Are wire ties just for additional movement?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

WiredNana

Are wire ties just for additional movement?

#1 Post by WiredNana »

I'm confused.....ligs..wire ties....

Are wire ties just placed on certain teeth to accelerate movement or can ligs do the same thing with the different configuations when placed on the brackets?

Have two wire ties placed on the upper two front teeth "to separate them and speed things along"....I like the look and the fact they aren't staining like the ligs on my others......But they sure do ache more!

Is it a mechanical decision or just Dr.'s preference?........
Wirednana (Deb)

nimo

#2 Post by nimo »

I had two wire ties put on my bottom teeth, and judging by the amount of pain they initially caused, I'm guessing it's for movement.
If you have metal braces you could try silver ligs. My wire ties aren't noticeable because there isn't any other color on the bottom.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

I have a canine in a crossbite position and my ortho has put a wire tie and a lig to double the force.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

decisionmade

#4 Post by decisionmade »

I've had wire ties no ligs at all for my entire treatment thus far..my ortho has never even mentioned using ligs..i'v ehad no trouble with them and great movement..
crowding, mild overjet, and crossbite
SARPE AND R.P Expander: 7-14-05
extraction : 9-15-05
Brace date: 9-29-05
Expander out! 1-12-06!!!!! after 6 long mos.
Taking them off!!! Feb 26, 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5209

Kell

#5 Post by Kell »

At my 1st adjustment the doctor told the assistant to put a wire tie on one of my top teeth. That was to help it move more. I asked her if she could put wire ties on all the top teeth so it they would all the same and she said that was just fine too.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

Geri

#6 Post by Geri »

Hi WiredNana - I've just seen this thread - I've replied to you about this in the 'wires ties rock' thread if you want to take a look. Hope you see movement soon!
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

jcdamon3

#7 Post by jcdamon3 »

I have had wire ties once on one tooth. I have damon3 which are self ligating so I don't have to deal with this much. I can tell you I found the wire tie to be quite annoying when you go to floss because the floss just gets ripped to shreds. Anyone with wire ties have this problem?
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Flora2006

#8 Post by Flora2006 »

jcdamon3 wrote: I can tell you I found the wire tie to be quite annoying when you go to floss because the floss just gets ripped to shreds. Anyone with wire ties have this problem?
My wire tie has never caused me any problems. My ortho always twists it really tight and cuts it pretty short. He then hides it really close to the bracket.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006