For how long have you been ignoring your problem?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Joanna20

For how long have you been ignoring your problem?

#1 Post by Joanna20 »

I've been ignoring my problem for 6 years, when I finished my 1st orthodontic treatment, because the teeth weren't straight enough and they've became worse with time... I'm one of those extraction cases... basacly I was 14 and sick of having a metal mouth - so stupid!
What about you?

Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

That's an interesting question.

I've never had a bite problem. I did have 3 baby teeth still. I'm 22. So I ignored that until last november when one of the baby teeth broke into 3 pieces! I had to go see a dentist at that point and he was/is amazing and that helped my fear of doctors...I'm really thankful for my dentist because he changed my view on how I see dentists...That's when I chose to get braces...to fix a dental crossbite and I guess to just straighten my teeth as well.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

JoeMama

#3 Post by JoeMama »

yes - fun question Joanna!

About 8 years.... And my teeth had definitely gotten worse as I waited. I was too much of a chicken, and in denial. It's one of those things that's easy to put off if you're not really into having braces. So many other things to do than make that phone call to the ortho... :D

My rude awakening was visiting a close family member with the same "tooth genes" and problems. They're older so I got a glimpse of what was in store for me without braces, sort of like the ghost of Christmas Future. Came home and set up the consults right away!
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

swan

#4 Post by swan »

Not at all. I went ahead with it shortly after my dentist told me it would be a good idea to have braces in order to avoid future problems.
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

nimo

#5 Post by nimo »

I ignored my problems until seventh grade, when I noticed a lot of other people with braces. I started changing how I smiled (to say that I hardly smiled at all, always covered my mouth when I did, etc.). I got a little hopeful when I went to the dentist for the first time when I was 17 and the dentist told my mom I needed to see an orthodontist. But nothing came of it. So now I'm 25, and finally taking care of the problem.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

NuckingFuts

#6 Post by NuckingFuts »

I put them off for a long time. My friends would crack jokes and my dentist would always tell me but I never thought my teeth were that bad. I also thought it was too late to get them since I was already out of high school and in my 3rd year of college. Then a year ago, my friend and his brother-in-law both got them and it got the ball rolling towards my treatment. I went with his ortho and got a good deal.

pucca26

#7 Post by pucca26 »

I used removable orthodontic when I was about 10-12 years old, when I saw my teeth were straightened, I said I finished and never went back to the ortho again, when I saw my teeth were moving, I used it again, but one day I realized that it didn’t’ fit into my mouth any more, when my wisdow tooth appeared my mouth became a mess. One day when I was 19 I saw myself in the mirror and starting crying, I when to an ortho, she said I could used ceramic brackets, but was very disappointed for may age said that I was too old for orthodontic and because of that my treatment would be very slow, she almost shouted when she saw my mouth (at that time it was not so common to see adults wearing braces) and had her waiting room full of children running and shouting , when I told my best friend about starting the treatment , she said I would look like an idiot wearing braces (she also had nightmares about everybody wearing braces) and plus I was in love with a 12 years older guy and I didn’t want he sees me even younger wearing braces… 7 years passed until I finally started the treatment.
Upper Lingual Braces - On, April 7th, 2006 - Off, August 23rd, 2007
Lower Inspire Ice Braces - On, June 9th, 2006 - Off, January 3rd, 2008

momof2grlz

#8 Post by momof2grlz »

I've had a deep bite and overjet since I was 6 or 7. I remember my older brothers saying "You're going to have buck teeth if you keep smiling like that". (Like I could help it). Now my younger daughter is developing the same smile. Poor kid. My parents didn't have the money for braces and neither did I when I was younger. At 40-something, after my dentist mentioned braces at every appointment from the time I was 28, I finally decided to quit ignoring the problem and fix it. My smile and bite won't be perfect when I'm done (no surgery), but it should be a whole lot better.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

jaswi

#9 Post by jaswi »

For me I've put it off my whole life. When I was 10 or 11 my parents took me to an orthodontis who recommended what I now know to be a 'bionator' which is a removable thing to pull the bottom jaw forward. The orthodontist didn't say anything about further treatment after that, and didn't explain very well why I would need one of those things, so the idea of orthodontics was abandoned right there. Myself and my parents thought the orthodontist was a quack, and for whatever reason never went to see another one. Hindsight is 20/20, and now of coarse I wish I'd have done something about my teeth when I was young, but oh well I'll get it taken care of now.

alexa

#10 Post by alexa »

I put braces off for about 10 years. When my adult canine teeth came in above the regular arch it was obvious that orthodontic treatment was needed, but I resisted it as a teen. At 22...almost 23, I took the plunge. Now I'm almost 24 and it looks like I'll finally have straight teeth by 25!

Shoulda done this years ago!
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

tofino

An Oprah Moment

#11 Post by tofino »

Hi.

When I was in my teens my mom sent me to an orthodontist in Winnipeg, Manitoba. It was crystal clear then that I had profound problems with my teeth, jaw, profile, and so on. My dad, brilliant and loving as he may be, dismissed the entire notion as trendy, expensive, foolish nonsense. The idea was set aside.

In my 30s I realized that, as strong as I am, people could wound me by commenting on my mouth. I grew weary of that, then sick of it, then finally I did something about it. I was 41.

And even though genuine change happens from the inside, I still think that metal, ceramic, and elastic on the inside of my mouth have caused a great change for me. This evening my ex-wife and I got together for our youngest daughter's four year birthday party. She said, "Holy s*** Glen you're teeth are looking good."

As much as I try to look beyond the superficial and the trivial, I love having braces and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Cheers

Glen

P.S. Not too long ago my dad got dentures. All is good.