Finally Braced!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SoCalBoi83

Finally Braced!

#1 Post by SoCalBoi83 »

Hi all. First of all let me introduce myself. My name is Kevin, I'm 22 live in Los Angeles, and I just got my braces put on. I'm very excited because I have been waiting for so long. It's been an expensive trip but I'm glad I am finally to this point. It's hard to pay for braces when you're my age, lol. Especially when you're on your own, and your mouth is a mess.

Anyway 7 fillings, 3 wisdom teeth extracted, and a couple deep cleanings later I finally got my braces put on today. Man the worst part was the spacers. Those things were evil. I can tolerate pain, but that was just ridiculous. From what I have been reading from you all that is the most painful part. Thank god then that it's over.

I have a few questions though, that I hope you all might be able to help me with. I'm getting an expander put on in 2 weeks, and they are hoping that it will widen my upper jaw, but if it doesn't they want to break the jaw in a year and a half. They already want to break my lower jaw in a year and a half and realign it since I have a major under bite/TMJ symptoms. I'm really hoping there is some alternative to breaking one's jaw because I have read people have experienced problems with their jaws years after the surgery. Anyone have any suggestions?

I bought a waterpik today, and a floss threader. I am taking all the necessary precautions to make this experience a smooth one. I have also stocked up on my soup and pasta, lol. Anyone know any other free soft food recipes? lol. Anyway I look forward to hearing your responses, and I look forward to being a part of this community for the next few years! Thanks!
Kevin

perfectangel818

#2 Post by perfectangel818 »

SoCalBoi83, Welcome and congrats! I also had to do major amounts of restorations. I did all of the top restorations and got top braces on the same day. OUCH!

I do want to say to ask your ortho about Damon 3s. I went to a ortho who was talking about breaking my jaws and that scared me away from getting braces. Then I went to a new (and highly recommended) ortho who said that my chances of having extractions and or surgery with Damons was significantly less. We of course have to reevaluate it after 6 months to see how it's going.

Anyway, goodluck and congrats once again! You'll find that everyone on this site is great!
Stacy

SoCalBoi83

#3 Post by SoCalBoi83 »

Wow, Damon 3s huh? Sounds interesting. I will definitely ask him about them when I go to my appt in 2 weeks. What are they exactly? I was reading a couplke places but couldn't find a good answer. Looks like they are brackets? What exactly do they do? Thanks for the help. And thanks for the welcome. I appreciate it!
Kevin

perfectangel818

#4 Post by perfectangel818 »

http://www.ormco.com/damon/theSystem/da ... damon3.cfm

That's the website for damon. There are some people on here that have great reviews and some that have terrible reviews of them.

Here's a picture of mine, sorry it's not very good. I haven't quite figured out the whole taking pictures of my own teeth. lol

Stacy