Trouble eating...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbis4life

Trouble eating...

#1 Post by bbis4life »

Hey all I'm new here,

I just got my brace yesterday however I'm already having problems. The problem is i can't eat, anything hard i can't eat at all, anything moderate i have to chew very slowly and anything soft i still eat slowly. Everyone knows that eating slowly causes you to be full more easily and this causes you to eat less, well this is torture because I'am an ectomorph bodybuilder. Ectomorph's have very fast metabolisms and i have been underweight nearly all my life, bodybuilding means i have to eat a lot to reach a normal weight and to feel happy with myself, a skinny male is a serious turn off (Right, girls?)
I feel really ill because i normally eat around 3500 calories a day but the last day and today i have barely got 1,000 calories, i feel sick and hungry at the same time and this intense hunger is causing problems in my sleep. I'm woried i'm going to go anorexic...

Any advice here people? The brace hurts and i heard the pain will go away soon is this true? Does anyone else have problems eating with there brace? HEELLLPPPPP I'm really worried... and i'm too embarassed to go see my dentist.

Thanks, BBIS4LIFE

Dark_angel

#2 Post by Dark_angel »

Dont worry, its ok. The day after I had by brace put on i couldnt bite into or chew toast or a sandwich but after a week or so i could chew and bite anything i liked. It will only last a few days in the mean time why dont you try a meal replacement drink such as slimfast or you could make smoothies and eat things like mashed potatoes, soup actually there is a list on www.archwired.com try doing a search for soft foods there.

Dark_angel

#3 Post by Dark_angel »

bbis4life

#4 Post by bbis4life »

Thanks, thats a relief knowing the pain of eating should go away. I'll probably chug down protein shakes, soup and wheatabix for time being.

blondie111

#5 Post by blondie111 »

I totally agree with the others that have left messages here. I have been braced for 3 days, and this is the first time I could actually eat bread! My mouth has been very sore, and the torture is all the Easter candy there is around the office today! I can't eat any of it! :cry:

The soreness will go away. I have noticed in 3 days it is much better, although I still can't eat whatever I want. This is normal. Your mouth is adjusting to the new "tennant's" in your mouth!

That link is a good one to give suggestions on what to eat. I too have been blending a lot of fruits and doing smoothies and shakes, and Manwich is my new best friend... it will only get better from here!!!

I'm 32 and will be in braces for almost 2 years!

Flora2006

#6 Post by Flora2006 »

Like it was said, the pain will go away soon. It's like that for a few days.

You will be eating before you even realize! Gets lots of smoothies...they are healthy and delicious.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

missingu

#7 Post by missingu »

What about getting nutrition from protein drinks/Boost/etc. Especially if you are used to 3,500 calories, dropping to 1,000 is going to wreak havoc on your body.

I don't recommend becoming reliant on supplement drinks, but for now, they might help you get some nutrition in.

I agree on allowing some time, but I hope you can take care of yourself in the interim.

ingyandbert

#8 Post by ingyandbert »

Relax, it's only going to be temporary. In the meantime, I'd suggest throwing your food in a blender to soften it. May not be the most appetizing thing, but at least you'd get adequate calories and nutrition.

And by the way, I'm a female ectomorph and I've always preferred skinny guys. I think it's a stereotype that women prefer beefy guys. Vive l'ectomorphs!

gypsyinamorata

#9 Post by gypsyinamorata »

What about after your adjustments? Is it just as bad as when you first get them on? I have my first adjustment in 4 weeks and I don't want to lose too much weight - I'm very slender and I'm wondering if it's hard to eat for a week every time they are adjusted?

Flora2006

#10 Post by Flora2006 »

gypsyinamorata wrote:What about after your adjustments? Is it just as bad as when you first get them on? I have my first adjustment in 4 weeks and I don't want to lose too much weight - I'm very slender and I'm wondering if it's hard to eat for a week every time they are adjusted?

It's never as bad as the time you get your braces on for the first time. It depends for everyone but from my experience, I was able to eat after my 1st adjustment.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

gypsyinamorata

#11 Post by gypsyinamorata »

I had my first adjustment a few weeks ago and my teeth didn't hurt at all. Thank goodness - they hurt like crazy when they first got put on!!!

Gennel

#12 Post by Gennel »

My daughter just got braces 8 days ago and she is totally pain free now. She was in pain for 5 days but she was on ibuprofen so she described it more like " It feels tight and sore" She just started eating foods like chicken and mashed potatoes. You can get plenty of calories from those protein shakes that bodybuilders drink. They are like 2,000 calories each

Gennel