53 yr old Grandma getting braces - Advice?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

debrahubbs

53 yr old Grandma getting braces - Advice?

#1 Post by debrahubbs »

It's finally MY turn - after raising 5 sons, 2 daughters & 2 step-daughters - it's my turn! My 17 grandchildren are really amazed that Grandma Debbie is getting braces!

I determined this is my year to improve myself. I'm exercising, losing weight and I'm getting braces on April 18th. I've done the spacers (they hurt!), my molars have the metal bands around them (the metal things sticking out are tearing up my inner mouth) and on Tuesday, the rest will go on.

Any advice?
Grandma Debbie
53 yrs old - getting braces!? Crazy?

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

Congratulations on this great decision! You will not regret it. My best advice is visit the board for support!

Congrats too on the weight loss and exercise! I bet you feel terrrific!

For your mouth issues, use lots of wax, and salt water rinses. This too shall pass as they say, but try to stay as comfortable as possible while your mouth gets used to all this new exciting stuff going on.

Get an interplak type device to rinse out the food between meals. I have found this to be the most helpful thing that I own. I also bought a really good toothbrush (Sonicare) but the interplak is by far the most valuable thing that I own.

Also, get some Superfloss or Crest Glider Threader floss. This is also something I use every single day and couldn't live without.

The Sonicare is great to have - the interplak and floss you would have to fight me if you wanted to take it away.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

HeadgearJoe

Re: 53 yr old Grandma getting braces - Advice?

#3 Post by HeadgearJoe »

debrahubbs wrote:It's finally MY turn - after raising 5 sons, 2 daughters & 2 step-daughters - it's my turn! My 17 grandchildren are really amazed that Grandma Debbie is getting braces!

I determined this is my year to improve myself. I'm exercising, losing weight and I'm getting braces on April 18th. I've done the spacers (they hurt!), my molars have the metal bands around them (the metal things sticking out are tearing up my inner mouth) and on Tuesday, the rest will go on.

Any advice?
hi grandma, i'm a grandpa at 48 an i'm going through it now , it's like anything else it has it good an bad , an at the end it will be all worth every thousand dollar you sent , congrats an welcome . headgearjoe
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

Pirate Wench

#4 Post by Pirate Wench »

:-88 Congrats on making the decision to better yourself as you see fit. After all those kids and grandkids it is definately your turn :wink:

I am new to this game too. I am just starting the process. I will get the impressions of my teeth on next Thursday.

Have fun.....

jennielee81

#5 Post by jennielee81 »

Welcome and CONGRATULATIONS on your decision!!

I concur with all the advice given by dcdamon3 and headgearjoe. You are in "good hands" here.

The time will seem to go VERY slowly and then...all of a sudden....it will be a year. :shock:

Glad to have you here, enjoy the site and let us know your progress. Oh Ya! We love pictures of teeth here, if you've got 'em SHARE!! :D
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

debrahubbs

#6 Post by debrahubbs »

Thanks everyone. Your welcome and advice is appreciated! The archwired web site has great info.
Grandma Debbie
53 yrs old - getting braces!? Crazy?

Way Too Old For This

#7 Post by Way Too Old For This »

G. Deb, You are NOT crazy, and I know EXACTLY how you feel! Well not exactly, I haven't raised that many kids, only 2, and I don't have grandkids :cry:

But I do know about making the decision to think about ME for a change. I decided after a bad couple of years to get healthy and do something about the things I don't like about myself. I've gone from a handful of medications a day to just one, started losing weight.....(sort of stalled at the moment), but the thing that bothered me most was my teeth.

Good luck on your journey. Glad you found this website, it will be very helpful to you I'm sure, as it has been for me. As Jen said, we LOVE mouth pictures. In fact we might be the only people you meet that will actually like to see your mouth pictures or get excited about a new wire, etc! Even my daughter (26) who got braced about the same time as me can't get excited about the whole thing. I think the process is amazing!

Believe it or not, (I didn't) but your cheeks WILL get used to the pokeys. You'll get new sores once in a while, but all in all the mouth gets pretty tough. If you do get something poking that is just wrong, call your ortho, and they should be happy to try to help fix the problem.

JCDamon is right about the interplak thing. I have a Waterpik and can't live without it right now. Even after flossing that thing gets out more stuff. Its kind of like a pressure washer for the mouth!
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

ingyandbert

#8 Post by ingyandbert »

Just know the first 3 days are the worst. Your teeth are going to be really sore and sensitive and you'll have to re-learn how to do things like eat and brush. My first day, I couldn't imagine eating normal food with my braces on. I thought I'd never eat a sandwich again until they were off. Surprise, surprise, within a few weeks I was biting into crusty bread like there was no tomorrow.

My advice is to consider the experience to be an adventure. By the end of the first month, you'll already see visible changes. A little progress is a great motivator. But until you see some progress, time seems to crawl.

BTW, GO GRANDMA!!!!!

Lin

#9 Post by Lin »

Good for you!! It most certainly is your turn, and it sounds beyond well-deserved.

My advice is to be patient... the sensations may be awkward, annoying, and/or painful at first, but if you are like most folks, I think you will discover that you get used to it all very quickly.

Another tip... develop your own oral hygiene/braces care routines. For instance, I brush every morning and night with a soft-bristled toothbrush and an interdental brush (which kind of looks like a tiny pipe cleaner, but it can clean tricky spots, such as beneath my wires). I also rinse as needed with warm saltwater (to heal abrasions and sores) or Peroxyl (an antiseptic wash). I floss regularly, using "threaders" to thread the floss behind my wires.

Use plenty of wax where wires or brackets irritate the inside of your mouth. If your metal molar bands are slicing up your tongue (I'm not sure if this is what you meant by "inner mouth," or if you meant your inner cheeks) and if the sensations don't seem to be getting better soon, talk to your orthodontist about it. Often, they are able to grind the sharp inner edges (cleats) down or find other fixes to help that.

For the day you get your braces on (and on adjustment days down the road), you might find it helpful to take a dose of aspirin or something akin to that before going in. I have found that it helps me adjust to the soreness of times like that. Also, you might want to take lip balm with you when you get your braces on... in case the lip spreaders they use to bare your teeth (while cementing brackets on) dry your lips out too much!

Most of all... never be afraid to ask your orthodontist questions... or the ArchWired community! If you have problems that come up, chances are that someone here will have experienced something similar and have advice for you. I think the people here are fantastic.

Hope this helps :)

Welcome and CONGRATS on starting your journey!!!! And best of luck Tuesday!
-- Lin | Braced on 1/31/06 | 5 extractions + Canine Exposed 4/19/06

WiredNana

#10 Post by WiredNana »

[quote="debrahubbs"]It's finally MY turn - after raising 5 sons, 2 daughters & 2 step-daughters - it's my turn! My 17 grandchildren are really amazed that Grandma Debbie is getting braces![/i]

YEAH!!...Another Grandma Debbie!....Congrats on your ME time....I perfectly relate to your decision....
my kids couldn't understand why I was doing this("You're teeth aren't that bad!") and my 5yr. old granddaughter thinks it's just jewlery for Nana's teeth!.....
the first 3 weeks for me were the hardest...I could only eat soft foods and the aching was constant....it's been 7 weeks and I have seen drastic movement and straight lower teeth for the first time in my life......This is all very worth the discomfort.....

BTW- I'm 52 and I'll still be braced for my daughters wedding this fall, but it won't bother me in the least..... braces as an adult only means not really caring what others think......plus it's Open BAR!.....
Wirednana (Deb)

Way Too Old For This

#11 Post by Way Too Old For This »

WiredNana wrote:BTW- I'm 52 and I'll still be braced for my daughters wedding this fall, but it won't bother me in the least..... braces as an adult only means not really caring what others think......plus it's Open BAR!.....
Good for you! I'm glad that you aren't worrying about being Mother of the Bride with your braces. My daughter just became engaged and is talking wedding in about a year. Both of us have braces. She isn't as concerned as I am. Although she might be close to getting hers off....I won't. However, our orthodontist told us he will take off the top 6 brackets and put them back on after the wedding....only $50! Not bad. He is so nice.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

presencia

Grandmas in braces

#12 Post by presencia »

So glad to hear of another grandma in braces! I totally relate to what you said about it being your turn now. I get a few strange looks and comments every now and then, but it doesn't bother me. I am happy with my decision to do this for me.

All three of my children had braces, as did my husband. All I got at the time was a bite plane to deal with tmj. We did not think we could come up with the money for me in braces then, but I truly did not mind taking care of them first.

My kids (all married now) and husband have been very supportive, but my greatest fan is my 4 year old granddaughter who loves to look at the brackets and touch them. I guess only another grandma could relate to letting a 4 year old poke around in your mouth!

I have probably paid a price for waiting(some tooth cracking due to uneven wear) but I am sure it will all come right in the end. I started in Feb '06 and have already seen lots of movement. The sense of progress goes a long way toward minimizing some of the aggravation and discomfort. (I have a nance which w/o wax cuts my tongue and a few linguals lacd up with the dreaded power thread). But all in all, not a bad experience so far. Two months down, 16 to go. I figure my new grandchild who isn't even born yet will be walking when they come off... :lol:

I am still trying to figure out how to do the cool graphics I see on other posts, sorry this looks a little plain w/o all that.

donnamac

#13 Post by donnamac »

Advice? GO FOR IT!!! I'm a 58 year old grandmother going into my 8th month of braces. It really hasn't been that bad. The worst part for me was getting braced soon after osseous surgery. That was probably not the best thing I've ever done, but I'm happy now that I went on and got started. My ortho has been very pleased with my progress.

Way Too Old for This: I have a wedding in July, my son's, and I have not given a thought to the fact that I will be in braces. Just a way to preserve the memory of braces in all those wedding photos.... :lol:

donnamac

#14 Post by donnamac »

Advice? GO FOR IT!!! I'm a 58 year old grandmother going into my 8th month of braces. It really hasn't been that bad. The worst part for me was getting braced soon after osseous surgery. That was probably not the best thing I've ever done, but I'm happy now that I went on and got started. My ortho has been very pleased with my progress.

Way Too Old for This: I have a wedding in July, my son's, and I have not given a thought to the fact that I will be in braces. Just a way to preserve the memory of braces in all those wedding photos.... :lol:

donnamac

#15 Post by donnamac »

:shock:
OOOOOOOOOOPS....sorry about that double post! :oops: