Cement and molar bands

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tiffchelle

Cement and molar bands

#1 Post by Tiffchelle »

Hello!
I've been braced for a little over 2 weeks, but because there still wasn't enough space, I was back into spacers, and just got my molar bands yesterday. It feels like there is a lot of gritty stuff in my teeth - guessing it's cement. Anyhow, no matter how vigorously I scrub with my toothbrush, it doesn't seem to budge. My molars now feel all rough, and I'm just wondering if this is normal and will it go away.

Thanks for you help!

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

All the excess cement can be taken off at your next dental cleaning, if you can wait that long. :wink:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

celiviel

#3 Post by celiviel »

I had that problem after they banded my lower right molar--lots of excess cement left on the grinding surface. The toothbrush didn't take it off right away, but now that it's been over a week, most of it's gone. So it might just take a while for it to be brushed (or eaten) off.

Tiffchelle

#4 Post by Tiffchelle »

Thank you all so much for your replies!

KathleenH

#5 Post by KathleenH »

Brushing will smooth it down a bit so it doesn't feel as gritty, but the ortho or dentist can remove the excess at your next visit.
Kathleen

Surgery survivor

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

One thing - not all dentists are willing to try to remove excess cement for fear of loosening or damaging a bracket or such. Mine ws not. Your ortho should be willing to deal with it though.
I got one tough cookie for a hygienist...nothing gets left behind! :lol:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007