Sore Molars

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ashantia

Sore Molars

#1 Post by ashantia »

Hi All-

I have been braced for a little under 2 weeks. I just got my spacers off on Monday and the molar bands put on. When I had the spacers in, the right side hurt a lot more so the little chewing I could do, I had to do on my left side.

Now with the bands on I cannot chew on the left side. I have an aching pain on the inside of the top molar so biting down is impossible. If I use my finger and push that same spot I feel the pain. If I am not chewing or anything I dont really feel anything. Is this normal? I am curious because it is a different pain from anything else going on in my mouth. I am still a little tender but mostly just my front teeth (it still feel like my teeth might pop out of my head if I bite into a sandwhich with my front teeth).

I asked my roommate who had braces and she said she didnt remember that kind of pain in her molars. I dont want to be one of those worriers but I dont want to sound like an idiot calling my ortho so soon if this is normal.

Thanks All!!!
Tia

Dark_angel

#2 Post by Dark_angel »

Just call your ortho it is possible you may have some food lodged there thats causing the pain and irritation.

My molars did get a little tender and at times i havent been able to eat but i'd call up and ask. Only your ortho will know.

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

Sounds normal to me. People who had braces in the past don't always remember the details of their discomfort and everyone's experience is different. Call and ask the ortho if you are unsure. Being a newbie in braces I think they expect the calls.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

true_jaat

#4 Post by true_jaat »

I am still a little tender but mostly just my front teeth (it still feel like my teeth might pop out of my head if I bite into a sandwhich with my front teeth).
Same thing happened to me and I can fully understand what you mean. Almost all my front teeth were very very loose for the first two weeks of braces but after a while it was fine.
The future depends on what we do in the present.

Way Too Old For This

#5 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Sounds normal to me. I have had some teeth that were so tender I thought for sure there was something else going on like a cavity or something. Especially the teeth that are being rotated.

However, I would certainly bring it up to your Ortho to make sure.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

ingyandbert

#6 Post by ingyandbert »

Yes, it's entirely normal. I've had the same experience off and on depending on which teeth are moving. When molars or premolars are moving, I definitely feel those same sensations. Don't let it freak you out. It will stop in time.

jcdamon3

#7 Post by jcdamon3 »

I just had my 2nd molars hooked up to my archwire and I have a significant amount of pain too. I was almost ready to call the dentist because I was really worried. Mostly I was worried because the tooth that is hurting has a cap on it and I am worried about the root having issues. But I put it off for a few days and now the pain is slowly going away. I think for sure if it is only hurting when you exert pressure on it - it is fine. I would wait a few days. If the pain keeps getting worse and worse, then call. If it is getting slowly better, it is probably normal.

Calling never hurts either way. But whenever I "call" my dentist he wants me to come in and so he can take a look, this way he can bill the insurance :-)

Oh, the teeth there are also making that spooky cracking noise!

Jean
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

ashantia

#8 Post by ashantia »

Thanks all!!! I feel a bit at ease that it doesnt seem to be getting worse. I will try and chew on it to see if its getting better though. If not, I will call him on Monday.

Chris

#9 Post by Chris »

ashantia wrote:Thanks all!!! I feel a bit at ease that it doesnt seem to be getting worse. I will try and chew on it to see if its getting better though. If not, I will call him on Monday.
I try to avoid chewing on the side where the tooth hurts real bad, give it a rest :wink: My upper back molar hurt so much that I thought I was going to end up with a root canal...BUT, it went away! :BigGrin:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007