Extractions = face shape change?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mogwai

Extractions = face shape change?

#1 Post by mogwai »

So I was reading stuff about braces ont he web and came accross this:

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/sixt ... ry_918.asp

Has anyone with teeth extractions noticed the shape of their face change? As in get longer and thinner, and :o less attractive?

Ive had 4 teeth extracted so just curious.. (though I got a round face, so longer and thinner is good! :lol: )

mogwai

#2 Post by mogwai »

Btw I know it reads as tongue in cheek :? but I checked out the web site of one these orthos, and it pretty much says something similar...

ebjones1

#3 Post by ebjones1 »

I actually like the way my face has changed, and in only over two months! My face has thinned out quite a bit, but it's definitely for the better. My mom said I don't look as "baby-ish" anymore.. my cheekbones and jawline are more defined now, which is good for me.

ebjones1

#4 Post by ebjones1 »

I had 5 extractions, BTW.. four premolars and one baby. not to mention all four wisdoms..

poloaa

#5 Post by poloaa »

I have not been braced yet, but i have heard of people saying that too, but they look prettier indeed.

payoki

yeah..

#6 Post by payoki »

I didn't have any extraction but still my cheeks are noticebly sunken, people have made comments about it. I look older, thinner I hope my face returns back to before the brace.
mother of one.

mogwai

#7 Post by mogwai »

ahh wish I could have seen the twin stuff

one of these guys is actually my ortho, and I had 4 extractions!! :cry: But he told me I had quite big teeth and in fact hes planning on shaving down some of the front ones! :shock:

I think I will quiz him further on this when I see him next week.. :twisted:

noppi

Hmmm...

#8 Post by noppi »

I was wondering about how the extractions will change my face. But what's interesting is that I think the braces have made me thinner so I think my face has kind of changed because of that. I just got extractions last week, but I am a little bucky so the ortho wanted to push my teeth back. No room to push my teeth back if I didn't get extractions. I would like more prominent cheekbones, but it sounds like the transcript was saying if you extract, your face will be more sunken and flat right? I'm sure it depends on what your personal situation was though don't you think? One of my concerns was that I would lose some of my luscious lips. :D Ortho said that if I have lips when I don't smile, then those are my natural lips and my lips aren't full because of my teeth pushing out on them...hmmmmmmmmmm I guess we'll see!!
11/11/05~8 Spacers
11/21/05~Spacers off, 8 metal bands
01/13/06~Braces
04/13/06~4 extract
04/18/06~1st adjust after extract

Joanna20

#9 Post by Joanna20 »

I've had my second molars extracted and I haven't noticed anything happening to my face yet really. Maybe it will when I have them on.
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February