Erosion and braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Laqia

Erosion and braces

#1 Post by Laqia »

Okay,when I went to see the orthadentist almost a month back I was told I had some dental erosion and to stop drinking Coke or anything of the sort because in his words "You would have stains where the braces were". I was fine with that, started a flouride treatment and started to drink milk,water & on the slight occassion still flavoured water I'm aware that contains some acid.

My teeth are slightly discoloured and I'm worried that the treatment wont followthrough due to that. My dentist never mentioned to me that I had some dental erosion.

So basically I'm bricking it - will the braces still go on or what?

Sorry the post isnt too well structured.

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

I can't say about whether the braces will go on as scheduled or not, but I know that my son drinks sodas and doesn't brush regularly(he's 20...can't tell him ANYTHING!).

His dentist told him to brush 3 times a day with a SOFT brush and floss daily. I think the enamel may replenish itself...it does after interproximal reduction so I would HOPE it does for erosion...

I know it's a pain, but it will help. His dentist has assured him of that...without actual decay, you're probably okay.

Stop the soda, brush frequently and drink water to rinse off the acid.

I drink 1 soda, 1 fruit water, several iced teas, a coffee (or 2) and WATER between each. My teeth are (as my dentist has told me) beautiful!

Good luck to you and what a GREAT step you've made toward oral health!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Laqia

#3 Post by Laqia »

Thanks - just got back from the orth, apparently everythings okay. Panic attack averted. Thank you both for the advice.