Why Are Orthos So Un-Communicative? Any Orthos Here?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ingyandbert

Why Are Orthos So Un-Communicative? Any Orthos Here?

#1 Post by ingyandbert »

I read the posts here and it strikes me how many of the topics and responses deal with questions that an ortho should have explained to the patient. My own experience is that my orthos don't tell me ANYTHING unless I ask, and it appears to be the same story with most others here. Personally, I don't let my orthos off the hook. I make them answer all my questions. After all, I am a partner in my own treatment. It seems like many orthos expect patients to come in, open their mouths for an adjustment, and then leave with no more information than when they came in.

All I can say is that is so wrong! We're people, not cars in the shop for a tune-up. Is it asking too much to take a whole 5 minutes to explain their treatment plan up front -- and then tell the patients on follow up appointments where they are in terms of progress? At the end of the day, it might mean the ortho sees exactly one less patient. To what extent is patient management and education worth making a few less dollars that day?

If there are any orthos lurking here, now is your chance to explain this tendency. Or maybe your chance to learn how frustrating and unfair it is to your patients.

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

I've definitely noticed a lot of posts here that say their ortho isn't communicative and it really is unfortunate.

I wish a lot of people here had my ortho because he's such a sweet, caring person. He knows I don't want to know the details of anything so he always just tells me a little bit...enough to know what he's doing but not all the details. And he always always says "this is going to be nice, relaxed, and comfortable..." lol. I love it. Even though it's not really true...who really is relaxed and comfortable having someones else's hands in your mouth?!?! It's still a nice try into comforting me!

He does everything, no assistants so he really spends a lot of time just talking to me about my treatment and other things. He always tells me to call if i have any questions...

So yeah, I guess the consultation is really important because that is when you see how your ortho is...

My advice is to ask TONS of questions at the consult and to observe body language and facial expressions. Watch how he answers questions...he might be explaining and answering your question well...but his body language and face might show impatience or annoyance...so really take time to observe the ortho before you choose him/her as the person to do your braces...

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

JoeMama

#3 Post by JoeMama »

ingyandbert I sooooo agree with you! What's the deal?! And why do orthos tend to get so defensive when they are asked? I would love to know, because I too feel like we're paying them to do a job for us, a job that involves our bodies. We have the right to ask questions! We have the right to know what their plan is. Other than beautiful straight teeth of course...

I had a similar experience. I trust my ortho but I still want to know what's going on and what will happen next. Not because I doubt her, just because I'm curious or even excited. When I went in for my first adjustment (check-in), I asked a couple questions and I could tell she was getting upset about it. I used the old compliment trick to smooth it out, but I don't understand what the big deal is. Professional adults have to answer questions about what they're doing all the time, why would orthos be the exception?
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

Betty Bat

#4 Post by Betty Bat »

I don't have an answer for this, but I was just wondering if you think your ortho is more or less communicative than any of the other doctors and/or dentists that you go to?

ingyandbert

#5 Post by ingyandbert »

Yes, I do, actually. I've been going to the same dentist and doctors for many years and they are good about explaining things and then answering my questions. I've noticed the ortho I use doesn't seem used to spending much time on patient education, probably because his office deals mostly with kids (although you'd think the parents would want to know). The otho is starting to realize that he's going to have to explain things to me on each visit because I do want to know what adjustments we are making and why, what to expect next, and where we are in the grand scheme of things. I think every patient is owed that information.

LoobyLou

#6 Post by LoobyLou »

I'm definitely one of those people who posts on here about how un-communicative my ortho is.

I really wonder why this is. Perhaps it's because they have been orthos for many years and have explained it all so many times they can't be bothered any more. Even if this is the case they should realise that this is all new to us and we actually want to know what's going on in our mouths!

Sigh :roll:
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

missingu

#7 Post by missingu »

Agreed.

Teigyr

#8 Post by Teigyr »

Somebody said ages ago that perhaps it is to do with the fact that orthodontists traditionally worked with children. I think it is turning where more and more adults are getting braces (perhaps the long-term effects of braces as children? Retainers weren't worn long enough or something.) and the client demographic is changing. Children rarely ask questions about treatment and perhaps the parents don't ask that much either. The ones I see in the waiting room (parents, not children) seem rushed and immersed in their own lives.

Also, it seems like orthodontia is an analytical skill. It's almost like architecture where you see the final result and build to get it to where it needs to be. Maybe the type of person who is attracted to that type of profession is of a different personality type.

Of course, I could be analyzing to death!!! But I bet for a lot of orthodontists, this new trend of having adults as patients might be different.

Jane

ssfw

#9 Post by ssfw »

I agree with Flora2006 and KK's posts. When you have your appointment for your consultation, you need to get a feel of how your orthodontist (same with any medical profession) works. I like to know what to expect with medical treatment so I always ask questions and I did when I went for my orthodontic consultation. He was more than happy to answer all of my questions and explain things to me. I even thought of some questions twice after the consultation and called him. He returned both of my calls and was more than happy to answer my questions. I had more questions during the first few appointments after my consultation and now I usually only have questions regarding progress and what to expect at my next appointment. There are two orthodontists at my office and they are both great - always happy to answer questions, kind and have great skill. Their assistants and support staff are wonderful too. I can't ask for much more. I went to 4 consultations and I knew there were 2 that I would not choose to be my orthodontist. I know what my needs are which include skill, good personality and good communication skills. I think I am having a smooth transition to having orthodontic treatment because of the great communication I have with my orthodontist.

But, there are many people as in Flora2006 that don't want to know detail and her orthodontist gives her a summary of her ortho treatment and she's fine with that. If a patient/parent ask questions then the orthodontist should answer their questions or if you don't know what questions to ask just ask them to explain in detail what they are going to do or expect at future appts. If you are one of these patients that don't want to know detail you can also tell him/her that.

I do feel both patient and the orthodontist need to have good communication in order to have everyone be happy. Let's not forget there are orthos that do not have good communication skills - hopefully you would have sensed this during the consultation, if not, then you need to share your concerns with your orthodontist. As a patient, you have the right to know what to expect during your ortho treatment.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

ingyandbert

#10 Post by ingyandbert »

I agree that people should pay careful attention to the ortho's communication style during the consultation. And, as I stated, I ask questions at every visit and expect my ortho to answer them appropriately. But my point is that there are a very high number of posts on this board wherein the patient is asking questions that the ortho should have discussed with them -- and often about things the patient shouldn't even have to ask about. Most of us here have already begun treatment, so the issue of the initial consult is moot. It just strikes me over the months I've been on this board how many people have indicated their ortho is not adequately communicating with them.

Bracefaced

#11 Post by Bracefaced »

Great Topic!
I was dooped at my consultation.
Everything went great with the ortho that "investigated" my mouth :lol:. He was the nicest person ever, answered all my questions, ect...

Come day of treatment, the head orthodontist is the one treating me and he is completely backwards: didnt speak to me, answered some of my remaining questions with a yes/no type of response, and then he just worked away. I tried being switched to the original doctor, but once the main ortho touched my mouth, he was the only ortho to touch my mouth.
He's probably the best at what he does, but the worst communicator ever.

I actually take my questions regarding orthodontic treatment to my dentist, the greatest dentist I have ever known. He's also an ortho and unfortunately I didnt know that until he saw me bracefaced and kind of had a sad look on his face that he wasnt the one who I went to :/

ingyandbert

#12 Post by ingyandbert »

I would seriously consider switching if I were you!

Flora2006

#13 Post by Flora2006 »

ingyandbert wrote:I would seriously consider switching if I were you!
I agree. Why don't you switch to your dentist? You started not that long ago so I don't think you will lose that much money...and who knows, if you explain the situation to your dentist, he may give you a deal.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

alexa

#14 Post by alexa »

JoeMama wrote:And why do orthos tend to get so defensive when they are asked?
Now that's the magic question that I want answered!

I remember at one appointment, I simply asked what the elastic configuration in my mouth was doing to help, because the visible results were not apparent to me, and my ortho had a cow. She went on and on about how much better my teeth looked and how much progress I had made. How she was happy with the way things were turning out and then dragged out my original consult photos and xrays and brought assistants over to tell me how good everything is.

I replied, "I didn't say I had a problem with your work. I think I have made good progress too. I just wanted to know what the elastics do..."

Since then she tries to run off to the next chair before I have a chance to ask her anything. It's really frustrating to be treated this way. I know that she's a nice person, and I think she's a good ortho...I just want to know what is so bad about me asking about my elastics, or wire sizes or progress? Why can't she just answer the questions? I wouldn't give her a hard time if she just kept me aprised of the situation...

:?
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

WiredNana

#15 Post by WiredNana »

Alot of the decision on chosing the Ortho. that I did, was based on my Dentist and other former patient recommandations.....Dentist and Ortho. are in same clinic and that was handy due to the fact I was to do abit of 'chair hopping' to replace crowns so brackets would hold and such......

I have to admit that I like the Assistants much better that my Ortho.....they have gone out of their way to explain everything in advance and even before I ask......the Ortho. seemed to turn off to me at the consultation when I made it known of my dental past and fears....she just looked at me like "Great!!!..another whiner....." but the fact that I love my Dentist and she came highly recommended was the factor for my decision.......

Now, I happen to work with Pathologists.....and I can tell you that these are people with communication problems!!!!!!.....
Wirednana (Deb)