because I just want to be done. I could tell he was having a really hard time deciding. He had the assistant take an x-ray to see where the roots were and he looked at that for a while before sitting back down. He put a bracket on it but I could tell the whole time he wasn't really sure that was what he wanted to do with it. So now two days later the back of my mouth is all torn up, I keep biting my cheek, and my jaw and ear are hurting badly. I'm thinking of calling on Monday and asking him to just pull it. I don't think he would have a problem with that since he was thinking the same thing himself. What do you guys think?

Amy
Damon 2's top and bottom
braced 12-16-04

Clo

#2 Post by Clo »

Hi Amy,

like Karen said, the bracket is much closer to your cheek back there. So
it is very normal that it sits in the way when you bite. I would give this
some more days to get better. But congrats to your ortho. When he even
tries to bring in line your third molars, then it proves he really tries to get
the best result possible. I would be more than happy, having such a
perfectionist as an ortho. Know there are other orthos out there who would
simply leave it that way, saying that no one can see it anyway. Knowing
that your ortho only tries to reach the best may make it more bearable.

Good luck !

ssfw

#3 Post by ssfw »

Hi adollface,

I know you are probably in some discomfort now with the placement of the bracket on your wisdom tooth, but I'm sure you will get use to it. With the anticipation of getting your braces off, I'm sure the news of your wisdom tooth was not good news. Ask your orthodontist how much longer you will have to wear braces if you choose not to extract the wisdom tooth. Personally, I don't like to see teeth extracted unless there is a real need. If the braces will extend the time you have to wear your braces by a few months, I would choose to keep the tooth - a few additional months in braces would not bother me. But, this is your decision.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

adollface

#4 Post by adollface »

Thanks guys. You know it's not so much the pain in my mouth that is getting to me, that I can handle, it's the pain I'm getting in my ear. Either way I'm calling my Ortho Tuesday morning. He is great and I really trust him but I can't keep going with this.

Amy
Damon 2's top and bottom
braced 12-16-04

ssfw

#5 Post by ssfw »

adollface wrote:Thanks guys. You know it's not so much the pain in my mouth that is getting to me, that I can handle, it's the pain I'm getting in my ear. Either way I'm calling my Ortho Tuesday morning. He is great and I really trust him but I can't keep going with this.

Amy
Damon 2's top and bottom
braced 12-16-04
Hi Amy,

If your ear is still hurting you, you may want to call him tonight or tomorrow morning. He may be able to relieve the pain before Tuesday. Is your orthodontist or one of the assistants from your ortho's on-call evenings and over the weekend?

Take Care.

ssfw

ssfw

#6 Post by ssfw »

adollface wrote:Thanks guys. You know it's not so much the pain in my mouth that is getting to me, that I can handle, it's the pain I'm getting in my ear. Either way I'm calling my Ortho Tuesday morning. He is great and I really trust him but I can't keep going with this.

Amy
Damon 2's top and bottom
braced 12-16-04
Hi Amy,

If your ear is still hurting you, you may want to call him tonight or tomorrow morning. He may be able to relieve the pain before Tuesday. Is your orthodontist or one of the assistants from your ortho's on-call evenings and over the weekend? Tuesday is quite a few days when you're in pain.

Take Care.

ssfw

adollface

#7 Post by adollface »

Just wanted to update you guys as to what happened with my wisdom tooth. I called this morning and told them about the pain and they said come right in. I sat in the chair and the ortho took and look. And than he freed my wisdom tooth. Pulled the bracket right off, cleaned off the glue and sent me on my way. He said it was worth a try and apologized (why I don't know since he was just trying to give me the best possible results). I agreed with him that it was worth a try. I go back in 7 weeks at which point they will evaluate me for debanding!!!!!! Hoping to have them off before my trip to Maui on July 14th. Keep your fingers crossed!

Amy
Damon 2's top and bottom
braced 12-16-04

Flora2006

#8 Post by Flora2006 »

Your ortho sounds like such a caring person!! That's really good. My ortho is the same and it makes such a difference.

I am glad to hear that there are talks about debanding. You must be so excited!

What will you do with the wisdom tooth? Will you get it extracted or keep it in? I'm glad your ortho took the bracket off so soon.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

adollface

#9 Post by adollface »

Yes, he is a wonderful ortho. We took my daughter to three different orthos and she liked mine the best so he is now working on her (she's 8 1//2). Really not sure what I am going to do with the wisdom tooth or the other three. My hygentist would love for me to have them out but she says she can't complain too loud as she has all four of her's too. I'll talk to my dentist after the braces are off and see what he thinks. They generally aren't a problem and it's not like people can see them. Like my mom says "they are there for some reason you just don't know about yet." Thanks for the concern and support.

Amy
Damon 2's top and bottom
braced 12-16-04