Elastics??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NuckingFuts

Elastics??

#1 Post by NuckingFuts »

I've been braced for about 8 months now and during my last adjustment I got elastics. My question is does this mean that my treatment is leaning towards the final stages? Also, how long did it take for any of you to get debanded once your ortho started using elastics. Thanks.

pucca26

#2 Post by pucca26 »

My ortho told me that elastics are used at the end of the treatment to rotate teeth that brackets couldn’t fix. She also told me that people have to use them for at least 2 months. But I’m in the very beginning so I can’t tell you from my experience.

Good luck :mrgreen:
Upper Lingual Braces - On, April 7th, 2006 - Off, August 23rd, 2007
Lower Inspire Ice Braces - On, June 9th, 2006 - Off, January 3rd, 2008

missingu

#3 Post by missingu »

I hope this doesn't depress you...

I was told to expect elastics on the 3rd adjustment and to expect to have them on an ongoing basis for the full 18 months. I think a lot depends on what the ortho is using them for; for me the issue is having "no bite" (neither over nor under) but my teeth land directly on top of one another and I am wearing down my lower teeth so the elastics will be moving the lower teeth back. I think there is so much variation with how they are used that checking with the ortho may be your best bet.

NuckingFuts

#4 Post by NuckingFuts »

Thanks for your replies guys. I've always thought that elastics were used in the last stages of treatment. All my co-workers told me this so I got all excited about getting them off LOL

alexa

Re: Elastics??

#5 Post by alexa »

NuckingFuts wrote:I've been braced for about 8 months now and during my last adjustment I got elastics. My question is does this mean that my treatment is leaning towards the final stages? Also, how long did it take for any of you to get debanded once your ortho started using elastics. Thanks.
Ditto to what missingu said. It really just depends on what the ortho is trying to accomplish in your treatment. Some people only need them for a couple of months near the end of treatment, some people don't even need them at all...and then some people are like me and they got elastics at the second adjustment, and nearly 13 months later still has them.

Best to ask your ortho...good luck!
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

Azalin

#6 Post by Azalin »

If they being used for closing spaces, then you're somewhat close to the end.

weird_wired

#7 Post by weird_wired »

I've had elastics since the second or third month. Some people just start them earlier.

I've got a powerchain on the lowers for this month to close gaps, and I am half way through (6-7 months to go).