Whitening Teeth???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CreedAngel81

Whitening Teeth???

#1 Post by CreedAngel81 »

Hi...new here! I was just wondering if whitening your teeth before getting braces is a good idea? Just hoping my teeth are not going to be way too sensitive but want my teeth nice and white for my sapphire braces.
Inspire Ice Sapphire braces top
Metal bottom
Treatment Estimate: 1 yr
Results=Beautiful Smile for Wedding!

Samantha08

#2 Post by Samantha08 »

I wouldnt think so. Im sure you could do it if you want to but I would wait until after the braces come off. The reason I think so is because that might put you at a higher risk of getting white spots since the whitening probably wont last the length of the time you have your braces on. I didnt whiten my teeth before I got my braces on, I just went in all natural and hopefully they'll come out the same lol!
Estimated Time: 15-18 months

SoCalBoi83

#3 Post by SoCalBoi83 »

I whitened my teeth with the crest white strips from the recommendation of my dentist. She said that it would make the braces look shiny, lol. I really like the outcome. My teeth are really white, and my braces look great on them. Also my teeth aren't sensitive at all. But I definitely agree with the others and ask your orthodontist first.
Kevin

CreedAngel81

#4 Post by CreedAngel81 »

Thanks for your input...I've already been whitening off and on for about a week, so I'll just ask my dentist when I go in for my cleaning what he thinks. I can't do the whitening twice a day like it says since my teeth become so sensitive it hurts to breathe. I just wanted pretty white teeth to at least take alittle attention away from a mouth full of metal. Starting to get nervous about all this!
Inspire Ice Sapphire braces top
Metal bottom
Treatment Estimate: 1 yr
Results=Beautiful Smile for Wedding!

chrisd

#5 Post by chrisd »

ortho and dentist said it was fine. much o f the tooth color is from the inner pulp inside the tooth, and it is that pulp that the bleach is changing the color of. not the outer tooth enamel. so whitening and then having brackets hsould not be much of an issue
chris
http://community.webshots.com/user/cruelcanbekind
3m clarity on top changed to supertorque metal
3m victory metals bottom
estimated treatment time 16-20 months

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

Hey, has anyone used whitening toothpaste DURING the time they wore braces and had the braces off? Any difference between where you brushed and the whiteness?
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

blondie111

#7 Post by blondie111 »

My ortho actually suggested I whiten my teeth before I get braced. Long story short, I didn't have time to do it the "professional" way, as intended, but I ended up just doing the Crest Whitestrips Premium for 6 days, and that made a slight improvement. I think he wanted me to do that so the brackets blend in better with the teeth. My teeth were quite yellow, but when you have crooked teeth, why would I make them white and draw MORE attention to them!?!?!

I'm 32 and will be in braces for almost 2 years!

chrisd

#8 Post by chrisd »

i use whitening tooth paste sometimes. just depends on what we happen to buy.

the whitening tooth pastes really are not that great a whitening, so it should not be a problem to use it with braces
chris
http://community.webshots.com/user/cruelcanbekind
3m clarity on top changed to supertorque metal
3m victory metals bottom
estimated treatment time 16-20 months

#9 Post by 6488 »

I’d like to clear up some misconceptions that some have – including some orthodontists.

First, if you want whiter teeth, it is advisable to bleach BEFORE you have orthodontics. With current orthodontics (including Invisalign) we “bondâ€
Dr. Rod Kurthy
www.DentalMiracles.com