Listerine opinions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

Listerine opinions

#1 Post by genxsis »

What's the word on Listerine? Good? Bad?

My hygeinist recommended it when my gums were red and tender. Now I have a different hygeniest in the same dentist office and she's telling me that it dries out the gum tissue, so it's NOT good. The dentist himself agrees with that, however, he has a bottle of it sitting in his office ready for use when he's doing work on a patient.

So really, is it good or does it do more harm than good?
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

I've been using Listerine with Fluouride for a long time now. My hygienist has said that my gums are getting much better...Who knows. It's confusing when some people say one product is good and than you have others who say it isn't...I guess in that case you have to go with what you think is good for your teeth...

You could also ask your ortho's opinion on Listerine and if he advices you to use this one or another product...

Good Luck.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

I've been using Listerine with Fluouride for a long time now. My hygienist has said that my gums are getting much better...Who knows. It's confusing when some people say one product is good and than you have others who say it isn't...I guess in that case you have to go with what you think is good for your teeth...

You could also ask your ortho's opinion on Listerine and if he advices you to use this one or another product...

Good Luck.

~~~~~~

swellen

#4 Post by swellen »

The alcohol in it will dry out your mouth generally, but it's the alcohol that kills the bacteria causing infection. I use it all the time and I haven't noticed any problems with drying out my gums or any part of my mouth. You could always use it and then chew sugar free gum to promote saliva flow! :lol:

Whatever you do, though, nothing will make Listerine taste good...

pucca26

#5 Post by pucca26 »

I'm so much used to use listerine that if I didn't I would fell like I didnt' brush my teeth.
Upper Lingual Braces - On, April 7th, 2006 - Off, August 23rd, 2007
Lower Inspire Ice Braces - On, June 9th, 2006 - Off, January 3rd, 2008

Dark_angel

#6 Post by Dark_angel »

I like listerine as a mouthwash but it seems to make my mouth feel like its on fire after about 20 seconds.

kirst1583

#7 Post by kirst1583 »

I like listerine as a mouthwash but it seems to make my mouth feel like its on fire after about 20 seconds.
I gotta agree with you there. I haven't used the mouthwash (well not for a long time anyway), but thought i'd give the listerine toothpaste a try. I like it except for that whole burning feeling. I get that with most toothpastes but with the listerine it's quite extreme. Think i'll be going back to the Colgate next tube!

Flora2006

#8 Post by Flora2006 »

Dark_angel wrote:I like listerine as a mouthwash but it seems to make my mouth feel like its on fire after about 20 seconds.
I completely agree. Listerine is great...but it really does give a burning sensation for a few seconds.

~~~~~~

Leslie022

#9 Post by Leslie022 »

<b>Flora</b>, I've seen you mention Listerine with Fluoride several times. I've looked for it but have yet to see it anywhere! Where do you find it???
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Flora2006

#10 Post by Flora2006 »

Leslie022 - I live in Canada and get it either at a drugstore or even Wal-Mart. I see it anywhere where dental stuff are sold...

Here's a website about Listerine with Fluoride: http://www.pfizer.ca/english/our%20prod ... lt.asp?s=1

I do know that I never saw Listerine with Fluoride a year and a half ago so it's fairly new...I've noticed it last November...and it's Approved by the Canadian Dental Association.

I've noticed that a lot of people here haven't seen Listerine with Fluoride...but I doubt that it would only be sold in Canada? Hopefully you can find it :)

~~~~~~

LUV2SING

Act has a new rinse

#11 Post by LUV2SING »

Hi everyone, I picked up a new Act rinse. It's got the best of both worlds. It has the alcohol in it as well as the fluoride and does not burn like Listerine. It's blue in color and tastes pretty yummy. I think its called "Act 2 in 1." In my opinion, it's better than Listerine. I can't stand the major burn when my mouth is already sore. Anyway, give it a try.

Leslie022

#12 Post by Leslie022 »

Nope, I don't believe it is sold in the US! I wish it were! I'm almost certain it would be cheaper than what I pay for Colgate Phos-Flur!
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Chris

Re: Listerine opinions

#13 Post by Chris »

[quote=]What's the word on Listerine? Good? Bad?

My hygeinist recommended it when my gums were red and tender. ?[/quote]

If your gums are red and tender, I would recommend plain old salt water rinse. Works great and has for years.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007