Spacers = pain??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jleq

Spacers = pain??

#1 Post by jleq »

I got my spacers put in yesterday. I was told by the office "they might hurt for a while, but tylenol or advil should take care of it."

Well, they didn't hurt until last night, but the pain has been severe. I can't eat anything, and it's driving me insane. I'm missing a wisdom tooth on the top right side of my mouth. It isn't that bad. However, the top left side is.

Is this kind of pain normal? Should I get the wisdom tooth on the top left side of my mouth removed?

OneTime

#2 Post by OneTime »

Sore from spacers is perfectly normal. If it was me I would get the wisdom teeth out. Talk to your dentist.

Do you have crowding?

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

Dark_angel

#3 Post by Dark_angel »

Nobody likes spacers and i think its pretty safe to sure that everyone wanted to rip them out. The pain will ease off in a few days and i wouldnt get that wisdom tooth removed unless the ortho recomends so. If its doing you no harm and wont affect treatment just leave it be.

poloaa

#4 Post by poloaa »

Gosh, i am so scared of the spacers because i don't have them put until may.5, early morning, do u all mean that it makes u not to eat and bite down any food?? does tynenloy help much? (i guess not) Do the spacers make your gum swollen or sore??

Po

OneTime

#5 Post by OneTime »

poloaa wrote:Gosh, i am so scared of the spacers because i don't have them put until may.5, early morning, do u all mean that it makes u not to eat and bite down any food?? does tynenloy help much? (i guess not) Do the spacers make your gum swollen or sore??

Po
I didn't try any pain killer, stuck with the sore until removal day.
Eat soft food, you'll be fine with it. Don't worry about spacer, they are not so bad.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

jleq

#6 Post by jleq »

Thanks for your replies. It's good to know that I'm not experiencing anything out of the ordinary.

mandaluv

#7 Post by mandaluv »

poloaa, not everyone who gets spacers has trouble eating. i got mine in yesterday and i am experiencing an ANNOYING, dull ache.. but i find that i actually like eating. the pressure of eating feels good on my teeth. painkillers don't seem to do anything. i have rubber spacers on my bottom molars and when i bite down, i can feel them with my top teeth. one thing that helps me is to kinda move my jaw up and down lightly like my teeth are jumping on a trampoline. haha. it sounds silly, but it works for me!

bogiee

#8 Post by bogiee »

Just got my spacers this morning it wasnt to bad, my lunch take a little while coz I'm afraid I might brake the spaces but not dinner went fine still slow but Im getting it, pain is little. feels like big chunck of food between your tooth.

celiviel

#9 Post by celiviel »

For me the pain (not even really pain, just soreness and tenderness) was worst on the second or third day, then after that it seemed to ease off until I didn't feel them anymore. Though I had spacers in for longer than most people, it seems like.

Iceolated

#10 Post by Iceolated »

I've had my spacers in for little over a week now. First day or two was uncomfortable but not super painful. At this point, I barely notice them anymore.

The point of spacers is to move your teeth slightly so there is room for banding. When teeth move, it requires the breakdown of tissue, bone etc that is holding them. I think this is where the dull pain comes from when one bites down.

I have also experienced a change in my bite because of my teeth moving. My upper and lower front teeth no longer meet because of the way my back molers have shifted.

None of this produces what I could call pain. I havent' taken a pain killer in over a week. The only time it troubles me is if I bite something especially hard like thick chocolate or my mother-in-laws meatloaf... :lol:

Cheers,

Ice.

Metal uppers May 2, 2006
Metal lowers September 12, 2006
Finally Nekkid July 11, 2007

With braces - pain is gain...

Some things money can't buy.
Thank God great looking teeth aren't one of them.

“But to see her was to love her, Love but her, and love foreverâ€

mrs z

#11 Post by mrs z »

I just got my spacers off Wednesday because the braces went on, but the spacers I had on for 8 days and the first 5 days was AWFUL. They never felt good until I got them off. I found it hard to eat but I managed with LOTS and LOTS of Motrin. Now, dealing with this new pain is anotther story!