Cleaning clear ligatures?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Reechards

Cleaning clear ligatures?

#1 Post by Reechards »

I have ceramic braces and often get clear bands since I hate the colored onces. Obviously by my next appointment, they have the yellowish stain and look crappy. Is there anyway you can clean the ligs? Please don't give me prevention tips. I've tried everything. I'd just like to know how to clean them after they have already stained. Thanks!

Michal

#2 Post by Michal »

I have ceramics with clear ligs too. You're pretty much up a creek on cleaning them once they are stained. I brush very often, but they still stain over the 4 weeks until I get them changed. I just avoid things that stain heavily. Sorry I'm not much help.

3M Clarity up front, rest metal--20 Jan 2006
Debraced 20 Apr 2007, 15 months total in Braces

Dark_angel

#3 Post by Dark_angel »

I have a clear powerchain along my bottom teeth and i think once they've stained they cant be brought back to normal colour.

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

I agree, once the lig stains, you can't really clean it. Sorry.

Like KK said, consider wire ties. I have one to apply more pressure and it doesn't stain at all. It's also very discreet.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Kell

#5 Post by Kell »

I recommend the silver wire ties as well. The wire is really thin and silver like the archwire so it's very discreet. I only had clear ligs the first 6 weeks and they weren't stained much but they were still more noticeable than the wire ties.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

jennielee81

#6 Post by jennielee81 »

I remember about a year ago (boy does time fly!) There being a long thread about this. Then the board crashed and all was lost...what I remember is:

the "smoke" colored ligs were the favorite for not staining and for being discreet.

I don't have ligs so I can't give 1st hand advice... :wink:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Flora2006

#7 Post by Flora2006 »

I agree, the smoke ones are good.

I have also had light silver and they were good. They only stained when I was drinking like 3 coffees a day for a while.

Right now I have white ligs and I love them. They haven't stained at all yet.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Bianca

#8 Post by Bianca »

I was getting the smoke colored ligs for the past couple months, but since I refused to give up coffee and tea they would end up turning a dingy brownish color.

This last time I went with silver ligs... I really like them, although they are kinda annoying as a powerchain. The connecting portions between brackets can shine in the light...

But I still prefer 'em to smoke colored, just cuz a shine of silver definitely beats the dingy brown color of stained ligs.

:)

It's a two year process.......