molar bands?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

trequ

molar bands?

#1 Post by trequ »

So i've had my top braces on for about a week and im starting to wonder what the molar bands are for. i have 2 on each side of my top teeth and 1 on each side of the bottom. the 2 extra ones i guess on the top, they are like sticking out on the inside of my teeth. Now im wondering what is the point of this?? it seems like random metal that im scratching my tounge on.

sorry if this doesnt make a lot of sence, just ask me if your unclear about what im trying to say.

trequ

#2 Post by trequ »

mmm im not sure if its the cleats that are bothering me but heres a pic for reference. as u can see they arent small like the other cleats so im not sure what they're for

JumpTheDitch

#3 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Y'know, I've seen that pic a couple of times now, and only just noticed that my molar bands are different. ( :oops: ) Does everyone else's archwire go into their buccal tubes? (Everyone who has molar bands that is!)

The molar bands on my first molars have the buccal tubes with the hook like in Meryaten's pic, but then has two other smaller holes sort of flat against the band. The archwire goes into one of these smaller holes (with only one archwire, only one of the smaller holes is being used; I wonder what the second smaller hole is for. :? Anyone?).

The second set of bands on my second molars only have one hole for the archwire, plus the hook which sticks out almost horizontally; no buccal tubes.

Just curious, are other people's molar bands like mine or like the pic? :?:

JumpTheDitch

#4 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I'm curious about these bands now.

Anyone??

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

Okay made me look.

Mine looks just like the one Meryaten pictured. There are not too holes for the archwire to go into, just one. I have other molar brackets that are not on bands that have bucal type tubes in them as well.

Trequ I don't know what type of bracket you have there but my sympathies go out. I have never seen one like that.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

trequ

#6 Post by trequ »

I go back to the ortho on the 5th. I'll be sure to ask whats the point in them then. Till then I guess I'll just sit and wonder what they're for

trequ

#7 Post by trequ »

i hardly notice them at all now, im just really curious as to what they are for

celiviel

#8 Post by celiviel »

JumpTheDitch, mine are kind of like what you describe. My upper molar bands have the buccal tube, but the archwire goes into a separate hole that's more flat against the bag. My lower bands have no buccal tube, but there's a little post that sticks out, I'm guessing for elastics.

KJM

#9 Post by KJM »

My molar bands have cleats on the inside as well, for my new ( horrible) elastics. :( They hook on the inside cleats on top to the bottom outside hook. ( for crossbite issues)

Mine only hurt for a couple days and I didnt notice them after, until yesterday when they opened them up more and they are totally scratching my tounge ( they had to open them more to get the elastic to hook on them) Bbooooo! :evil: I think it will take a couple of days for me to adjust to them.

Here is a pic of mine ( sorry its not the best pic but you get the idea)
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

Dark_angel

#10 Post by Dark_angel »

I think one of my molar bands is loose :( it feels funny when i yawn or open my mouth wide with elastics in. I hope it lasts untill my next adjustment.

susieq182

#11 Post by susieq182 »

I have molar bands like the ones in the pic (trequ) and that is what my fixed bite plate is hooked to. I agree they are impliments of torture. I am hoping when I get my bite plate out that they will cut the cleats off, but I have a sinking feeling that I will be getting more elastics to work on my cross bite and from what I read here that is where they may be hooked. The outside of the bands has 2 tubes my wire goes through the lower one and food hides out in the upper one. there are pics on my blog.
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07