Has anyone had a distalizing appliance?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

HeatherLynn

Has anyone had a distalizing appliance?

#1 Post by HeatherLynn »

I have a choice between lower jaw surgery to correct an 8mm overbite. OR having a distalizing appliance to fix it without surgery. I have researched jaw surgery, but cannot find much on the distalizing appliance. This is such a difficult decision to make. So if anyone has ANY type of info. regarding the success or lack of, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!!

missingu

#2 Post by missingu »

I do not have personal experience with either, but I found two web sites that describe different distalizing applicances so you can at least see what they look like and their actions:

www.oc-j.com/issue7/vlock.htm

www.johnsdental.com/articles/ortho/fixed/cddist.htm

Because surgery is irreversible, and movement with an applicance can be adjusted, and less invasive/risky, I generally choose conservative, non-surgical treatments. It's definitely a topic for you and the ortho to discuss, but if s/he pushes surgery, please get at least one more opinion to be sure.

Joanna20

#3 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey, I don't have any experience with it but I might need one of those, since my molars need to be distalized.
Cheers,
Joana

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

fins

#4 Post by fins »

I have - you can pm me if you want.

HeatherLynn

#5 Post by HeatherLynn »

Thanks for all of the replies. I keep flipping back and forth. So many people have had the surgery and are very happy they did it. I have three little one's and dread the thought of recovering. Just dealing with the fact that I will have to wear braces again (after 5 years of them when I was a teenager) is enough. So much to think about!

Meryaten...with regards to the chances of relaspse...do you think there would be a much better risk of that without surgery? That is a good point.

i814u2c

#6 Post by i814u2c »

HI
I have a distalizing appliance. I have springs on both sides pushing the molars back. Trying to push the right back further than the left. I have bands on my 1st premolars that are connected on roof of mouth so that my front teeth do not move forward. Seems to be working for me sofar. My other option is to have teeth pulled.

Good luck
i814u2c
37 YR F METAL TOP AND BOTTOM
TOP ON OCT 04
BOTTOM ON DEC 04

HeatherLynn

#7 Post by HeatherLynn »

I had so many teeth pulled with the first set of braces that they cannot pull anything else. Are the teeth moving quickly for you? How uncomfortable is the appliance??

Samantha08

#8 Post by Samantha08 »

I think my little sister had one of those... she has had braces for about a year and a half or so (she's 13 now) and I remember she had to have something like that to fix her jaw. She really never complained about it, so I think if you can do anything to avoid surgery, thats the best bet. But it's totally up to you :)
Estimated Time: 15-18 months