Grits...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Leslie022

Grits...

#1 Post by Leslie022 »

I absolutely love Grits! I live in the south, so what do you expect! My love of this food is turning into an aggravation. No matter what shape your teeth are in, grits always find somewhere to get stuck! Now that the gap in between my teeth is dramatically smaller, I am getting grits stuck in the space! Imagine how annoying it would be trying to dig the grits out with your tongue and nails because you're too lazy to get up and brush your teeth! Bah, I'm complaining but I'll probably eat them again in the morning!

Sorry, I'm bored everyone!
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Way Too Old For This

#2 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I love food, but I can say that I don't have to worry about eating grits with my braces. My Georgia friend says my problem is I have never had them prepared right.......probably so. But until I do, I can pass.

But I have a suggestion for you. Waterpik! I can't go anywhere until I've Waterpik'd.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Leslie022

#3 Post by Leslie022 »

I agree with your Georgia friend. If you can't cook 'em right, then they won't taste good!!!

Yes, the Waterpik is a wonderful thing.
Fixed bottom retainer

kirst1583

#4 Post by kirst1583 »

I had no idea what grits were so I looked them up on google. I
still don't quite get it though.
Is it similar to porridge?

Way Too Old For This

#5 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Well their name is a good description...."GRITS" Just kidding. It is kind of a porridge made of corn meal.

They are practically a staple food in the American South. Not only have I not had them prepared correctly, but I am not particularly fond of food made primarily from corn meal. I love corn, and I like cornbread sometimes, but I really don't care for hush puppies so I don't know if I will ever grow to like grits. I plan to try though when I move to that part of the country some day, which I plan to do.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Leslie022

#6 Post by Leslie022 »

Yes, grits are basically ground up corn. You boil them in water with salt and you can either have them thin with a little extra water (YUCK) or you can allow all the water to boil out and have them thick! I prefer to eat my grits with a little melted butter or cheese. Many people also like to add bacon, eggs, onions, etc. Shrimp and grits is also popular in the south and along the coast. I will warn you--If you're ever in the American South, don't expect a restaurant to be able to cook grits properly. They usually leave out the salt.
Fixed bottom retainer

Leslie022

#7 Post by Leslie022 »

Here's a link to Wikipedia. Yes it is Wikipedia but it seems to be fairly accuarate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits
Fixed bottom retainer

jcdamon3

#9 Post by jcdamon3 »

I LOVE grits. And I am not from the south. They are the best with fried eggs.

I don't eat them much anymore. I am into whole grain and don't really know if grits or polenta fit the bill. I eat whole oatmeal in the morning and it gets stuck just fine, thanks! If you really want to try something that gets stuck as well as grits tried steel cut oatmeal. OMG!

Enjoy your grits and buy an Interplak or similar device and you will be just so happy!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Leslie022

#10 Post by Leslie022 »

KK wrote:Wonderful how we can learn new things everyday on archwired.com! :banana:
I agree Karen. Many of you talk about <b>curry</b> all the time but I don't believe I've ever ate it. I don't know what it tastes like or what kind of foods I could find it in. All I know is it stains ligs and I really want to see why people seem to like it so much!!!!
Fixed bottom retainer

JumpTheDitch

#11 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Grits sound sooo good!

Australia's nice and multi-cultural (most of the time, if you ignore Sydney's effort last year :oops: ) so why don't we have grits here?

Hmmm, cue scouring Melbourne for grits.... :P

bckydgardnr

#12 Post by bckydgardnr »

Grits are wonderful if prepared correctly! They are NASTY if not cooked correctly. They have also become very "in" at resturants around the mid-atlantic states. They taste terrific with seafood!

Gardnr :D
bckydgardnr
braced 1/18/05

missing_tooth

#13 Post by missing_tooth »

Grits are like cream of wheat except made with corn. Cream of wheat can be good with a little milk a big dop of butter and sugar WITHOUT lumps. Lumps make it very very nasty. Almost impossible to make without constant stirring. I imagine grits are the same. I will say I had a supervisor who like the lumps in the cream of wheat.

yukkie

- Missing Tooth -

pedouard

#14 Post by pedouard »

I absolutely hate grits! Everyone in my family loves them except me I always say they are so gritty! haha, I don't know how to explain them. On the other hand I love cream of wheat, they are not at all similar to me.
having braces is a huge step, feel proud of yourself that you took this step to better your self!!!!!

Grin&bareit73

#15 Post by Grin&bareit73 »

You guys are all making me hungry!!

I never had grits until I moved to S. Florida. They're really good with gobs of butter and salt. Kind of similar to couscous but not as dry. I have some relatives in Georgia (country bumpkins..lol) that make a casserole called grits n greens. It's grits mixed with collard greens, cheese, bacon, etc. I have the recipe but am afraid to try it..not sure about the collard greens!!

Curry, on the other hand, is to die for!! I love it spicy. Curry chicken and goat, sounds awful but so good...(Sorry KK I know you're a veggie!)

I also love sushi, but I'm assuming the rice and seaweed may get a little tricky in the brackets as well, hmmm... :roll:
[/url]

"Smile; if you can't lift the corners, let the middle sag..."