How do elastics actually work?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LoobyLou

How do elastics actually work?

#1 Post by LoobyLou »

Hey all

I have just had elastics fitted from top front to lower back teeth and, I may sound a bit daft for asking, I'm not entirely sure what they will do. My ortho told me that they'll bring my bottom teeth forward (I have a fairly deep overbite) but all I can feel is them pulling my jaw forward. Is this what he means and if so how will this make my bite any better as when my jaw comes forward my back teeth don't meet!!!

Can anyone explain (or do you have any pics) how they work?

Thanks!

Love LoobyLou xx
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

Iceolated

Re: How do elastics actually work?

#2 Post by Iceolated »

LoobyLou wrote:Can anyone explain (or do you have any pics) how they work?
From the http://www.orthodontics.org/faqbrace.htm website

Rubber bands or elastics contribute a lot to straighter teeth. They are marvels of physics. Attached to your braces, elastics exert the force that creates the right amount of pressure to move teeth in directions that the braces alone can't. It's important to wear your elastics as prescribed and change them every day so the force is constant which the teeth like. A lack of consistency in wearing rubber bands can bring treatment to a standstill and who wants to do that to themselves. Teeth never fail to move when elastics are worn consistently as directed. As for bouncing an elastic off someone across the room, it will happen (don't worry, your aim will improve).

Perhaps your ortho can explain it in some more detail.

Cheers,

Ice.

Metal uppers May 2, 2006
Metal lowers September 12, 2006
Finally Nekkid July 11, 2007

With braces - pain is gain...

Some things money can't buy.
Thank God great looking teeth aren't one of them.

“But to see her was to love her, Love but her, and love foreverâ€

Dark_angel

#3 Post by Dark_angel »

I have elastics from the upper left 3 and right 3 going to my lower 2nd from back on each side. It sounds like a similar configuration to yours. Its to move my canines back so my overject can be reduced. Do a search for class II elastics on google or somewhere.

Elastics work by providing a slight but constant force to move the teeth.

shaynesgirl

#4 Post by shaynesgirl »

Thanks for the link Iceolated! I was wondering about LoobyLou's question myself, as I have been told I will require elastics at a later stage of treatment (I have an overbite) :D
35 yr-old mother of 2
Braced 5/4/06
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers